Info on the following 2004 2nd round drafted defeseman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanuthier*

In a recent interview with Flames scout Tod Button, he indicated that there was a defenseman the Flames really wanted to choose with their 2nd round pick (46th overall) and I've narrowed down to the following players:

Jordan Smith
Grant Lewis
Mike Funk
Roman Teslivic

Could I get info on any of these guys and what their weaknesses are? Any guesses as to who this player the Flames really wanted is, given the type of players the Flames like to draft (ie. Nystrom, Chucko, Dustin Boyd, Aki Seitsonen...)

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Splatman Phanutier said:
In a recent interview with Flames scout Tod Button, he indicated that there was a defenseman the Flames really wanted to choose with their 2nd round pick (46th overall) and I've narrowed down to the following players:

Jordan Smith
Grant Lewis
Mike Funk
Roman Teslivic

Could I get info on any of these guys and what their weaknesses are? Any guesses as to who this player the Flames really wanted is, given the type of players the Flames like to draft (ie. Nystrom, Chucko, Dustin Boyd, Aki Seitsonen...)

Roman Tesliuk was taken 44th overall by Edmonton. This is the ISS profile:

Has the talent to be a third round steal. A team will have to be patient. He is a player that will need some time to develop. The only knock on him is consistency. Skates well with good agility and mobility. Uses these skating skills to close the gap or join the rush. Passes well and makes good decisions with the puck. Has a good shot. His low offensive numbers are deceiving and do not indicate his potential in this area. Plays a physical game. Battles hard and takes an intense approach in all aspects of the game. A consistent performer.

--------------
I post this since it is available in the sampler offered by ISS on their site. If this is not in keeping with policy my apologies to the mods.

Interesting that for the first half of the season or so, Tesliuk's problem WAS consistency. A very nice update on him can be found in Guy Flaming's HF Article on the Oilers Top 20 that was published last week.

Hope this helps.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Haha, thanks for deciphering that Lowetide... I'd never heard of Roman Teslivic.

He hit it on the head with the ISS description and suggestion to read the Top 20. Both are excellent sources of information.

Basically, he's a big d-man with a big point shot. We Edmonton homers hope to see him anchoring the 2nd PP unit with it one day.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Jordan Smith's style of play and upside would be Adam Foote.

Pretty good with the puck, solid back on Defense. Willing to fight players bigger than him and goes out of his way to stick up for his teammates.

Phanuthier*

McDonald19 said:
Jordan Smith's style of play and upside would be Adam Foote.

Pretty good with the puck, solid back on Defense. Willing to fight players bigger than him and goes out of his way to stick up for his teammates.
What's his downside then? No offense, but if he had the upside of a player like Adam Foote, he'd probably be drafted a little higher, no? Either that or he's one hellova steal.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Splatman Phanutier said:
What's his downside then? No offense, but if he had the upside of a player like Adam Foote, he'd probably be drafted a little higher, no? Either that or he's one hellova steal.

he's more likely to be a second pairing blueliner, mainly defensive with some grit in his game.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Splatman Phanutier said:

He definetly won't put up the points that Foote does.

In style of play though he is comparable to a young Foote.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
It could have been Mike Green. Lots of draft people had him going in the second round. Otherwise I'd guess that Jordan Smith was the guy they wanted.

CurtisJD13

Feb 9, 2005
Michael Funk is almost a direct clone of Ed Jovanovski. The difference in Jovo being a #1 defenseman and Funk being a 2nd round pick is the occasional glaring mistake that Funk will make, making blind passes in front of his own net, turning pucks over at the blue line, pinching at the wrong time. You can see his appeal, however, at 6'4 and about 200 pounds, I think Buffalo can mold him a little bit, and maybe he can become a top 4 defenseman.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
CurtisJD13 said:
Michael Funk is almost a direct clone of Ed Jovanovski. The difference in Jovo being a #1 defenseman and Funk being a 2nd round pick is the occasional glaring mistake that Funk will make, making blind passes in front of his own net, turning pucks over at the blue line, pinching at the wrong time.

That sounds a little like Jovanoski to me. ;)

Phanuthier*

West said:
It could have been Mike Green. Lots of draft people had him going in the second round. Otherwise I'd guess that Jordan Smith was the guy they wanted.
I was thinking Mike Green, but I saw alot of mock draft's slating him low 1st, early 2nd... Button said he thought his player X would be there, so I can't imagine it being Green.

Thanks for the responses btw.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Lowetide said:
Roman Tesliuk was taken 44th overall by Edmonton. This is the ISS profile:

Has the talent to be a third round steal. A team will have to be patient. He is a player that will need some time to develop. The only knock on him is consistency. Skates well with good agility and mobility. Uses these skating skills to close the gap or join the rush. Passes well and makes good decisions with the puck. Has a good shot. His low offensive numbers are deceiving and do not indicate his potential in this area. Plays a physical game. Battles hard and takes an intense approach in all aspects of the game. A consistent performer.

--------------
I post this since it is available in the sampler offered by ISS on their site. If this is not in keeping with policy my apologies to the mods.

Interesting that for the first half of the season or so, Tesliuk's problem WAS consistency. A very nice update on him can be found in Guy Flaming's HF Article on the Oilers Top 20 that was published last week.

Hope this helps.

not a knock on you but ISS:

what? Am I the only one missing this?

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Splatman Phanutier said:

Jordan Smith
Grant Lewis
Mike Funk
Roman Teslivic

How did you narrow it down to those players?

What happened to Schultz, Fistric, Green, Rogers, and Stephenson?

Any one of the those guys could be the guy they were coveting as well. Likely not Schultz as it was obvious he wasn't going to be there for our pick in the 2nd round but I don't think you can rule out any of the others.

Why did you drop them?

Phanuthier*

Flames Draft Watcher said:
How did you narrow it down to those players?

What happened to Schultz, Fistric, Green, Rogers, and Stephenson?
Schultz, Fistric, Green and Rogers were all rated high, and I don't think the Flames would have expected any of them to drop to 46.

Stephenson was just a blunder on my part.

maximil

Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
I've only seen Funk play a hand full of times but I would say he isn't at all like Jovanovski. I actually think the HF profile is pretty accurate.

He has got a really nice skill set. He didn't impress me as much when I saw him play this season (only twice) but I really liked his upside in 2003-2004.

If he wants to be an NHL player he needs to add some weight, become more of a physical force, and most importantly concentrate on playing a consistant game.

Good player though. His frame/skills remind me of Isles prospect Ryan Caldwell.

Edit: (I disagree with Caldwell's HF profile but I could be wrong. I haven't seen him play in several years.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad