OT: Info on my Rangers 94 jacket

farsanttfu

Nov 13, 2023
Hey guys,

My father was a big Rangers-fan and got to see them win the Stanley Cup back in 94, he took the long trip from Sweden to NY just to see it, sadly he passed away about a month ago and when I went through some of his stuff I came across this jacket that he bought in NY 1994/1995. I don't find this item anywhere on Internet today and was hoping that someone here have some backstory about it- where was it sold? How much did it cost back then and what could it possibly be worth today? Was it a limited edition?

I'll wear it on the streets here in Sweden with pride either way, but hopefully some backstory would be cool about this jacket.

Thanks in advance and Go Rangers!

Attachments

• IMG_4208.jpeg
    IMG_4208.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4211.jpeg
    IMG_4211.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 3

DrandonBudinsky

Mar 15, 2022
SadisonMareGarden
I’m sorry for your loss. It’s cool that you are continuing your dad’s memory by wearing it there in Sweden.

Growing up in NY during the Cup year era, I can say I’ve not come across this style jacket. Most of the kids who wore Rangers jackets back then had the puffy style Starter, Pro Player, Logo7, Apex etc. branded jackets. I associated the DeLong brand with their varsity/letterman style jackets, but not this style of pullover.

Having said that, perhaps this Rangers jacket your dad bought was a special Cup commemorative run he picked up in the city after they won. Those special patches would’ve taken time to embroider and I can’t imagine they had those pre-mass produced in case the Canucks won. I can’t remember seeing something like this at Modell’s, though. (That was NY’s sporting goods chain at the height of Ranger-mania. But I could be wrong) Too bad Cosby’s is no longer around because those folks may have known where this was sold.

As far as what it may be worth, 1994 is starting to get further and further away. Folks who lived through that Cup run would probably pay $100-$150+ for it while the youger fans may not have such an attachment to that team. But, you have a nice story to associate with this jacket and that’s worth more than anything anyone would ever pay you. LGR!

farsanttfu

Nov 13, 2023
I’m sorry for your loss. It’s cool that you are continuing your dad’s memory by wearing it there in Sweden.

Growing up in NY during the Cup year era, I can say I’ve not come across this style jacket. Most of the kids who wore Rangers jackets back then had the puffy style Starter, Pro Player, Logo7, Apex etc. branded jackets. I associated the DeLong brand with their varsity/letterman style jackets, but not this style of pullover.

Having said that, perhaps this Rangers jacket your dad bought was a special Cup commemorative run he picked up in the city after they won. Those special patches would’ve taken time to embroider and I can’t imagine they had those pre-mass produced in case the Canucks won. I can’t remember seeing something like this at Modell’s, though. (That was NY’s sporting goods chain at the height of Ranger-mania. But I could be wrong) Too bad Cosby’s is no longer around because those folks may have known where this was sold.

As far as what it may be worth, 1994 is starting to get further and further away. Folks who lived through that Cup run would probably pay $100-$150+ for it while the youger fans may not have such an attachment to that team. But, you have a nice story to associate with this jacket and that’s worth more than anything anyone would ever pay you. LGR!
Thank you for the answer! Yes I've scanned the whole internet (ok, not the whole but a lot of sites) and don't find it anywhere- I can see some 90s NYR-jackets are up for sale around 3-400 dollars on eBay. It's not up for sale but would be cool to know if this is a "super rare" and if someone have seen it before

The investigation continues..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad