Info on Matt Niskanen and Paul Stastny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
I don't know much about either... but since no one's giving a care, I might try...

Niskanen is an extremely skilled athlete. He's more of an offensive dman, needs work on his defensive play. Should burst as a top 4 PP QB in the NHL.

Stastny is a fiesty little player that has good offensive flair and I haven't read much bad about his defensive game... given Colorado's depth (or lack thereof) he's a good bet for the second line role, one day.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
KILLger said:
I don't know much about either... but since no one's giving a care, I might try...

Niskanen is an extremely skilled athlete. He's more of an offensive dman, needs work on his defensive play. Should burst as a top 4 PP QB in the NHL.

Stastny is a fiesty little player that has good offensive flair and I haven't read much bad about his defensive game... given Colorado's depth (or lack thereof) he's a good bet for the second line role, one day.

I'd pencil in Stastny at the 2nd line as well. As for Niskanen, i'd say bottom pairing offensive d-man that doesn't pay attention to his defensive duties. Just an opinion though.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
As far as Niskanen goes. MN HS hockey has its greats and its could be greats and the guys that... Leopold, Housley, Martin, turned out. RJ Anderson, Lee seem to be getting hype. Then Mills, Finneagan, Angel all were all state players and 2 made it major D1 and Finneagan went junior and never went on. So as fas as history goes all his hype is based on potential. He is a great athlete. Has O moves like a forward. Is pretty money on a break away and has the speed to break away. I think he will turn out to be just fine and may surprise. Many people scrathched their heads at Wheeler and he was mostly all hype. So i would wait to pass judgement untill his sophmore year. Leopold, Ballard, Martin and Carle all put up 23-28 points in their freshman years Suter put up 19. Niskanen in tUMD is not coming into nearly a sweet situation as any of those guys. Look for about 15-25 points with some amazing plays and some fresh mistakes on D.

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:
As far as Niskanen goes. MN HS hockey has its greats and its could be greats and the guys that... Leopold, Housley, Martin, turned out. RJ Anderson, Lee seem to be getting hype. Then Mills, Finneagan, Angel all were all state players and 2 made it major D1 and Finneagan went junior and never went on. So as fas as history goes all his hype is based on potential. He is a great athlete. Has O moves like a forward. Is pretty money on a break away and has the speed to break away. I think he will turn out to be just fine and may surprise. Many people scrathched their heads at Wheeler and he was mostly all hype. So i would wait to pass judgement untill his sophmore year. Leopold, Ballard, Martin and Carle all put up 23-28 points in their freshman years Suter put up 19. Niskanen in tUMD is not coming into nearly a sweet situation as any of those guys. Look for about 15-25 points with some amazing plays and some fresh mistakes on D.

I'd love to have some news on Anderson... yeah I drafted him in my sim league because I had heard good stuff about him, but isnce then, nothing...

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
If i had to comapre Lee, Niskanen and Anderson to past MH HS D men it go like this.

Niskanen. Keith Ballard but a little more controlled. When i saw Niskanen in person and on TV for the state tourney as with all the others. He would get caught way up ice. Had one great break away move. Brought it in with speed. Broke down and got control. dragged the puck from the goalies right to left. Waited for him to open up and buried it 5 hole. He missed another one simular to that and being the last guy in the wrong zone as a d man is not good. Not as physical as Ballards was but has that O recklass side to him.

Brian Lee. Paul Martin. Both tall and slim looking. Both get the job done. Whether it be passing, shooting or tying the right guy up. Have the smarts and know how to get the most of their abilities.

RJ Anderson. Jordan Leopold. Both about the same size. RJ should fill out at about 6 feet to 6'2. And he is over 200 right now not much though. Will play physical and jumps in the play well. Last year he tried to do too much. So he needs to realx a bit.

All three played in the state tourney. If anyone can the tourney has a lot of great players. From last year and the year before. Blake Wheeler, TJ Oshie, Chris Vandevelde, Brian Lee, Matt Niskanen, Tom Gorowski, RJ Anderson, Alex Stalock, Robbie Dee and then guys like Nate Hagemo played as a fresh and then went out to the U18 team. There are more but it is not hockey season yet.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
MN_Gopher said:
If i had to comapre Lee, Niskanen and Anderson to past MH HS D men it go like this.

Niskanen. Keith Ballard but a little more controlled. When i saw Niskanen in person and on TV for the state tourney as with all the others. He would get caught way up ice. Had one great break away move. Brought it in with speed. Broke down and got control. dragged the puck from the goalies right to left. Waited for him to open up and buried it 5 hole. He missed another one simular to that and being the last guy in the wrong zone as a d man is not good. Not as physical as Ballards was but has that O recklass side to him.

Brian Lee. Paul Martin. Both tall and slim looking. Both get the job done. Whether it be passing, shooting or tying the right guy up. Have the smarts and know how to get the most of their abilities.

RJ Anderson. Jordan Leopold. Both about the same size. RJ should fill out at about 6 feet to 6'2. And he is over 200 right now not much though. Will play physical and jumps in the play well. Last year he tried to do too much. So he needs to realx a bit.

All three played in the state tourney. If anyone can the tourney has a lot of great players. From last year and the year before. Blake Wheeler, TJ Oshie, Chris Vandevelde, Brian Lee, Matt Niskanen, Tom Gorowski, RJ Anderson, Alex Stalock, Robbie Dee and then guys like Nate Hagemo played as a fresh and then went out to the U18 team. There are more but it is not hockey season yet.

mn state tourney time = the most wonderful time of the year

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Is Paul Anton's or Marian's son, or is he Yan's brother (ie Peter's son)?

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
KILLger said:

At 6'1 and 201 pounds, I don't feel that Stastny his build like a lady. So the word little should be banned of your vocalubary when you talk about Stastny :dunno:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Marc-E- said:
At 6'1 and 201 pounds, I don't feel that Stastny his build like a lady. So the word little should be banned of your vocalubary when you talk about Stastny :dunno:
He's filled out pretty well for a freshman and he did alot of his work close to the net, specificaly in the national title game versus NoDak's "NHL sized defence"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->