Influx of young stars for playoff drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

errantpass

Sep 23, 2004
where am I?
So here's a question: Are there any rules against young players from other leagues (Russia, Junior, etc) joining NHL teams for the stretch drives and playoffs once their leagues' seasons end? I remeber Tikkanen doing this so many years ago. How about a guy like Malkin helping Pitt once the RSL season ends in March/April? How about Schremp giving a PP booster shot to my Oilers during their last minute scrambles to make the final playoff spot? :)

There are a few players that would be responsible/ mature enough to jump into a playoff drive, but with new CBA restrictions such as the salary cap and earlier trade deadline, maybe some of these players become the best options to provide affordable infusions of skill and youthful enthusiasm? The partial season would not count against the 7 years to unrestricted free agency since less than 40 games would be played.

Any hockey lawyers out there? :dunno:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
errantpass said:
So here's a question: Are there any rules against young players from other leagues (Russia, Junior, etc) joining NHL teams for the stretch drives and playoffs once their leagues' seasons end? I remeber Tikkanen doing this so many years ago. How about a guy like Malkin helping Pitt once the RSL season ends in March/April? How about Schremp giving a PP booster shot to my Oilers during their last minute scrambles to make the final playoff spot? :)

There are a few players that would be responsible/ mature enough to jump into a playoff drive, but with new CBA restrictions such as the salary cap and earlier trade deadline, maybe some of these players become the best options to provide affordable infusions of skill and youthful enthusiasm? The partial season would not count against the 7 years to unrestricted free agency since less than 40 games would be played.

Any hockey lawyers out there? :dunno:

Yes, it is possible (and not that all uncommon) for young players to join NHL teams near the end of the season. In fact under the old (expired) CBA, the 23 man (and earlier 24 man) max roster limit was only in effect until the trading deadline - after that there was no limit to the number of players who could be called up.

However there are some limitations and caveats, IIRC:

- Players in Juniors cannot leave and join their NHL teams untill their Junior teams season and playoffs are over.

- Players who play a game overseas after the start of the regular season must clear waivers to return to the NHL. I'm not certain if that holds true after the overseas (Europe/Russia/etc) league season is over.

- If a player on an ELS contract plays 10 or more NHL games (regular season or playoffs) as an 18yo or 19yo, that counts as an ELS year and his ELS contract ages. If an 18yo or 19yo play less than 10 games (or doesn't play any, obviously), his ELS contract is automatically extened by another year. It is very unlikely that a team will burn a year of inexpensive ELS status for a player by letting him play 10 or more games. Caveat: these were the terms of ELS contracts under the old CBA, but it is reasonable to assume they still hold.

- An 18yo or 19yo player who plays 10 or more NHL games (regular season or playoffs) earns a year of Professional Experience for arbitration eligibility. A 20yo (or older player) earns a year of Professional Experience by playing in 10 professional (NHL or AHL) games under NHL contract.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad