inflationary system

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
DR said:
how come the rest of us monkeys are allowed to work in a system where our wages are allowed to inflate at the pace we set and the players arent ?

dr

You set your own raises? Please PM the place of your employment.

Lanny MacDonald*

DR said:
how come the rest of us monkeys are allowed to work in a system where our wages are allowed to inflate at the pace we set and the players arent ?

dr

And where is this fantasy workplace? You get minimum 10% raises no matter how bad your performance? You get opportunities to see your base salary double or triple? You get to challenge the company to go to arbitration to settle for a huge raise? I don't think so. The Calgary economy is reportedly booming, but not to the level where these things happen.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
The Iconoclast said:
And where is this fantasy workplace? You get minimum 10% raises no matter how bad your performance? You get opportunities to see your base salary double or triple? You get to challenge the company to go to arbitration to settle for a huge raise? I don't think so. The Calgary economy is reportedly booming, but not to the level where these things happen.
fair enough, but i also am not drafted by my company.

however, if one of my staff feel that they are worth more than we pay them, they are free to walk into my office and demand a raise.

doesnt mean they will get it, but the fact remains they are not excluded from asking.

dr

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
DR said:
if you are in the top % of what you do, you can set your price.

And this would still be the case for NHL players under a hard cap. Individual players at the top end of the performance scale could still ask for a higher rate. I am sure that your company quite likely is operating under a cap, I have never worked for a company and that had no limits attached to employee payroll. Any properly organized company works under a budget that establishes cost certainty to all of the elements needed to create revenues.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
DR said:
you dont ?

if you are in the top % of what you do, you can set your price.

dr

This, of course, is not true. The best garbage collector in the planet cannot command a $1 million salary. The best CEO in the country cannot command a $1 billion salary.
Everything is tied to revenues. Except in hockey and baseball, that is.

Lanny MacDonald*

DR said:
fair enough, but i also am not drafted by my company.

however, if one of my staff feel that they are worth more than we pay them, they are free to walk into my office and demand a raise.

doesnt mean they will get it, but the fact remains they are not excluded from asking.

dr

And if your staff walk in demand a raise what do you normally do? Look to see if you have budget space (space capped by your accounting department and board of directors I might add ;) ) and then decide if their performance merits the raise. You also have to balance out what this raise will do to the rest of your salary structure and the ripple effect as you get a long line of other employees coming in looking for raises as well when they hear "Bob" got a raise.

Odds are you are going to take the company stance, since you really don't have the authority nor the power to grant raises yourself, and say that the issue will be reviewed by HR and that, unless a change in position or responsibility is in order as well, a standard cost of living bump is all that you will be able to do. That may not work for the employee in question, but the person does have the option of finding a job elsewhere (a long and timely process with a forfeiture of many benefits that take place because of the loss of tenure with the company). You can explain this to them along with the odds of finding that other job where the pay is better is a roll of the dice. The best thing to do is wish the employee luck and tell them you will be happy to give them a reference. That should allow you to get back to that double mochacinno latte and bear claw sitting next to your keyboard!

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
CarlRacki said:
This, of course, is not true. The best garbage collector in the planet cannot command a $1 million salary. The best CEO in the country cannot command a $1 billion salary.

Does your place of employment provide you with a fixed percentage of it's revenues? It strikes me that the NBA and NFL are rare in that they are workplaces that do. The best hockey player in the world can't command a $15 million salary-hell, if he doesn't have arbitration rights, he can't really demand anything.

As for the guy talking about how he wasn't drafted-the industry in which you work doesn't depend on having at least of semblance of competitive balance in order to sell product. The NHL does. The tradeoff that the players get in return for agreeing to this are pretty huge financial rewards. We've talked about what a no-draft NHL would look like, and while a few teams would thrive, the majority of them would not do well at all. That's fewer big paying jobs. The players benefit as well from a draft based system of allocating talent.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
mudcrutch79 said:
As for the guy talking about how he wasn't drafted-the industry in which you work doesn't depend on having at least of semblance of competitive balance in order to sell product. The NHL does. The tradeoff that the players get in return for agreeing to this are pretty huge financial rewards. .

Agree. No one is forcing Andrew Ladd to move to Raleigh. He can work at Starbucks in Calgary, go to University wherever he likes, or play hockey in Europe.

But if he wants to play in the NHL..there have to be tradeoffs

In exchange for huge financial payoffs (let's be honest regardless of CBA system), first class travel, generous per diems and the opportunity for a pension, the tradeoff for poor Mr Ladd is he should have to report to wherever he's drafted (for a handsome capped salary in the 800k-1.3 M range), then he's into a system with qualifying offers, arbitration eligibility, restricted and then unrestricted free agency at 31 (currently). At the end of the day he can 'retire' in his mid 30s and live wherever he wants

Yes there are some artificial restrictions on NHL players that don't exist in many professions, but as you say that's the price of needing to have a league with some sort of competitive balance. Its up to the player whether this is a good workplace for them or not I guess :dunno:

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
CarlRacki said:
sorry, you are describing a budget, not a salary cap. all businesses run on budgets. the players never claimed otherwise.

and of course a garbage collector cannot command a salary of 1 million dollars, because he can not quantify his economic contrbution. a CEO can and might eventually be able to demand 1 billion dollars. although its highly unlikely. however, many CEO's recieve hefty bonuses even when their companies are losing many more millions than any NHL team.

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
looooob said:
Agree. No one is forcing Andrew Ladd to move to Raleigh. He can work at Starbucks in Calgary, go to University wherever he likes, or play hockey in Europe.

But if he wants to play in the NHL..there have to be tradeoffs

In exchange for huge financial payoffs (let's be honest regardless of CBA system), first class travel, generous per diems and the opportunity for a pension, the tradeoff for poor Mr Ladd is he should have to report to wherever he's drafted (for a handsome capped salary in the 800k-1.3 M range), then he's into a system with qualifying offers, arbitration eligibility, restricted and then unrestricted free agency at 31 (currently). At the end of the day he can 'retire' in his mid 30s and live wherever he wants

Yes there are some artificial restrictions on NHL players that don't exist in many professions, but as you say that's the price of needing to have a league with some sort of competitive balance. Its up to the player whether this is a good workplace for them or not I guess :dunno:
i am not arguing your points. however, whenever i hear a poster claim the players offer will only see their salaries rise again, i cant help but wonder "who cares".

why shouldnt they have that same opportunity to have their salaries rise that the rest of us professionals have ?

dr

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
DR said:
i am not arguing your points. however, whenever i hear a poster claim the players offer will only see their salaries rise again, i cant help but wonder "who cares".

why shouldnt they have that same opportunity to have their salaries rise that the rest of us professionals have ?

If they had the same opportunity that everyone else had, it'd be bad for the success of the game at the NHL level. The NHL couldn't exist as a 30 team entity with unfettered free agency. Agreeing to these restraints helps preserve the golden goose. It's in their interests to do this.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
mudcrutch79 said:
If they had the same opportunity that everyone else had, it'd be bad for the success of the game at the NHL level. The NHL couldn't exist as a 30 team entity with unfettered free agency. Agreeing to these restraints helps preserve the golden goose. It's in their interests to do this.
yes, this is true. i dont believe the players ever offered a system of unfettered free agency though.

the argument against the players proposal was that it would do nothing to curb inflation. i think that could be argued, however even if it allows for inflating salaries, i fail to see why we should be so against that just because "its inflationary".

dr

Lanny MacDonald*

DR said:

dr

Because they are unrealistic. YOU don't get to cash-in after one year of success. Only through many years of success do you get a chance to make big big dollars like these clowns, er NHL players do. Also, when you screw up, and have a bad year, you lose your job and a lot of the money and benefits that go with it. The NHL players don't have to worry about this. One good year is all it takes then they can coast through the rest of their career, knowing it is very unlikely they will every have to take a backward step in earning potential. Its an unrealistic market that needs to be fixed.

Go Flames Go*

DR said:

dr

There salaries will rise with the payrolls ranges system. The NHL has been so generous in there offer that the range will clearly go up every year.

I never knew in Calgary you can demand and set your own salaries. Hell im going to McDonalds and telling them im coming to work, but I want $17.95 an hour and not the $5.95 you pay everyone with no room for growth.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
DR said:
the argument against the players proposal was that it would do nothing to curb inflation. i think that could be argued, however even if it allows for inflating salaries, i fail to see why we should be so against that just because "its inflationary".

The inflationary argument is a bit ridiculous. It allows players to get the price that the market establishes. What the system ignores is that it's a bit of a false market. What makes sense in the context of a scheme designed to leverage an arena without any rent payments out of a team and develop the real estate around it, doesn't necessarily make sense in the context of a business where the hockey team is the sole revenue generating part of the business plan.

I think we should be against the players proposal because it does nothing to address the fact that once a player is arbitration eligible, he can peg his salary to the dumbest one out there. I've said over and over here that arbitration should focus on finding a salary that makes sense in the context of the market and business plan in which the team is operating. Then let the comparable players pool and share some of their salaries to account for the fact that some of them play in markets where the business plan doesn't involve real estate schemes. It's complicatd and difficult to figure out how to do that, but there is no easy solution to this.

Brent Burns Beard