Music: Industrial music

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Nine Inch Nails really brought industrial rock to the mainstream. Everything up to The Slip is great. Afterwards, Trent kind of takes them into a different direction (more electronic based as opposed to his original industrial roots)

You may like The Downwards Spiral and Fragile if you're into darkness, but I would definitely start with Pretty Hate Machine and go through the years.

Also, you won't find a better live act than NIN so check out their live stuff as well

Reactions: Hippasus

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
NIN is about the only industrial music I regularly listen too. To a lesser extent some Ministry and Rob Zombie stuff.

The funny thing with Industrial rock/music is the name does not come from the sound of the music but supposedly from the label that started it all, Industrial Records.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
pretty much anything off ministry's second and third album. twitch particularly, is one of my favorite 80s albums

NIN's first two albums were great but i lost interest in them after that

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Foetus and Einsturzende Neubauten are probably the only ones I've heard that I liked, though I don't listen to them a ton either. Didn't like the big NIN albums.

Last edited:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I'm trying to post Cabaret Voltaire: Micro-Phonies, but unsucessfully.

EDIT:

It's supposed to be a full album. 11 tracks or so.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
One of the big problems we saw in a lot of industrial bands, especially after the 90s, was a rather conservative and lack of sound design ongoing in industrial, including artists relying on synth presets. It was really annoying if you were in the local goth bar and you could identify the synth not by how the filters worked against the oscillators or weird resonances in the synth, but rather you could identify the name of the patch they were using. Apparently if you wanted competent sound design, you had to venture further than just industrial or ebm.

Either you went industrial techno like Industrial Strength Records operated by Lenny Dee or PRSPCT Records. Looking for albums would be a limited endeavor. You're looking for mixtapes with this:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Industrial seems to me to be unique in terms of how much many artists used vocal samples. Skinny Puppy and Ministry are obvious examples. There ended up being more copyright laws enforced circa the late 80s (perhaps around Beastie Boys: Paul's Boutique album, other hip-hop, and 80s industrial). It's just so awesome when one hears "You Know What You Are!" over and over to a heavy danceable synth track. It's a sample from the movie The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
pretty much anything off ministry's second and third album. twitch particularly, is one of my favorite 80s albums

NIN's first two albums were great but i lost interest in them after that
The Downwards Spiral and The Fragile are masterpieces

Reactions: beowulf

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I like a lot of beat-heavy and dark industrial dance music like Front 242, Skinny Puppy, Ministry, Nitzer Ebb, and Godflesh. Do you have good albums in this vein or otherwise?

I like the Swedish band Spark! And also Project Pitchfork, Suicide Commando and Wumpscut.

It seems you are into EBM and maybe its subgenre aggrotech.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
For dance-oriented stuff you could look into industrial techno and/or power noise. They tend to have some harsher soundscapes while maintaining a club-type rhythm.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I dabble with some Pitchshifter here and there and got free Tix to see KMFDM live ages ago, got introduced to them from the first mortal Kombat movie / soundtrack. Perfect soundtrack that mixes metal and industrial or techno/dance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad