Indian Hockey Players

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
I watched a short documentary on India's ice hockey team and it really made me become intrigued in how hockey is developing in India and the different players that are helping to advance the sport over there. In the region of Ladakh, northern India, they are extremely passionate about hockey and love playing it. India's hockey team is rather new and has only competed in Challenge Cup of Asia tournaments. There are a few players from those teams I found to be especially interesting.

Tsewang Gyaltson and Amit Belwal are two of the better players on the team. Gyaltson played in his first CCoA in 2013 at the age of 20, was names an asisstant captain the next year, and the year after was names captain, a position he's held ever since. Belwal played in his first CCoa at 19 in 2012, and has been an assistant captain ever since. On top of playing for the national team, Gyaltson is also the head coach of the Women's national team, while Belwal is an assisstant coach on the team. In between their duties as players and coaches, both Gyaltson and Belwal also recently became certified IIHF linsemen.

I thought these facts and accomplishments were super interesting and figured I'd share my interest with you guys. On a side note, have any of you ever heard of a player who was also a coach and certified official while still being an active player?

Reactions: Macbanan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad