Increasing speed in BALL hockey

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
I would like to know how I can increase my speed in BALL hockey. In the last few months I've been doing running, anywhere from 2Km to 5km. I take a 10-minute break and do sprintings like two 200-meter sprintings (38 seconds each) and four 25meter-sprintings (4.2 seconds each). That running has been making a great difference in my playing since I can run faster and longer because my muscles no longer hurt that much and I'm not that much out of breath anymore. Are there specific exercises I should do to run even faster? Thanks! ;)

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
I sometimes have pain in the knees and in the legs that slows me down. Is it recommended to wear a knee protector or bandage around your knee or on specific body parts to help you in the running? The other day I put my hands around the place on the side below the ribs tightly and noticed it was easier to walk. I thought I could wear something on that part.

Skyblaze

Aug 17, 2006
Montreal
Are your shoes getting old? Running with bad shoes tends to cause knee pain after a while.

Also, make sure to practice running backwards, sidesteps and five-steps dashes with plenty of direction changes. That will improve quickness much more than just straight out running.

Leeroy Jenkins

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
I would like to know how I can increase my speed in BALL hockey. In the last few months I've been doing running, anywhere from 2Km to 5km. I take a 10-minute break and do sprintings like two 200-meter sprintings (38 seconds each) and four 25meter-sprintings (4.2 seconds each). That running has been making a great difference in my playing since I can run faster and longer because my muscles no longer hurt that much and I'm not that much out of breath anymore. Are there specific exercises I should do to run even faster? Thanks! ;)
If your going to be playing ball hockey in an arena, I recommed you buy a good pair of running shoes. The arena floor can be hard on your feet, try looking for a pair of shoes which can absorb the impact.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
Thanks, Skyblaze. I overlooked the importance of moving quickly in all directions. I will surely follow your advice.

Good point on the shoes. I ran a 5km race today with brand new shoes that were recommended to me by an expert at the race event who knows much more than just an ordinary shoe seller. I used basketball shoes for running and playing ball hockey. Now that I've tried those new shoes, made for running, I can say for sure that I was hurting myself with those basketball shoes.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
If your going to be playing ball hockey in an arena, I recommed you buy a good pair of running shoes. The arena floor can be hard on your feet, try looking for a pair of shoes which can absorb the impact.

I just did, Leafsin. My new running shoes have a lot of cushion and described as medium-stability. I have flat feet. I feel much better in them. The only problem I encountered with them during my race today was that they gave me two beautiful blisters at the back on my heels... :cry:

Leeroy Jenkins

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
I just did, Leafsin. My new running shoes have a lot of cushion and described as medium-stability. I have flat feet. I feel much better in them. The only problem I encountered with them during my race today was that they gave me two beautiful blisters at the back on my heels... :cry:
Yeah I have flat feet also, I used to get lower back pain. But I just recently got orthotics for my running shoes, and I've haven't had any seroius back for a while now. I was lucky that my fathers insurance covered the cost for the orthotics because there quite expensive.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Learn to racewalk, the Olympic sport. It will improve your first step, endurance and coordination like nothing else.

Yureeka47*

Google a training method called "HIIT" or, High Intensity Interval Training.

The thing turned me into a machine. I don't get tired and I run faster than ever.

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
Google a training method called "HIIT" or, High Intensity Interval Training.

The thing turned me into a machine. I don't get tired and I run faster than ever.

it works well for hockey to? when i googled it i only got results describing fat loss and ****...

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
Learn to racewalk, the Olympic sport. It will improve your first step, endurance and coordination like nothing else.

How is this possible??? 5kms in 18:57!

1. Ivan Trotsky - Belarus - 5kms in 18:57 - 6th in 2003 WC in Paris

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
Thanks for all the advice!

Someone once told me to forget about jogging. He may be right... This link helps us on how to improve our speed.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek29.htm

Endurance activities such as jogging or long swimming will slow you down on your sprints. These long endurance activities recruit more slow twitch fibers which are good for long distance and cardio, but is not what we want as sprinters.

UNQUOTE

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I already put that post in above.

Increasing foot speed and burst speed is in gaining explosiveness through plyometrics and agility drills such as box and ladder drills as well as balance and proprioceptive training. There is a link to a large amount of video resources in my post above. I do agree that long distance jogging and running are not the way to go. Too much pounding on body in hte running BUT swimming is an outstanding alternate. The key with all things is finding the balance. Swimming 100 laps might be a once or twice a week activity and alternating days can be sprint drills.

The needs of a hockey player or goalie must train all three of the energy systems and their sub systems. No one activity can do that. There must be balance between the aerobic, lactic anaerobic and alactic anaerobic systems.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
I already put that post in above.

Sorry, Mike. :innocent:

The other day I was one on one in the offense zone. I slowed down and lifted my stick for a slap shot. What followed was a disaster... I collapsed to the ground. The shot hit the net, not the goalie's net, but the net above the glass! I conclude that I have a balance problem which will not be solved by running faster. I do need plyometrics. :biglaugh:

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
that or you caught a spot where some slob stood sweating a puddle onto the floor...been there done that one. Went down hard! lol bad enough the other team was laughing so was my own team.

Hockeylover

Oct 5, 2005
that or you caught a spot where some slob stood sweating a puddle onto the floor...been there done that one. Went down hard! lol bad enough the other team was laughing so was my own team.

Sometimes you need to have a good sense of humour. We don't find it funny when it happens to us, but it's hiralious when it happens to someone else! :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad