Including all generations, who's bigger in Canada, Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky?

alrusso

Mar 26, 2007
From age eight to eighty and beyond, who's name is bigger in Canada? Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky? Not who was better, but more well known or bigger-just in Canada. I saw a Hockey News Poll several years ago asking writers and historians who was better, and Bobby Orr was a very close second to Gretzky. That surprised me since at the time Gretzky was still playing and Bobby Orr's last full season was 1975. I think it was 1996 or 1997 whent he poll was done.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Gretzky definitely. Most people who are alive were able to see Gretzky play or hear about him, but that's only the case for people around 40+ in the case of Orr. Many of those people may have heard of Orr or know who he is, but I don't think he has the same notoriety that Gretzky does.

J0e Th0rnton*

Not to mention Gretzky played for a Canadian team.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Some names are just synonymous with the sport, and Gretzky is the first that springs to mind with hockey.

If you were to take a random sampling of people of all ages in Canada, I'm sure everybody, or very nearly everybody, would know who Wayne Gretzky was. The same isn't the case for Orr. Actually, I'd argue that certainly Mario Lemieux and possibly even Sidney Crosby would be more recognizable names.

In the U.S. it would be the same type of thing with Babe Ruth. Everyone would know of the Babe, but not everyone would know of Honus Wagner or Ty Cobb, even though it could be argued that they were greater ball players.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Some names are just synonymous with the sport, and Gretzky is the first that springs to mind with hockey.

If you were to take a random sampling of people of all ages in Canada, I'm sure everybody, or very nearly everybody, would know who Wayne Gretzky was. The same isn't the case for Orr. Actually, I'd argue that certainly Mario Lemieux and possibly even Sidney Crosby would be more recognizable names.

In the U.S. it would be the same type of thing with Babe Ruth. Everyone would know of the Babe, but not everyone would know of Honus Wagner or Ty Cobb, even though it could be argued that they were greater ball players.

My mum has a rule when playing trivial persuit when she has to answer a sports question. If it'ws hockey, answer Gretzky, if it's baseball, answer Ruth and if it's basketball answer Jordan.

alrusso

Mar 26, 2007
Today's generation

Thanks for the post and I would agree with the modern generation as far as Orr goes. However, I have a hard time believing if you included all generations that Bobby Orr wouldn't come in a close second. There is a lot of video of Orr and people in their early 40's remember him being the best player in the NHL for many years and maybe of all time.

alrusso

Mar 26, 2007
My mum has a rule when playing trivial persuit when she has to answer a sports question. If it'ws hockey, answer Gretzky, if it's baseball, answer Ruth and if it's basketball answer Jordan.

Modern media has changed so much. Gretzky was the greatest scorer of all time but as far as all around greatness, Orr was more skilled. IMO- Since he came from Canada, I would like to believe he is still very well known and thought of as possibly the best of all time when the question is asked.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Modern media has changed so much. Gretzky was the greatest scorer of all time but as far as all around greatness, Orr was more skilled. IMO- Since he came from Canada, I would like to believe he is still very well known and thought of as possibly the best of all time when the question is asked.

Modern mass media has played a huge part. Remember, you asked who is more known, not who's better. The older generation knows Orr, but they of course also know Gretzky, so the younger generation that might not know Bobby makes the difference. I would be absolutely stunned if there was anyone out there who knew who Bobby Orr was, but not Wayne Gretzky.

alrusso

Mar 26, 2007
Stunned

Modern mass media has played a huge part. Remember, you asked who is more known, not who's better. The older generation knows Orr, but they of course also know Gretzky, so the younger generation that might not know Bobby makes the difference. I would be absolutely stunned if there was anyone out there who knew who Bobby Orr was, but not Wayne Gretzky.

Maybe you said it wrong, but you would be "stunned if there was anyone out there who knew who Bobby Orr was" Even if your talking about the modern generation in Canada that would surprise me. I thought hockey in Canada was everything. People in the USA know of Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, etc. I thought hockey had the same historic value in Canada as Baseball and Football in the USA does. If Canada does value hockey in this way, Bobby Orr should be known by most people in Canada-even the modern generation. If he isn't, then hockey is not as popular in Canada as I thought it was.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Maybe you said it wrong, but you would be "stunned if there was anyone out there who knew who Bobby Orr was" Even if your talking about the modern generation in Canada that would surprise me. I thought hockey in Canada was everything. People in the USA know of Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, etc. I thought hockey had the same historic value in Canada as Baseball and Football in the USA does. If Canada does value hockey in this way, Bobby Orr should be known by most people in Canada-even the modern generation. If he isn't, then hockey is not as popular in Canada as I thought it was.

No, he was saying that he would be surprised if someone knew the name of Bobby Orr, and had never heard of Wayne Gretzky.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
I would suggest Gretzky because of his involvement in all the Team Canadas plus his Olympic involvement. If Orr had of been able to play in the 1972 Series I think things may have been different.

However if the question were, who would you draft 1st over-all if they were in the same draft? Without any hestitation, Bobby Orr !!!

alrusso

Mar 26, 2007
If the question was who would you draft?

I would suggest Gretzky because of his involvement in all the Team Canadas plus his Olympic involvement. If Orr had of been able to play in the 1972 Series I think things may have been different.

However if the question were, who would you draft 1st over-all if they were in the same draft? Without any hestitation, Bobby Orr !!!

Knowing what we know now, I wonder who would go first overall. Orr was and is the best overall skilled player of all time. I would take Orr first, but I'm sure there would be a good argument for Gretzky, Mario, and a number of others. It would be a great draft!

Northern Dancer

Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Knowing what we know now, I wonder who would go first overall. Orr was and is the best overall skilled player of all time. I would take Orr first, but I'm sure there would be a good argument for Gretzky, Mario, and a number of others. It would be a great draft!

Here was a question put to me once. You have to make your answer based soley on their junior careers and forget anything they accomplished in the NHL.

What order would the following players be drafted assuming they were all eligible the same year. (you have to base yor anwer on Junior careers alone).

Bobby Orr
Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
Eric Lindros

My answer was and still is:

# 1 Bobby Orr
# 2 Eric Lindros
# 3 Mario Lemieux
# 4 Wayne Gretzky

ps. since you started the thread I do not feel this is a hi-jacking situation but rather a slight side-bar ;)

alrusso

Mar 26, 2007
Here was a question put to me once. You have to make your answer based soley on their junior careers and forget anything they accomplished in the NHL.

What order would the following players be drafted assuming they were all eligible the same year. (you have to base yor anwer on Junior careers alone).

Bobby Orr
Wayne Gretzky
Mario Lemieux
Eric Lindros

My answer was and still is:

# 1 Bobby Orr
# 2 Eric Lindros
# 3 Mario Lemieux
# 4 Wayne Gretzky

ps. since you started the thread I do not feel this is a hi-jacking situation but rather a slight side-bar ;)

I would still take Orr also, but do you know what is interesting? Lindros, IMO from what I saw of him, is the only one on the mentioned list that didn't make everyone around him better in the NHL. Even when he wasn't injured. Am I wrong?

Last edited:

Northern Dancer

Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
I would still take Orr also, but do you know what is interesting? Lindros, IMO from what I saw of him, is the only one on the mentioned list that didn't make everyone around him better in the NHL. Even when he wasn't injured. Am I wrong?

Lindros was unbelievably good his first few years in the NHL. In fact in the 1991 Canada Cup he was the best player on the team despite having NEVER played a game in the NHL. It is tragic the way his career ended.

alrusso

Mar 26, 2007
Lindros was unbelievably good his first few years in the NHL. In fact in the 1991 Canada Cup he was the best player on the team despite having NEVER played a game in the NHL. It is tragic the way his career ended.

It is tragic. If I remember correctly, he took some PR hits along the way also. Some stuff about his father or family getting involved in his career. I hate to see anyone's career altered because of injury though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad