Prospect Info: In the System Part VII (Preds Prospect/Minor League Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Don't know where they're getting the Admirals defense was inexperienced. Yes Allard and Lyytinen were rookies but they were the only ones and Lyytinen barely played over half of the games. Granberg, Murphy, Oligny, Carrier and Dougherty were all in at least their second years. Murphy was in his 3rd year, Oligny in his 4th and Granberg in his 5th with 45 games of NHL experience on top of that. When Murphy was traded he was replaced by John Ramage who spent 4 years at a defense factory in college and was in his 5th year in the AHL. This was not an inexperienced group for the most part, it just wasn't a good group.

Ramage and Granberg are slow so you can cycle on them. Dougherty isn't particularly fast or able to see the play so it's more likely he's going to keep it along the boards than find the breakout pass. Allard and Carrier are more offensively gifted but currently not the strongest defenders. Oligny isn't offensively inclined at all either. Murphy was our best defensemen in terms of being able to play defense and being able to get the puck out of the zone and generate offense and we traded him for a 27 year old Granberg clone.

The pieces did not fit at all. Ever wonder why we kept getting outshot like 35-15 in regulation and Lindback would bail them out and get it to OT? The forwards were a problem in that they couldn't consistently sustain pressure but a lot of it was the defense just couldn't get it out of the zone. Too slow to retrieve it and when they did, not gifted enough passers to cleanly get it out of the zone.

Reactions: cjerina

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Which players do we think Milwaukee will bring back over the off-season?

UFAs: Mark McNeill, Harry Zolniercyzk, Matt O'Connor, Brandon Bollig, Petter Granberg, Cody Bass, Trevor Smith, John Ramage, Anders Lindback

On the main boards I said that only Zolniercyzk and Lindback really seem worthwhile to re-sign, and I don't know if Zolniercyzk will want to. But looking at their numbers, McNeill and Smith have also done well. On the other hand, O'Connor has played poorly in the ECHL, Bollig and Bass are grinders, and Ramage and Granberg seem pretty limited.

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
Which players do we think Milwaukee will bring back over the off-season?

UFAs: Mark McNeill, Harry Zolniercyzk, Matt O'Connor, Brandon Bollig, Petter Granberg, Cody Bass, Trevor Smith, John Ramage, Anders Lindback

On the main boards I said that only Zolniercyzk and Lindback really seem worthwhile to re-sign, and I don't know if Zolniercyzk will want to. But looking at their numbers, McNeill and Smith have also done well. On the other hand, O'Connor has played poorly in the ECHL, Bollig and Bass are grinders, and Ramage and Granberg seem pretty limited.

No way that Granberg returns, he was on a 1-way deal this year and I don't see him taking a 2-way contract next year to make a tenth of the $.

Bass is perpetually hurt, personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bollig's acquisition a trial run to see if we'll keep him next year. I'm on-board with that.

Nashville has 5 goalies under contract for next year without Lindback, I can't see him returning. I think they give the keys to Groesnick and let him sink/swim. He's looked great in the games I've seen (or as well as Lindback).

O'Connor is gone, doubt he'll see another NHL contract.

I can personally do without McNeill, Z, Smith or Ramage. I think its more likely we see Zengerle get an NHL contract with the Preds before Z, Smith or McNeill returning.

Reactions: GoldOnGold

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
Victor Ejdsell scored the game-winner for Rockford in their 3OT game against the Wolves. Netted a goal in the second and hit a post in the 1st OT as well.

That being said, I still think the Preds are better off long-term with Hartman, but would have been nice to see "a" forward prospect with the Ads next season.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Alright guys friendly leaf fan here wondering what the price of Dante Fabbro is. I assume you guys value him very highly but know you have Subban and Ellis on the right side and am assuming you are in all in to win now mode. What would it take, the leafs need to add depth on the right side of their blueline and Fabbro is one of the best up and coming RHDs.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What we would want for Fabbro is more than what he's worth and what you would want to give up is less than we would take.
Yeah, after trading Girard (which fast forward a few months isn't looking as good as it did) I think the Preds need to hold on to Fabbro. He's still a few years off leaving the minors/bottom pair at least, so I don't see any rush. Ellis and Josi will have their contracts come up before Fabbro is ready to play a top-4 role, and who knows how things are going to work out.

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
Being reported that Yakov Trenin will head to the KHL next season... disappointing as he seemed to show potential before getting hurt, then was snake-bit on the second half of the year. I find it interesting that he leaves after only 1 season despite playing in juniors in Canada beforehand, unlike another second-round Russian in Kamenev.

Also makes me wonder if he's planning to leave, whether this is a sign that Evason is returning next season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Our prospects have vanished quickly. Trenin, Kamenev, Aberg, Girard, Edjsell, all gone.
And the draft pick matrix is a bit thin this year too... they will have to be careful about that in the next couple years. It looks like things are set up for a sustained run... but you can never be sure. And as long as a team is in contention the deadline temptations will be there. But so much the better if they can figure out a way to get the prospect pipeline flowing again...

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Our 2013 5th round pick Saku Maenalanen is supposedly coming to the NHL next season. However, we no longer hold his rights so he is an UFA and he can sign with any team that offers him a contract.

He was 17+29=46 during the 59 game regular season and 5+5 during the playoffs in 18 games where he won his 3rd Liiga championship with Kärpät. Currently he's playing for Team Finland in the World Championships.

@JustaFinnishGuy with you being a Kärpät fan, do you think he has any NHL potential at all?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Our 2013 5th round pick Saku Maenalanen is supposedly coming to the NHL next season. However, we no longer hold his rights so he is an UFA and he can sign with any team that offers him a contract.

He was 17+29=46 during the 59 game regular season and 5+5 during the playoffs in 18 games where he won his 3rd Liiga championship with Kärpät. Currently he's playing for Team Finland in the World Championships.

@JustaFinnishGuy with you being a Kärpät fan, do you think he has any NHL potential at all?

I'm no @JustaFinnishGuy but in my opinion, no, he doesn't have NHL potential that especially we wouldn't have already. He has big frame which he should use more and he'd need to get faster. KHL material, imo.

Reactions: King Weber

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Our prospects have vanished quickly. Trenin, Kamenev, Aberg, Girard, Edjsell, all gone.

Trenin is the Russian Antirocket. He is slow and only plays physically after he gets hit by somebody. For his size, he isn't always strong on the puck.

Kam had some fire! You don't often see that in a Russian player. I miss him and wish him well in Denver.

Aberg is Aberg. He has upside with that shot but "gets knocked down and he gets up again"! You can't keep him down!

Girard is still a prospect. He would never play above the third pair for the Preds in the near future.

I have not seen Edjsell, but the Rockford IceHogs eliminated the higher seeded Chicago Wolves with him playing.

The Preds could sign Jimmy Oligny. Over the last few seasons, he has been their best Dman. Note that he is never #1, but a steady #2 every year. He isn't afraid to drop the gloves and is a big hitter. Allard will be NHL ready in a year or two. He was a quick learner once he got to play in Milwaukee. Grandberg was the Roundtable Dman of the Year. That is 3 defensemen in the pipeline if Granberg stays and 4 with Carrier.

Anthony Richard was the Forward of the Year via the Admirals Roundtable. Harry Z scored 20 goals.

Last edited:

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
if Granberg stays and 4 with Carrier.

I believe it's allayed been confirmed that he signed back in Sweden for next season. After making 1-way money and not getting a sniff in NSH this year, there was no way he was coming back, sadly.

Agreed that I hope Jimmy comes back, but half-expect someone else to give him his first NHL contact.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Hey guys, just wondering what you can tell me about Carrier.. is he expected to crack lineup anytime soon? I see he got a couple games last year with nice AHL numbers.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Trenin is the Russian Antirocket. He is slow and only plays physically after he gets hit by somebody. For his size, he isn't always strong on the puck.

Kam had some fire! You don't often see that in a Russian player. I miss him and wish him well in Denver.

Aberg is Aberg. He has upside with that shot but "gets knocked down and he gets up again"! You can't keep him down!

Girard is still a prospect. He would never play above the third pair for the Preds in the near future.

I have not seen Edjsell, but the Rockford IceHogs eliminated the higher seeded Chicago Wolves with him playing.

The Preds could sign Jimmy Oligny. Over the last few seasons, he has been their best Dman. Note that he is never #1, but a steady #2 every year. He isn't afraid to drop the gloves and is a big hitter. Allard will be NHL ready in a year or two. He was a quick learner once he got to play in Milwaukee. Grandberg was the Roundtable Dman of the Year. That is 3 defensemen in the pipeline if Granberg stays and 4 with Carrier.

Anthony Richard was the Forward of the Year via the Admirals Roundtable. Harry Z scored 20 goals.

Yeah but you always feel better with some prospects who are developing and can step in if needed. Right now the team seems to have a full roster, but someone could decline and having a ready prospect would be great.

Seems like the Ads have been hurt by the talent exodus as well, although I don't know enough to really say that definitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad