GDT: "In The Running" • FLAT CAP FRENZY • Oct.9.2020 • 10 AM • SN / TSN

Which of these free agents do you want the Oilers to sign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
With Toronto and St.Louis out of the picture, any chance we could make a run at AP?

I'm sure we could do a of things to make room:

1. Trade Larsson
2. Trade Russell
3. Trade Neal
4. Put Klefbom on LTIR.

I'd throw 7 years at 9M at him and figure out the rest later.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Ah let Vancouver go Barrie picking. We've all determined he's out of our price range for what we have in cap space

Honestly he doesn't move the needle for me. He should have knocked it out of the park in Toronto and didn't, was a defensive liability there and in Colorado and is soft as baby shit. For the $5.5M he is going to want with term, no thanks.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
With Toronto and St.Louis out of the picture, any chance we could make a run at AP?

1. Trade Larsson
2. Trade Russell
3. Trade Neal
4. Put Klefbom on LTIR.

Nope.

Rumour has it he's going to Vegas.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I foresee a situation where Vatanen and Larsson both get hurt long-term and our D goes to shambles, however...

...Vatanen may be a big help for Puljujarvi.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

1. Trade Larsson
2. Trade Russell
3. Trade Neal
4. Put Klefbom on LTIR.

Nobody is taking Larsson or Neal in the covid cap world. Russell is a giant maybe but his NTC stands in the way. You put Klef on LTIR you handcuff yourself and you can run into roster problems. Besides, no way in hell Petro is coming to Edmonton. Haven't you learned anything over 15 years of failed free agency? Top tier FA avoid Edmonton like the plague like it or not. We only get over the hill scraps, reclamation projects and Tier 3 players in FA.

But we got what we wanted, a hard cap. Now Free Agents choose the nicest city with the biggest payday. Sometimes you better not get what you wish for and Edmonton wanted a hard cap. Now, we are crying the blues players dont want to come to this frozen hell.

Reactions: foshizzle and TB12

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

1. Trade Larsson
2. Trade Russell
3. Trade Neal
4. Put Klefbom on LTIR.

I'd be trying to figure out how I can package Neal, Russell and Larsson to Ottawa in one swoop. Hell throw in Kassian, they can take them all!

Still would have Pietrangelo, Bear, Bouchard right side.

Still would have Nurse, Jones, maybe grab a cheap LHD vet.

Still would have Yamamoto, Chiasson, Jesse RW side.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I foresee a situation where Vatanen and Larsson both get hurt long-term and our D goes to shambles, however...

...Vatanen may be a big help for Puljujarvi.

Why do we need to bring in a babysitter for PJ? His head is either screwed on right or its not.

Willis

Aug 2, 2005
MAF is running out of options and is stuck in a shitty situation with Vegas. I think he would come here. He would have waived for Calgary a few years ago when the Pens were trying to dump him.
Its why I see him coming here. We need a goalie and there's not much options for places that Vegas can send out to. Only way it works is for them to retain and take a forward back. Fills a roster spot for them and clears up some cash while we get goalie who can split games with Kostco. Plus we need to expose a goalie for the expansion draft and either of them fit the bill. None will be taken as they both have a year left after this one though.

Reactions: Del Preston

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Nobody is taking Larsson or Neal in the covid cap world. Russell is a giant maybe but his NTC stands in the way. You put Klef on LTIR you handcuff yourself and you can run into roster problems. Besides, no way in hell Petry is coming to Edmonton. Haven't you learned anything over 15 years of failed free agency? Top tier FA avoid Edmonton like the plague like it or not. We only get over the hill scraps, reclamation projects and Tier 3 players in FA.

But we got what we wanted, a hard cap. Now Free Agents choose the nicest city with the biggest payday. Sometimes you better not get what you wish for and Edmonton wanted a hard cap. Now, we are crying the blues players dont want to come to this frozen hell.

The bolded has never changed

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Why do we need to bring in a babysitter for PJ? His head is either screwed on right or its not.

It's not a babysitter, it's a Finnish guy that he can just be able to trade stories with in the room. It's a bonus, not the main reason you bring someone like Vatanen in.

Reactions: space321

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The bolded has never changed

True but if there was no hard cap we could compete with any team money wise for players. Now that there is a hard cap, players look at the city a lot closer.
Edmotnon has a bad rap and listening to Del Zotto talk today it sounds like Edmonton got more of a black eye from the bubble than not.

It's not a babysitter, it's a Finnish guy that he can just be able to trade stories with in the room. It's a bonus, not the main reason you bring someone like Vatanen in.

That is what a babysitter does. Tell the baby stories. Sorry but he is a pro or he is not a pro. Expecting someone who happens to be from Finland to coddle PJ is ridiculous beyond belief IMO.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Its why I see him coming here. We need a goalie and there's not much options for places that Vegas can send out to. Only way it works is for them to retain and take a forward back. Fills a roster spot for them and clears up some cash while we get goalie who can split games with Kostco. Plus we need to expose a goalie for the expansion draft and either of them fit the bill. None will be taken as they both have a year left after this one though.

How about MAF to Detroit with their 1st rounder?

MAF waives his NTC so that Detroit can retain. Then they flip him to Edmonton at 50%.

Can you do that? Or is that cap circumvention?

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
True but if there was no hard cap we could compete with any team money wise for players. Now that there is a hard cap, players look at the city a lot closer.
Edmotnon has a bad rap and listening to Del Zotto talk today it sounds like Edmonton got more of a black eye from the bubble than not.

That is what a babysitter does. Tell the baby stories. Sorry but he is a pro or he is not a pro. Expecting someone who happens to be from Finland to coddle PJ is ridiculous beyond belief IMO.

Well Boo mother f***ing hood hoooo

Just what exactly were the players expecting?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
How about MAF to Detroit with their 1st rounder?

MAF waives his NTC so that Detroit can retain. Then they flip him to Edmonton at 50%.

Can you do that? Or is that cap circumvention?

You can do that. Problem is Fleury has us on his no go list, like all free agents of any repute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad