In the meantime, Play for Charity

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Why not return and play the games for charity until an agreement is reached?

Think of the PR. Both owners and players return to play under the old agreement, except that all monies other than bankruptcy trustee determined operational neccessities is gathered and donated to charity. $100mil of the player salaries is returned to the owners so that they arent better off not playing.

Now both sides can decide how long they are willing to go along donating this money to charity, rather than reaping it themselves. Think of how much money the NHL can donate to charity. The owners have enough to hold out for years. The players help their image. Win-Win-Win.

Why isnt this a better answer?

Think of the good we could do for our olympic athletes

If only they could use their negotiating skills for goodness, instead of evil.

YellHockey*

That's the best idea I've heard yet. By far.

Its the first one that leaves the fans out of the dispute.

The only problem I have is with the owners getting $100M above and beyond the operational costs. If the operational necessities are taken care of, that means the owners are turning a profit of $3.33M each year. Why would they negotiate if they're guaranteed a profit?

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
That would be one of the best PR moves in sports, have the trustees define OE, let the owners keep that much, and enough to pay players, donate the rest to charity.

The only problem is that the fools would never agree on what 'the rest' should be defined as. :shakehead:

BCCHL inactive

There are a bunch of NHL players playing charity games in Vancouver, Kamloops and Prince George in 10-14 days.

Some decent names are taking part (such as Smyth, Modano, Cloutier, Brewer and others)....one thing that I did hear, is that the Prince George Cougars had to foot the bill for most, if not all of the players' flights. Are these players not rich enough to pay for their own bloody flights to British Columbia? Word through the grapevine is that Modano would refuse to participate if his flight wasn't covered. Hell, there was an article in the Prince George Citizen last month, saying that if there was extra roster spots, that some lucky fan might be able to pay his way onto a team for the game. What a f'ing joke.

Some players seem to forget what they're playing for....CHARITY!

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Van said:
There are a bunch of NHL players playing charity games in Vancouver, Kamloops and Prince George in 10-14 days.

Some decent names are taking part (such as Smyth, Modano, Cloutier, Brewer and others)....one thing that I did hear, is that the Prince George Cougars had to foot the bill for most, if not all of the players' flights. Are these players not rich enough to pay for their own bloody flights to British Columbia? Word through the grapevine is that Modano would refuse to participate if his flight wasn't covered. Hell, there was an article in the Prince George Citizen last month, saying that if there was extra roster spots, that some lucky fan might be able to pay his way onto a team for the game. What a f'ing joke.

I agree. Charitable contributions have long been a foreign concept for professional hockey players. What they foolishly forget is that Prince George and their local causes are by far the most worthy of all charities.

Shame on them.

Sixty Six

Feb 28, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
I agree. Charitable contributions have long been a foreign concept for professional hockey players. What they foolishly forget is that Prince George and their local causes are by far the most worthy of all charities.

Shame on them.

I'm assuming if he is paying to play on this team, his money would too be donated to charity, but i could be wrong (i normally am :lol )

BCCHL inactive

Herb_Brooks said:
I'm assuming if he is paying to play on this team, his money would too be donated to charity, but i could be wrong (i normally am :lol )

The money probably would. However, that doesn't make it right that a local fan, who likely doesn't make more than $40-50k a year at his day job, has to pay his way into a game like this when the NHL players participating hold the Cougars hostage for a free flight to Prince George.

Sixty Six

Feb 28, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Van said:
The money probably would. However, that doesn't make it right that a local fan, who likely doesn't make more than $40-50k a year at his day job, has to pay his way into a game like this when the NHL players participating hold the Cougars hostage for a free flight to Prince George.

i don't think what the players are doing is right with the whole flight thing, but i just don't have a problem with the fan being charged to play, as long as his money is going to charity.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Hold the Cougars hostage for a flight? You want to bring in these players, to play a game that people will pay big money to see, in order to raise money for charity, but dont want to pay expenses? When U2 does a charity concert, they get their expenses paid. This is just the way of the world. What a ridiculous complaint

BCCHL inactive

thinkwild said:
Hold the Cougars hostage for a flight? You want to bring in these players, to play a game that people will pay big money to see, in order to raise money for charity, but dont want to pay expenses? When U2 does a charity concert, they get their expenses paid. This is just the way of the world. What a ridiculous complaint

Do you have any idea how much money CHL teams have? Especially now that they get nothing from the NHL with no CBA in place, they aren't exactly loaded.

Mike Modano is rich enough to pay for his own flight to Prince George.

Slow Talking Walter

Aug 21, 2003
in the weeds
Visit site
Van said:

Charity Schmerity. I would only go if the money was given to those people who have directly lost needed income becuase of the dispute. Players willing to play for charity while Joe hot dog seller cant pay his bills. Boo. Stay home players and feel SHAME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->