In the interest of stirring the pot, why some may prefer Malkin to AO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
flyercide said:
WIP a radio sports talk show here in Philly was having a discussion the other day about the Eagles worst drafts. apparently the Eagles passed on Marino & Rice in the same Draft! Could you imagine if they drafted them both.

There were rumors that Marino had a drug problem, which is why he slipped.

Steelers (my fav. team) should of drafted him. He played right in their backyard.

Instead they took Gabe Riveria. Who got drunk, stepped into his car, and put himself in a wheelchair before ever playing a down.

Lord

BTW Ovechkin and Malkin comparision reminds me a lot discussion about Kovalchuk vs Spezza three years ago. Didn't see Spezza in juniors, though.
But here, in Russia, i 've watched both Malkin and Ovechkin several times. Ovechkin is complete player, who seems to be ready to play in the NHL at the moment, and Malkin is still player in making, who needs some time to develope. And every comparision should be based on how Malkin could progress further, IMO.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Lord said:
BTW Ovechkin and Malkin comparision reminds me a lot discussion about Kovalchuk vs Spezza three years ago. Didn't see Spezza in juniors, though.
But here, in Russia, i 've watched both Malkin and Ovechkin several times. Ovechkin is complete player, who seems to be ready to play in the NHL at the moment, and Malkin is still player in making, who needs some time to develope. And every comparision should be based on how Malkin could progress further, IMO.

Very good to hear from someone who has seen both first hand, to be honest your thoughts on both, 'Ovechkin is complete player, who seems to be ready to play in the NHL at the moment, and Malkin is still player in making, who needs some time to develope,' is pretty much what I took from what the scouts have said, and I think is how most fans, even we rose colored glasses wearing Pens fans, have seen Malkin. Which is why if given the opportunity the Pens (and everyone else I think) would take AO over Malkin, take the sure thing rather than the promise of something. That said, I still do not see how everytime someone says something good about Malkin AO people seem to have to feel the need to tear Malkin down and disregard that potential people in the know seem to see. It will not make AO a better player to do so, nor is it being rose colored glasses wearing to comment that Malkin seems to have AO type potential in most scouts eyes.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
Watch more than just clips.

This is actually a very good point you make.....

Let me say first....that all I have seen are a few clips.....and I dont pretend to know what others have seen....dont really care.....until AO (or anyone) is in the NHL...and given time....we dont know what they will end up being

but clips can be mis-leading. I like watching them becasue it gives you an idea of the skill.....and just fun to watch.....an analogy (prolly a poor one) is how I feel about Bobby Orr.....IMO he is the greatest hockey player I have ever seen.....I love watching his clips....but seeing him live (or even tapes of entire games) gives you the appreciation of what he brought...and how dominant he was. I want to see AO in a real game(s)...I love what I have seen...and read.....but when I see it, maybe I will buy into the hype

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
Very good to hear from someone who has seen both first hand, to be honest your thoughts on both, 'Ovechkin is complete player, who seems to be ready to play in the NHL at the moment, and Malkin is still player in making, who needs some time to develope,' is pretty much what I took from what the scouts have said, and I think is how most fans, even we rose colored glasses wearing Pens fans, have seen Malkin. Which is why if given the opportunity the Pens (and everyone else I think) would take AO over Malkin, take the sure thing rather than the promise of something. That said, I still do not see how everytime someone says something good about Malkin AO people seem to have to feel the need to tear Malkin down and disregard that potential people in the know seem to see. It will not make AO a better player to do so, nor is it being rose colored glasses wearing to comment that Malkin seems to have AO type potential in most scouts eyes.

Who cares what Caps fan and Ovechkins PR man, Foppa Rules, say.

No one knows how they will turn out in the NHL, so why bother arguing with the know it alls and wanna be experts.

It will come down to desire, dedication, and the teammates around both players that will ultimately decide who is the better player.

How many experts said Datsyuk would be the best player from his draft year?

None. That is why he lasted until the 6th round.

When Foppa or any other Caps fan (some are cool) post negative things about Malkin, I just roll my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->