In Memoriam Former pro hockey player/management deaths (Dave Forbes)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
:( Oh Boy. Pierre Pilote. One of my favorites as a kid. What a terrific player he was. 85. Thats pretty good innings. Long life. RIP

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Pierre Pilote

Prime example used by youth hockey coaches to encourage smallish players, "Not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog."

Many memories of him playing head - to - head with the Howes, Beliveaus, Frank Mahovlich, etc.

RIP.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=30637277&postcount=26

The three-time Norris trophy winner (1963, 1964, 1965) (6-time finalist in all), 5-time 1st-Team all-star (1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967), 3-time 2nd-team all-star (1960, 1961, 1962) NHL playoff-point leader in 1961 when his Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup championship, and Pilote scored or assisted the winning or tying goal in every Blackhawks victory that year:amazed::amazed: so no surprise when he became later that the summer the Chicago captain and remained so for 7 seasons.

cut.jpg

Hockey's Glory Days said:
Pierre Pilote was an aggressive defenseman who could play the body and rush the puck effectively... a skilled playmaker who consistently ranked amongst the top scoring defenseman of his day.

And my reply to a poster on the main NHL board who stated that Duncan Keith was "a close second" in terms of greatest Hawks dmen ever: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=135670207&postcount=4

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
That is an impressive feat. Especially for a defenceman in that era.

But not actually true. Pilote scored 3 goals in 1961, impressive still, but not the requisite 8 that the statement implies. Perhaps VI meant scored or assisted on every GWG?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Jeff Parker died Monday. Blaming his NHL hockey career for his death

Yes, more here on that.... http://www.tsn.ca/brain-of-former-nhl-player-to-be-donated-for-cte-research-family-says-1.855458

In his early 50's. Played about 141 NHL games mostly as a checking fwd. Product of Minnesota & Michigan State.... Quality of life obviously dramatically affected... Died of an infection that affected his heart & lungs so what connection to CTE, post concussion syndrome not sure, though with the brain the bodies supercomputer I guess its possible... regardless its pretty sad..... thats just too soon to be dying.... though from the sounds of it living & life pretty painful, bleak.... RIP...

tmmr

Aug 20, 2017
Duke Harris

Sorry to hear about Duke Harris. A fan favorite for the Chicago Cougars in the 70's. Not because of great skill, but because he was an Everyman who fans could identify with. Duke had his combover and was not a great skater - it seemed like he used his stick to keep himself from falling. But he put in the effort and fans appreciated that. Plus, they could yell "DUUUUUKE!". And he could score goals, actually scored 30 for the Houston Aeros in the WHA's first year.

Interesting side note: I brought my little brother to a Cougars game in the mid-70's, he was 12 or 13 at the time. The venue was the International Amphitheater, an old barn that hosted the infamous 1968 Democratic Convention and had seen better days. There was a definite scarcity of restrooms in the building, and I remember that the main concourse was partially filled with huge piles of wood or other construction materials. Taking a cue from other patrons, we actually ducked behind one of the piles in order to take a leak! I think I can accurately say it's the only time in my life that I've urinated right in a public concourse at a major sporting event.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
...I think I can accurately say it's the only time in my life that I've urinated right in a public concourse at a major sporting event.

... I sure hope so (only time). :laugh: .... reminds me a bit of a line ex-Leaf & briefly Minnesota North Star Jim McKenny who was quite the Party Boy and drinker... how he knew of "every ally & public place in the city of Toronto where he could go & take a leak without being spotted".... went on to a long-time gig as a Sports Reporter with CITY TV post career.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Sad that Pilote had to die with his legacy unfairly tarnished by not being named to the NHL 's top 100 list

I mean players don't care about that stuff while they play, but it's hard not to think about your legacy after retirement. And it must have been really puzzling for Pilote, since a better question than whether he belongs in the top 100, is whether he belongs in the top 50.

tmmr

Aug 20, 2017
I agree, it was a huge oversight for the NHL to omit Pilote from the top 100. They would have done better to just limit the list to retired players only, instead of trying to include relatively young guys who are mid-career (I mean, Jonathan Toews?).

Pilote was a pioneer as an offensive defenseman, a great quarterback on the power play. His partner was Elmer "Moose" Vasko, the biggest player in the league at the time at 6' 3". Moose was a gentle giant who didn't hit much and when he did, it was perfunctory, not trying to kill guys the way defensemen did in later years.

Pilote played with a definite edge, but not nearly as nasty as guys like Chelios and Pronger. One unfortunate technique that I think Pilote pioneered was the "pitchfork" method of putting his stick in front of the offensive player as he was between Pilote and the boards, thus impeding his progress as you wedge him into the boards. The refs let it go because it wasn't clearly hooking, and it became prevalent around the league. Probably would be called hooking today. At least in the regular season.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Obviously not a player, however well known play x play broadcaster Dave Strader has passed away of Cancer at the age of 62. Began his career in the late 70's at the AHL level, going on to call games for the Red Wings mid-80's, the Coyotes from 2007/11 & so on. Recipient of the HHOF Foster Hewitt Award this year.....

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Couple of interesting players, individuals there.... Dunc Fisher carved out quite a career as a high scoring offensive threat in the AHL after some stints with Boston & NY over a few season late 40's early 50's, and in the 2nd OT of the 1950 SC Finals vs Detroit while with the Rangers rang one off the post, followed shortly thereafter by a Detroit Cup winner. Came "this" close. Late in his career, the Red Wings acquired his rights however low output & he wasnt around for long..... Tom Miller was a sensational Midget & Jr.B player in his hometown of Kitchener however he took a route far less traveled & followed up his Junior career in the NCAA with the Denver Pioneers, winning a couple of Championships. Like Dunc above, played in the minors though he did see service in the NHL with Detroit & the Isles, retiring at 28.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Duke Harris

Sorry to hear about Duke Harris. A fan favorite for the Chicago Cougars in the 70's. Not because of great skill, but because he was an Everyman who fans could identify with. Duke had his combover and was not a great skater - it seemed like he used his stick to keep himself from falling. But he put in the effort and fans appreciated that. Plus, they could yell "DUUUUUKE!". And he could score goals, actually scored 30 for the Houston Aeros in the WHA's first year.
latest

Reactions: iamjs and Killion

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Mike Boland, 23 NHL games (1 with Scouts, 22 with Sabres). Also more than 550 AHL/IHL games.

Mentioned here: https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/sharpen-up-october-10-2017/c-291776778
Great hair and great mustache. Don Luce's brother in law.

Buffalo ran into injuries in the season he played. Mike, Ken Breitenbach, Richie Dunn, and Bill Stewart were fill ins, and did an admirable job. Only Dunn (just under 500) and Stewart (maybe around 250) played more than a handful of NHL games games after that season.

Ironically Richie Dunn passed away last year in Buffalo, at the age of 59..........

RIP Mike and Richie.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Yeah, interesting player, and "Perseverance" his middle name. Drafted way back by the Kansas City Scouts, did see a bit of NHL action in his Rookie Season but for the better part of the 70's & early through mid-80's, Minor Leagues. He'd actually been Released outright by the Fort Wayne Komets of the IHL before being signed by Buffalo & assigned to Hershey.... and yes, had that fun season playing for both Hershey & the Sabers including 3 Playoff Games, even scoring a goal. However, the new regime under Scotty Bowman entered & unfortunately for Mike Boland, he exited, back to the Minors where he played out the rest of his career... and really, thats something to have been quite proud of in & of itself. The AHL & previously IHL, the old Central & Eastern Leagues etc, while not as glamorous, luxurious, money not the greatest, its a lifestyle for the vets like Boland, guys every bit deserving of our respect as any other player in any League be it the NHL or not.

Reactions: Howie Hodge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad