Former pro hockey players/management/others deaths (Wally Harris)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Interesting. Id not heard of Jack Jackson before. Offensive Defenceman who played the bulk
of his career post war for the Kansas City Pla-Mor's of the USHL. 48 games with Chicago in 46/47.

And RIP Bob Fillion. Great photo of him there in that linked article/obit. Smart player, won 2 Cups with the Habs in the 40's, mostly on a line with Kenny Mosdell & Murph Chamberlain. Part of the resurgent Montreal Canadiens in the 40's who's future was solidified with the arrival of Dick Irvin Sr., Maurice
Richard & Frank Selke Sr. Never looked back. Greatest franchise in NHL history.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Bummer. How time flys. Just a great player. Smart. Journeyman sure but a guy who came up through & was inculcated in the whole Blackhawks system, Beehives, TeePee's, whole 9 yards... part of the lore, legend & mystique. Seems like yesterday. RIP Chico. Gone but never forgotten. Legendary player.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Al Arbour has passed at age 82

Yeah, saw that earlier elsewhere. Tremendous Coach, hockeymind. Remember him quite well as a player. Hard not to as he was the only one out there with glasses on. Not spectacular but extremely reliable, steady, intelligent. Dont recall him with Detroit but vivid images of him with Chicago; then of course Toronto & finally St.Louis where he was an integral part of that clubs success in their first few years in the league.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
problem with the "one day in 1959 ' story , Lindsay was a black hawk that year.

Im guessing they just got the year wrong as Burton did play 3 games for Detroit
as a call-up from Edmonton of the WHL in 56/57 (Lindsays last season with Detroit).

... sounds exactly like the kind of Gallows Humor a club might play on a Rookie.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Oh dear. I wonder if this is a CTE related death. 49's awfully young, Todd Ewen an Enforcer who like Probert didnt particularly enjoy fighting. Ewen when asked about it & its role in the game said "take it out". I believe he retired to the St. Louis region & took up Coaching, quite successful at the amateur & High School levels. Pretty sad.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Very fond memories of Todd.
He played for the NW Bruins when I was a young teen.

I was a big kid (tall) who was really skinny, but went through a big growth spurt (finally filled out) late.
I was too physically weak (despite working out regularly from when I was 14). When I finally stopped gaining height, and filled out I had put on 40+ pounds in 2 years and made it through the NW Bruins rookie camp and invited to their main camp.

I wanted to be the team's next Todd Ewen, as I enjoyed that part of the game.
As a real young kid I used to dream about being Guy Lafleur. As a teenager, those dreams had changed to being the next Todd Ewen. I loved how the fans in New West loved him so much.

He was scary tough in the WHL, with just the right amount of 'crazy'. He also became a very good hockey player as an overager.
If I'm not mistaken, he was the team's MVP in his overage season.

The Oilers already had Semenko; as a Nucks fan, I was so relieved when they traded Ewen to the Blues.

A really underrated tough guy. His TKO of a prime Probert is legendary in fight circles. Even in rematches, he could hold his own against him (IMO Probert had to come out of his jersey to beat Ewen in a couple of their fights).

It's tragic that both those guys are now gone.

Many blessings to Todd, and his family.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Sad to see. I've also got him with ten NHL games, although there were plenty of quality goaltenders that couldn't find their way into the six-team NHL. SIHR also had a nice write up on their FB page.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Very fond memories of Todd.
He played for the NW Bruins when I was a young teen.

I was a big kid (tall) who was really skinny, but went through a big growth spurt (finally filled out) late.
I was too physically weak (despite working out regularly from when I was 14). When I finally stopped gaining height, and filled out I had put on 40+ pounds in 2 years and made it through the NW Bruins rookie camp and invited to their main camp.

I wanted to be the team's next Todd Ewen, as I enjoyed that part of the game.
As a real young kid I used to dream about being Guy Lafleur. As a teenager, those dreams had changed to being the next Todd Ewen. I loved how the fans in New West loved him so much.

He was scary tough in the WHL, with just the right amount of 'crazy'. He also became a very good hockey player as an overager.
If I'm not mistaken, he was the team's MVP in his overage season.

The Oilers already had Semenko; as a Nucks fan, I was so relieved when they traded Ewen to the Blues.

A really underrated tough guy. His TKO of a prime Probert is legendary in fight circles. Even in rematches, he could hold his own against him (IMO Probert had to come out of his jersey to beat Ewen in a couple of their fights).

It's tragic that both those guys are now gone.

Many blessings to Todd, and his family.

Great story. So easy to forget where these guys come from sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad