In Memoriam Former pro hockey player/management deaths (Dave Forbes)

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Wow, Connie Dion at age 96! I actually know who that is - wartime goalie with the Redwings, only 2 NHL seasons. I did a boardgame replay of the 1943-44 season, that's how I know the name.
dion.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Ya, theres a name from the past. Connie Dion. Little guy. 5'4" and about 140lbs. Displaced in the Red Wings crease by Harry Lumley. Went on to play for another 8yrs in the minors after 38 games over 2 seasons with Detroit at the end of the War before retiring around 1954. Played Junior for the old Verdun Maple Leafs in Quebec.

Yurog

Jan 10, 2012
Magnitogorsk
Denis Tsygurov...LA, BUF-mid 90s
His father Gennadiy is solid coach which won WJC99. Denis collected money for cancer treatment to father. Gennadiy is still alive, but his son not. Bad story

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Denis Tsygurov...LA, BUF-mid 90s
His father Gennadiy is solid coach which won WJC99. Denis collected money for cancer treatment to father. Gennadiy is still alive, but his son not. Bad story

Added to the OP. Shame, 43 is way too young to go.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Connie Dion

^^^ Ya, theres a name from the past. Connie Dion. Little guy. 5'4" and about 140lbs. Displaced in the Red Wings crease by Harry Lumley. Went on to play for another 8yrs in the minors after 38 games over 2 seasons with Detroit at the end of the War before retiring around 1954. Played Junior for the old Verdun Maple Leafs in Quebec.

From the Asbestos area. Arena is named after him. Did a lot for minor hockey and goaltenters in the area.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
2 more to report sadly:

January 19 - Mark Marquess, 89
February 1 - Jean-Paul Gladu, 93

Both played for the Bruins in the 1940s/1950s.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Claude Ruel

Not an NHL player, but it belongs here.

Claude Ruel, long-time assistant coach (and scout, and developpement coach), and also head coach during two stints for the Montreal Canadiens, just passed away at 76.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Dave Hoyda, 57, Feb 8

Well now, wow... I remember him... played with Linseman & Ververgaert in Philly for a year,
pretty decent 4th line. Hoyda no shrinking violet. Really tough Alberta Boy. What a shame, 57.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Well now, wow... I remember him... played with Linseman & Ververgaert in Philly for a year,
pretty decent 4th line. Hoyda no shrinking violet. Really tough Alberta Boy. What a shame, 57.

Had a hellacious tilt with Clark Gillies at the Coliseum, circa late '70s; Gillies bested him. (Hoyda had taken a run at Mike Bossy moments earlier.)

Took on small Eddie Johnstone of NYR at the Spectrum once, in a typical NYR/Flyers line brawl. Took some flak for that.

Gives one pause when the glory of your youth, even a token fourth line brawler, pass. Seems like that's happening with more frequency as time moves on; irony/humor not intended.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Had a hellacious tilt with Clark Gillies at the Coliseum, circa late '70s; Gillies bested him...

Ya, I remember this guy Trottier... Pretty much typical of the era but not a guy who was completely one-dimensional. There was more of the love of the game to him then just as a Role Player as an Enforcer. During that period when I was coming up, too many players, expected to basically just behave like MeatSticks on Blades. 4th Liners, 5th wheels on defense. Limited ice-time, Dog of War unleashed by lame ass Coaches who didnt have a clue. In almost every case of serious serious pugilists that I ever played with, they had each & of their own a deep and abiding respect for the game, for their teammates & for talent, intellects trapped. Stereotyped, pigeonholed as being one dimensional. Never even given a chance to develop. I cant tell you how many guys I knew like that because there were so many.... But hey, he made it to "the show".

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Pretty tragic. Wonder if concussions played a big part in all of this?
"Suffering from depression"... Somethin not right about this.

More here: http://khl.hr/steve-montador-passes-away/

Unfortunately we really don't know. We assume a hockey player can't possibly be depressed, but they can.

Gordie Howe - who played with Sawchuk forever - said this about him: "For a man who seemingly had everything he was a very unhappy individual."

Why would Terry Sawchuk be depressed? He has it all right? Well, we thought that about Robin Williams too. The truth is, once the curtain is down with these great athletes reality sets in. I really don't know why Montador was depressed either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->