In defense of Brandon Sutter as a 2C

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I welcome the idea of new statistical categories to evaluate hockey, but the old adage, "there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics," still applies.

In this case, it's not exactly a revelation that Malkin and Sutter have been more effective together than apart, but that's because Sutter is the best player who Malkin has played with this year and vice versa. So, once again, the issue here is NOT that Malkin/Sutter are an unheralded duo, but rather that WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TOP SIX PLAYERS. Granted, the article says we should only leave them together until we upgrade the top 6, but I nonetheless hate this "solution" that requires the game's second best center to play out of position so that Brandon Sutter can play in his spot. Ugh.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
Sutter is really changing my opinion of him this year. I was pretty high on him before, but he really has shown a lot this year. The problem is, he doesn't seem to be the kind of player who can drive the play as the top man on the line. He needs a linemate who can distribute, because that is not the focus of his game. When he has one, he really takes his game to another level.

As far as Geno playing out of position, I'm ok with it if he is. Of all our players, he is the most versatile. He can play any forward position, and play it at elite level. I have immense trust in him, and I know that he will be stellar in any position he plays.

This team need top six help, and if Geno is ok with playing wing, then it pretty much fixes our top six. Those two along with Comeau is a solid line. This also allows Sid to take back Kunitz and give him two legit wingers again.

Now, this does not have to be permanent, but its the best we can do while we wait for the right trade to open up. Its still December, and we are still at the top of the standings. We can afford to try this out for a couple weeks. If it doesn't work, we loose nothing. If it does work, our top 6 is fixed.

Hell, even if it doesn't work, it could still benefit us. We would be able to approach Sutter in the summer and use it as a negotiating tool in getting him extended. He wants to be a top six center. If he can't get it done with Malkin on his wing, it hurts his chances of that ever happening, and maybe he will be more receptive to playing 3C on this team. If he does work out with Geno, and MJ wants to make it more permanent, knowing that he can play with Geno would be a big incentive for him to sign an extension.

Ultimately, given our assets, and the lack of available trades, this is the best, and safest, option available right now. There really is no downside to playing them together. And once again, it is still December.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad