Speculation: In 15 days we have to get serious about signing a center (or 2)

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Other then JT for an option I think if for some reason Thornton didn't resign in San Jose I'd give Big Joe a nice 1 year deal. We have the cap space and it buys the leafs another season to figure out the center depth.

Matthews, Kadri, Thornton, Aaltonen

Last edited:
Reactions: sbpointer

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I agree Aaltonen will not be our 3rd line center this year. He will be given every opportunity to be our 4th line center I feel and perhaps move up the following year depending on need and his play. Babcock will not start a rookie like him in a key role.

I also said a long time ago that I can see Bozak back on a two year deal. He is great on the PP and faceoffs and is way better defensively then he is given credit for. He is not a shut down guy but with the right line mates he can win his matchups.

Given a proper role Bozak can be an excellent player. He's just always been slotted above his compete and skill level. If he resigns, he can finally slide into his proper role.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Given a proper role Bozak can be an excellent player. He's just always been slotted above his compete and skill level. If he resigns, he can finally slide into his proper role.

Bozak's skating has regressed quite a bit. If he signs, he's going to get $4M. Bozak at his current age is not worth that money.

Jun 27, 2005
Leafs could insert Marlies top Calder winning line as their 4th line next year ..

Johnsson (Calder MVP) -- Aaltonen -- -Grundstrom

So the Leafs realistically need a 3rd line Centre unless the plan is to relocate Nylander to the middle.

Here is the list of Clader MVP's. I found it interesting.

Jack A. Butterfield Trophy award winners at hockeydb.com

SeasonAward WinnerTeam
1983-84Bud StefanskiMaine Mariners
1984-85Brian SkrudlandSherbrooke Canadiens
1985-86Tim TookeyHershey Bears
1986-87David FenyvesRochester Americans
1987-88Wendell YoungHershey Bears
1988-89Sam St. LaurentAdirondack Red Wings
1989-90Jeff HackettSpringfield Indians
1990-91Kay WhitmoreSpringfield Indians
1991-92Allan BesterAdirondack Red Wings
1992-93Bill McDougallCape Breton Oilers
1993-94Olaf KolzigPortland Pirates
1994-95Corey SchwabAlbany River Rats
1995-96Dixon WardRochester Americans
1996-97Mike McHughHershey Bears
1997-98Mike ManelukPhiladelphia-Worcester
1998-99Peter FerraroProvidence Bruins
1999-00Derek ArmstrongHartford Wolf Pack
2000-01Steve BeginSaint John Flames
2001-02Pasi NurminenChicago Wolves
2002-03Johan HolmqvistHartford-Houston
2003-04Wade FlahertyMilwaukee Admirals
2004-05Antero NiittymakiPhiladelphia Phantoms
2005-06Frederic CassiviHershey Bears
2006-07Carey PriceHamilton Bulldogs
2007-08Jason KrogChicago Wolves
2008-09Michal NeuvirthHershey Bears
2009-10Chris BourqueHershey Bears
2010-11Robin LehnerBinghamton Senators
2011-12Alexandre PicardNorfolk Admirals
2012-13Tomas TatarGrand Rapids Griffins
2013-14Travis MorinTexas Stars
2014-15Jordan WealManchester Monarchs
2015-16Oliver BjorkstrandLake Erie Monsters
2016-17Tyler BertuzziGrand Rapids Griffins
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
We need to move on from Bozak if we want an effective 3rd line that's capable of playing in both ends of the ice. I appreciate what Tyler has done for us but I think it's time to move on and I will be very disappointed if he's brought back.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
Bozak's skating has regressed quite a bit. If he signs, he's going to get $4M. Bozak at his current age is not worth that money.

He's 32. Why does everyone think he's some aged vet at the end of his career. He's likely got 2-3 contracts left.

How can you say he's not worth the money, what term are you talking?

I'd pay him more than $4M if he signs two years, I'd pay him considerably more if he signed one year. Hell, I'd throw him $5.5M+ if he signed a one year contract but no way he signs a one year deal.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
He's 32. Why does everyone think he's some aged vet at the end of his career. He's likely got 2-3 contracts left.

How can you say he's not worth the money, what term are you talking?

I'd pay him more than $4M if he signs two years, I'd pay him considerably more if he signed one year. Hell, I'd throw him $5.5M+ if he signed a one year contract but no way he signs a one year deal.

You overvalue Tyler Bozak, if that's the case.

Bozak is below average defensively and he's slowed down quite a bit. It would be a gross mishandling of money and assets, if Dubas gives Tyler Bozak a contract.

Reactions: Menzinger

Leafsman

May 22, 2008

Bozak is below average defensively and he's slowed down quite a bit. It would be a gross mishandling of money and assets, if Dubas gives Tyler Bozak a contract.

No, I just greatly value going into a season with options. Bozak gives you options. He can always be traded if Aaltonen or someone outplays him. There is also always the threat of injuries. Should a center go down, having Bozak as a backup limits the impact of the injury.

Why limit yourself by letting Bozak walk??? I rather have one too many centers than finding yourself one short.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
No, I just greatly value going into a season with options. Bozak gives you options. He can always be traded if Aaltonen or someone outplays him. There is also always the threat of injuries. Should a center go down, having Bozak as a backup limits the impact of the injury.

Why limit yourself by letting Bozak walk??? I rather have one too many centers than finding yourself one short.

Letting Bozak go doesn't mean Dubas isn't going to add one or two more. I would rather give $6M to Joe Thornton than $4M to Tyler Bozak.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
Letting Bozak go doesn't mean Dubas isn't going to add one or two more. I would rather give $6M to Joe Thornton than $4M to Tyler Bozak.
So would I! I'm not saying Bozak or bust. If there is a better option then go for it. I'm just saying if it comes down to it, I rather go into the season with Bozak as opposed to trying some experimental plan with an unproven center (ie: Aaltonen or some other half-baked idea).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There’s no way Bozak’s agent signs a two year deal, unless there’s absolutely zero interest in free agency - which won’t be the case. We need to stop thinking he’s an option, unless the Leafs up the AAV to make it worthwhile

His name has already been linked to vancouver

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
So would I! I'm not saying Bozak or bust. If there is a better option then go for it. I'm just saying if it comes down to it, I rather go into the season with Bozak as opposed to trying some experimental plan with an unproven center (ie: Aaltonen or some other half-baked idea).

I'm not sure what you're saying.

If it's Bozak at $5M for 3 years versus going into the season with Matthews, Kadri, Nylander, Aaltonen and Lindholm, I would rather pocket the money and risk going into the season without Bozak.

There are so many options at C that Bozak for $4M or $5M is not even an option.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
I'm not sure what you're saying.

If it's Bozak at $5M for 3 years versus going into the season with Matthews, Kadri, Nylander, Aaltonen and Lindholm, I would rather pocket the money and risk going into the season without Bozak.

There are so many options at C that Bozak for $4M or $5M is not even an option.

Sorry, I think my actual strategy was posted over a few different posts and I may have confused the matter.

I rather not take Bozak at 3 years, which is why I would incentivize him into taking a shorter term.

I'd only do $4M if he insisted on 3 years, though I'd front load it to the max and include as much signing bonus as possible. That way he can be dealt in year 3. I'm thinking his services would only be required for likely the next year and a half. If he can be traded at the TD in year 2, even better. Wouldn't care if we even had to retain a bit of salary. We might even be able to walk away with a pick or two with this strategy.

I'd up the contract if he signed a two year, maybe $4.2-$4.5 with the same strategy as above.

I'd only do anything near $5M+ if he signed a one year deal. I don't see him doing that which is why you have to overpay. The Leafs have ample cap space this year and can afford this contract no problem. Work in a signing bonus, so he can be traded at the TD if he is outplayed.

As you pointed out, this is only if there is no better PROVEN option, ie: Joe Thornton, etc.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Maybe just one, as I think Lindholm is slated to be the 4C. The other spot depends on Nylander moving over or Bozak being retained. Guess either scenario happening is possible, but I'm not sure of how likely the possibilities are.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Thanks to Hunter and his love of wingers the Leafs find themselves with a significant hole in the organization in the system.

When previously undrafted Euro UFAs 25 year old, with zero NHL experience Miro Aaltonen and Pär Lindholm are currently #3 and #4C on the depth chart for the Leafs there is valid reason for concern.

Either coverting wingers to centres is the plan or Dubas will need to be proactive in the next month to address a glaring weakness to achieve "strength down the middle" of winning teams.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

could i see some blue-line times, or perhaps redline times, or if you have them lap times from 2011 to now?

i'd be interested to see these and see if "he's slowed down quite a bit." Or is this merely some hyperbole. Some of you folks get all over advanced stats and how they're the one and only true measure, and then unproveables like this come into the mainstream.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ryan O'Reilly one of the top FO men in the NHL and a very versatile player in all situations, with great work ethic making him a prototypical Babcock type player. So he would be a player I'd like the Leafs to consider as he is apparently available from the Sabres.

His $7.5 mil cap hit is steep, but it likely also means his acquisition cost is lower as a result so that means his bang for his trade cost is good.

Matthews, O'Reilly and Kadri would make a solid 1,2, 3 down the middle.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I'm happy we are going to see changes.

I liked Bozak. I have no problem with him, but it's time Dubas puts his stamp on this team.

Should be an interesting offseason.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Ryan O'Reilly one of the top FO men in the NHL and a very versatile player in all situations, with great work ethic making him a prototypical Babcock type player. So he would be a player I'd like the Leafs to consider as he is apparently available from the Sabres.

His $7.5 mil cap hit is steep, but it likely also means his acquisition cost is lower as a result so that means his bang for his trade cost is good.

Matthews, O'Reilly and Kadri would make a solid 1,2, 3 down the middle.

100 % they have to upgrade on what Bozak brought. This just might be the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad