Improving my shot

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I got a new composite stick about 3 weeks ago and as much as i love it, its harder to get off a good shot cause im so used to my wooden stick. Does anyone know how i can improve my shot?

Besides the weight and composition, what's different about the new stick? Different blade curve would make a difference, and so would the length of the shaft.

Blindsided

Jul 2, 2006
at the rink
Besides the weight and composition, what's different about the new stick? Different blade curve would make a difference, and so would the length of the shaft.
Not much is different. The curve is new but its been working out better in making passes and recieving them and the length of the shaft is the same.

Miami Panther

Jun 24, 2006
Miami, FL
it just takes some time to get used to the weight difference and the flex. just shoot around a lot with it and you should be fine.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
what curve did you have on your other stick? And your new one?

It might have something to do with flex rating and lie, both of which will effect your shot more than a change in curve.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
well the nash has a lower lie, although not by much. Check to see where you're getting wear on the bottom of the blade maybe the lie is too low for you so that you'd not getting good contact with the puck. If everything seems ok with that it might be the flex of the stick, my guess would be that if that is the case you got a stiffer stick and you need to get a whippier one.

Actually now that I think of it, you say your passes are better with it. Are you talking about passes along the ice or saucer passes? If you can get a better saucer pass then I don't see why you can't shoot. If it's hard and along the ice you might have an issue with the actual curve of the blade.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
You want a better shot, start shooting a lead puck. Your wrists probably aren't strong enough to use the stick. You only gain benifits if you can bend the stick with your shot.

Blindsided

Jul 2, 2006
at the rink
well the nash has a lower lie, although not by much. Check to see where you're getting wear on the bottom of the blade maybe the lie is too low for you so that you'd not getting good contact with the puck. If everything seems ok with that it might be the flex of the stick, my guess would be that if that is the case you got a stiffer stick and you need to get a whippier one.

Actually now that I think of it, you say your passes are better with it. Are you talking about passes along the ice or saucer passes? If you can get a better saucer pass then I don't see why you can't shoot. If it's hard and along the ice you might have an issue with the actual curve of the blade.

The lie's fine, and my compostie stick has more flex than my wooden stick. Passes along the ice. I cant saucer pass, ive been playing hockey for less than a year.

redlighthockey said:
Or he could shoot off of his opposite leg and get some weight on the stick?
Thats not a bad idea, i might try that. BTW just to let everyone know... im a girl :innocent:

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
The lie's fine, and my compostie stick has more flex than my wooden stick. Passes along the ice. I cant saucer pass, ive been playing hockey for less than a year.

Thats not a bad idea, i might try that. BTW just to let everyone know... im a girl :innocent:

Hmm, if that's the case maybe you're not having a strong follow through. Try strengthening your wrists and work on "closing" the blade. By "closing" I mean turning the blade over to flick the puck off the toe of the blade.

btw it doesn't matter that you're a girl, I've seen some girls that can really shoot.

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
I got a new composite stick about 3 weeks ago and as much as i love it, its harder to get off a good shot cause im so used to my wooden stick. Does anyone know how i can improve my shot?

I've been doing a lot of forearm workouts lately. The one I love best is the weighted roll-up. I'll tie a 5 lb weight with a rope attached to a stick and roll it up and down.

This has helped my stickhandling as well as my power behind my shots and passes.

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
Speed and timing and of course accuracy. The hardest shots come from efficient weight transfer and balance. If you shoot left, your right foot becomes the pivot and fulcrum. Better goalies are not intimidated by hard shots as they are by shooters that throw their reaction time off. Luc Robtaille,Charlie Simmer and Rob Brown were all considered sub par NHL skaters in their day. Guess what? They were big snipers and scored a whack of goals. Their trick was fooling the reaction timing type goalies as to when and where they would release their shots. Mario Lemieux fooled goalies all the time in just the same way. Once the goalie committed Mario knew where to shoot.

Blindsided

Jul 2, 2006
at the rink
My shots have been getting a little better but i think im starting to realize that i get intimidated by goalies. No matter how hard i try i always end up hitting the goalie. If i shoot at the boards and can hit a target point or get close to it. Sometimes when i aim for a spot on an empty net i cant hit it and and forget about it if a goalies in there. Everyone tells me to look at where you want the puck to go and when i do that i still end up firing it right at the goalie. I need help! :cry:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
My shots have been getting a little better but i think im starting to realize that i get intimidated by goalies. No matter how hard i try i always end up hitting the goalie. If i shoot at the boards and can hit a target point or get close to it. Sometimes when i aim for a spot on an empty net i cant hit it and and forget about it if a goalies in there. Everyone tells me to look at where you want the puck to go and when i do that i still end up firing it right at the goalie. I need help! :cry:

Goalies love to intimidate ;) I usually sing a couple of finnish tango songs to get shooters off their game... Do it back, make up some ritual that gives you instant confidence. It could be tapping your stick with a finger, saying a word of strength to yourself or humming a melody.

Or wait... Only goalies do these strange things ;)

Wachovia Center

Dec 2, 2006

Find a goalie that you can do 1 on 1s with and just keep shooting at them. I do this with my friend all the time, it's a lot of fun too. You get to try new moves w/o having the pressure of winning a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad