Impression on Alzner/Plante

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Last night the Calgary Hitmen made their first trip to Spokane in 2 seasons, and I was excited to see them for many reasons, the main being Karl Alzner and Alex Plante.

I was impressed with Plante right from the get, he was a strong skater for his size, seemed to move the puck well and utilized his shot on a couple of occasions for scoring chances. I thought he was definately 2nd round NHL draft talent, if not even a 1st round sleeper ala Jeff Schultz.

Karl Alzner, however was absolutely spectacular. He wasn't listed as a star in the game which was a travesty, as I thought he was the best player on the ice. His movements were so fluid, making long passes while moving backwards, jumping into the rush only at the right times, making the right play every time he defended a rush, skating always with his head up while he had the puck. He made the right decision on every play I saw him make, and when the team was down 3-1 in the third is when he really shined. First he assisted on the team's second goal of the night, moving the puck ahead in transition and leading his forward on a partial break. Next, only minutes later, he got the puck at the center point and wristed a strong, heavy shot by Kevin Armstrong to tie the game at 3 and force overtime. If this kid is on the draft board when the Jackets draft, Doug had better take him, he would be a perfect fit. I think the Wade Redden comparisons are spot on, and being a Jacket fan I would be excited as heck to see him go.

Brett Sonne also played in the game last night, but was fairly unimpressive IMO. Decently physical, he just didn't seem to be around much when the big plays were happening. Almost invisible. I was more impressed with Freddie Pettersson, I thought the Edmonton draft pick was a very strong skater with a good shot.

IlyaAlexanderMalkin

Jun 20, 2006
Coeur d'Alene
I just went up from L.A. and saw the Hitmen play Kelowna last Sunday. I was very impressed with both Alzner and Plante. Plante moves great for a 6'5" 17 year old. He made great breakout passes and played the PK very well with Alzner.

Alzner was great! I didnt see a young "prospect" out on the ice. He play so composed and his hockey sense is top notch. He played in every situation and QB the powerplay very well. I do see a Wade Redden/Scott Hannan type player when I watched him play.

I do hope the Kings take him before the Jackets swoop him up!

I was most impressed with Ryan White and Keegan Dansereau. I think Mtl has a great 2-3 line center in White. He showed some great hands and vision. Dansereau is slick and has a good release.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
I just went up from L.A. and saw the Hitmen play Kelowna last Sunday. I was very impressed with both Alzner and Plante. Plante moves great for a 6'5" 17 year old. He made great breakout passes and played the PK very well with Alzner.

Alzner was great! I didnt see a young "prospect" out on the ice. He play so composed and his hockey sense is top notch. He played in every situation and QB the powerplay very well. I do see a Wade Redden/Scott Hannan type player when I watched him play.

I do hope the Kings take him before the Jackets swoop him up!

I was most impressed with Ryan White and Keegan Dansereau. I think Mtl has a great 2-3 line center in White. He showed some great hands and vision. Dansereau is slick and has a good release.
Yeah, he was a steal for sure...but expect him to play on the wings when he'll turn pro.

turnbuckle*

Good reports fellas.

Alzner is the best defenceman available in this draft; it's pretty much a consensus in the scouting world.

Plante has really been rising on our charts; I've seen him a few times recently and been impressed; has some decent offensive skills and a great point shot on the power play to go along with his size. Needs work on his pivoting and catching quick skaters taking him to the outside, but he's a character kid who is expected to keep improving. His old man hold the WHL point record for defencemen so he's got good genes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad