Imagine the team Czechoslovakia could have if they were still a country…

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
3 goals = chili said:
who wins between these two??

Team Canada or Team French Canada

Team Canada. Quebec is only the second most productive province in Canada in terms of NHL talent. They always have a few real good talents, but just don't have the depth.

Team Ontario vs Canada would be much closer.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Technically Finland and Russia have never been in the same country as Finland has always had a legislation & other national symbols (own post office, currency etc) of it's own.

Finland-Sweden used to be the same country for 800 years though, nowadays the hate-factor is way too high to even dream about a common team :)

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Back to the original topic I'm not sure that a Czechoslovakian team would be that much scarier than the current Czech roster. Each country has a comparable set of forward lines that on some levels are interchangable and they both lack depth on defence. Once you get past Chara and Khaberle there isn't much that is noticable. Throw in the lack of world class goaltending in Slovakia it's hard to believe the Czech republic would be in a better spot for having access to Slovakian players.

To me it wouldn't be the same story as you would see with an English-Canada/French-Canada break up. Quebec certainly has alot of depth in goal but little to choose from on defence. As such that is a situation where we have a stronger united team than two divided ones.

3 goals = chili

Jan 14, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Jakethesnake said:
Arrogance personified

Who won the most recent Olympics?? Whats USA's record in recent Basketball World Championships??

Best players DOES NOT equal best team.

theres no doubt that if the US had ANY...ANY outside shooting in these last Olympics they would have fared 10x better than they did. If Michael Redd or Kobe or Ray Allen or anyone with a shot that can range past 15 feet had been put on the team instead of Carmelo, Marbury, Boozer then the US would have medaled.

Arrogance or not if the best team from the US plays there is no way they should lose. I'm sorry but you cannot have an answer for the likes of

1- Jason Kidd
2- Kobe Bryant
3- LeBron James
4- Tim Duncan
5- Shaq

Bench= Iverson, Wade, Stoudemire, McGrady, Redd, Allen, Garnett, Brand, Wallace

I would bet the farm that a team with that lineup would win Gold 10/10 times, the only problem is i dont think we'll ever see a lineup like this because of egos and such, maybe if we played with 3 basketballs we could solve all the problems but that cant happen

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
Jonesey said:
What about if the USA invaded Canada? Our roster would look like this:

2006 Men's Olympic Team - Goaltenders

Player S/C HT WT Birthdate Hometown Team
Martin Brodeur L 6'2 210 5/6/72 Montreal, QC New Jersey
Roberto Luongo L 6'3 205 4/4/79 Montreal, QC Florida
Marty Turco L 6'0 171 8/13/75 Sault Ste. Marie, ON Dallas

2006 Men's Olympic Team - Defence

Rob Blake R 6'4 225 12/10/69 Simcoe, ON Colorado
Jay Bouwmeester L 6'4 220 9/27/83 Edmonton, AB Florida
Adam Foote R 6'2 215 7/10/71 Whitby, ON Columbus
Bryan McCabe L 6'2 220 6/8/75 St. Catharines, ON Toronto
Scott Niedermayer L 6'1 200 8/31/73 Cranbrook, BC Anaheim
Chris Pronger L 6'6 218 10/10/74 Dryden, ON Edmonton
Wade Redden L 6'2 205 6/12/77 Lloydminster, SK Ottawa
Robyn Regehr L 6'2 226 4/19/80 Rosthern, SK Calgary

2006 Men's Olympic Team - Forwards

Todd Bertuzzi R 6'3 245 2/2/75 Sudbury, ON Vancouver
Shane Doan R 6'2 216 10/10/76 Halkirk, AB Phoenix
Kris Draper L 5'11 190 5/24/71 Toronto, ON Detroit
Simon Gagne L 6'0 190 2/29/80 Ste-Foy, QC Philadelphia
Dany Heatley L 6'3 215 1/21/81 Calgary, AB Ottawa
Jarome Iginla R 6'1 208 7/1/77 St. Albert, AB Calgary
Vincent Lecavalier L 6'4 207 4/21/80 Ile Bizard, QC Tampa Bay
Rick Nash L 6'3 188 6/16/84 Brampton, ON Columbus
Brad Richards L 6'1 198 5/2/80 Murray Harbour, PEI Tampa Bay
Joe Sakic L 5'11 195 7/7/69 Burnaby, BC Colorado
Ryan Smyth L 6'1 190 2/21/76 Banff, AB Edmonton
Martin St-Louis L 5'9 185 6/18/75 Laval, QC Tampa Bay
Joe Thornton L 6'4 220 7/2/79 St. Thomas, ON San Jose

2006 Olympic Team - Reserves
Dan Boyle R 5'11 190 7/12/76 Ottawa, ON Tampa Bay
Jason Spezza R 6'3 211 6/13/83 Toronto, ON Ottawa
Eric Staal L 6'4 205 6/29/84 Thunder Bay, ON Carolina

Pretty good team, eh? :snide:
Wait a second... that looks like Team Canada!!!?!?!!! :dunce:

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
Nemchinov13 said:
Totally. Out of all those worthless and useless countries that have sprawled in place of USSR (including the so-called "Republic of Kazakhstan" where I was born - so don't anyone accuse me of being nationalist/imperialist), there isn't a single player that can be contributed to team Russia, except for Latvia's Irbe (a better back up than Bryzgalov) and maybe, a big maybe Antropov. Yeah, I'd take Antropov and his checking ability in place of Korky or Kharitonov. Yes, Ozolinsh individually is better than say Zhukov or Vish or Kaspar. But he is not needed at all. He is a Latvian Poti and we already have Gonchar. Enough said.

Soccer is a whole other story. We would need mostly Ukraine.

That sounds a little harsh, doesn't it?

I am from Ukraine (originally)... ;)

(By the way... Vishnevsky is from Kharkov :clap: ... Let's not forget Zhitnik. )

Kirk Muller*

What if we had a team like, Canada, USA, Finland and Sweden...

and then like also Russian, Slovakia and Czech Republic ! We would pound those Bielorussians !!

DonEsteban

Nov 24, 2005
ColinM said:
Back to the original topic I'm not sure that a Czechoslovakian team would be that much scarier than the current Czech roster. Each country has a comparable set of forward lines that on some levels are interchangable and they both lack depth on defence. Once you get past Chara and Khaberle there isn't much that is noticable. Throw in the lack of world class goaltending in Slovakia it's hard to believe the Czech republic would be in a better spot for having access to Slovakian players.
QUOTE]
I disagree. Hossa, Demitra, Gaborik are definitive improvement over the bottom part of the Czech forwards, hell, they are right there behind Jagr.

While the defense of both teams is not too deep, combined they are really fine: adding Chara, Visnovsky, Meszaros really helps, both in quality and depth.

Nothing needs to be added to Hasek/Vokoun tandem.

While both Czech and Slovak teams are fairly strong with outstanding top players,
their weakness is lack of depth. Combining them removes this weakness and makes them truly on par with Canada (if not better :yo: )

Thibaj

Aug 5, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Rover said:
Some crazy french politicians want exactly that. He wants a separate quebec team. From what I've heard, the olympics wouldn't allow two teams from the same country, but there are some international competitions that would. TSN even did a story about it this season and went around asking the french cdns which team would win and if they'd play for a french cnd team. I think all of them said it'd be interesting, but that they would rather that not happen and they want to play for team canada.

You are a "crazy french politician" just because you propose this? During the biggest football tournament (the World Cup), there is no team Great Britain, but there is team England, Scotland, etc... Why is it crazy to propose the same thing for hockey tournaments?

And during the "Jeux de la Francophonie", you have team New Brunswick, team Québec and team Canada and nobody thinks that this is crazy either.

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
DonEsteban said:
Too much vodka, I heard...
not really...
the results was reflection of the chemistry in the dressing room between slovaks and czechs.
unlike the previous years there were significanly more slovaks nominated to national team and some of the players didn't like it. there was even fight between peter slanina (slovak) and oldrich valek (czech) before the game against CCCP (i think) because of the "great" atmosphere between slovak and czechs.
nobody liked any nomination to natianal team. too many slovak, not enough slovak and so forth.
i didn't like either. but once thay play i didn't make difference between players i cheered for czechoslovakia team :teach:

Nemchinov13

Oct 19, 2002
Gravesend
Visit site
BruinsGirl said:
That sounds a little harsh, doesn't it?

I am from Ukraine (originally)... ;)

(By the way... Vishnevsky is from Kharkov :clap: ... Let's not forget Zhitnik. )
My apologies, my dear countrywoman. I'm harsh because I miss Soviet Union. In all honesty, my parents would not have immigrated to USA if USSR would not have collapsed and so tragically altered lives of so many millions throughout the post-Soviet space, including the lives of my parents. The reason I call these republics useless and worthless is because they mean nothing to the world. The leadership of all these countries are whoring themselves to receive grants, credits, the majority of which will pass into their bank accounts, while the people of these countries would hardly notice any difference. It's just a tragedy what happened to the Soviet people.

Vishnevsky is a Ukrainian? Then why did he have tears on his eyes when he received the call from Bure? Perhaps he was born in Kharkov' and then moved to Russia and probably has the same feelings about Russia as I do who was not born in Russia. Zhitnik has a typical Ukrainian last name and I believe he's from Kiev. In any case, I probably should've been more politically correct. Again, I apologize my opinions have hurt your feelings.

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
Nemchinov13 said:
My apologies, my dear countrywoman. I'm harsh because I miss Soviet Union. In all honesty, my parents would not have immigrated to USA if USSR would not have collapsed and so tragically altered lives of so many millions throughout the post-Soviet space, including the lives of my parents. The reason I call these republics useless and worthless is because they mean nothing to the world. The leadership of all these countries are whoring themselves to receive grants, credits, the majority of which will pass into their bank accounts, while the people of these countries would hardly notice any difference. It's just a tragedy what happened to the Soviet people.

Vishnevsky is a Ukrainian? Then why did he have tears on his eyes when he received the call from Bure? Perhaps he was born in Kharkov' and then moved to Russia and probably has the same feelings about Russia as I do who was not born in Russia. Zhitnik has a typical Ukrainian last name and I believe he's from Kiev. In any case, I probably should've been more politically correct. Again, I apologize my opinions have hurt your feelings.

No problems.. :) and who would've?

I am also quiet upset with everything that's happened. We are jewish-russians and I (unfortunatelly) don't feel anything toward New Ukraine. :( In fact I've visited to Moskow many more times than Kiev.

Vishnevsky is from Ukraine though... Kids team from Massachusetts visited kids hockey team in Kharkov and one of the kids stayed with Vishnevsky's family, he has younger brother. My guess is that Vitaliy accepted Russian citizenship, which make alot of sense, especially if he wanted to play for team Russia.

Nemchinov13

Oct 19, 2002
Gravesend
Visit site
BruinsGirl said:
No problems.. :) and who would've?

I am also quiet upset with everything that's happened. We are jewish-russians and I (unfortunatelly) don't feel anything toward New Ukraine. :( In fact I've visited to Moskow many more times than Kiev.

Vishnevsky is from Ukraine though... Kids team from Massachusetts visited kids hockey team in Kharkov and one of the kids stayed with Vishnevsky's family, he has younger brother. My guess is that Vitaliy accepted Russian citizenship, which make alot of sense, especially if he wanted to play for team Russia.
I have exactly the same feelings towards Kazakhstan. It's not my country. I was not born in Kazakhstan, I was born in USSR and raised accordingly. Russian Federation is the heir to the Soviet Union, so my sympathies will lie with them.

I didn't know that about Vishnevski. That's pretty cool. What makes it even cooler is that he actually wanted to play for Russia. How did you get that info about the kids?

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
Nemchinov13 said:
I have exactly the same feelings towards Kazakhstan. It's not my country. I was not born in Kazakhstan, I was born in USSR and raised accordingly. Russian Federation is the heir to the Soviet Union, so my sympathies will lie with them.

I didn't know that about Vishnevski. That's pretty cool. What makes it even cooler is that he actually wanted to play for Russia. How did you get that info about the kids?

i can't believe.
i was born and grew up in czechoslovakia. i didn't want czechoslovakia to split but i'm happy for independant slovakia now. it's so much better for both slovaks and czechs. don't get me wrong czechs are still "my people" . ;)

to BruinsGirl:
i've always though that ukrainiens (not sure how to write that) hate being called russians...no attacks :teach:
at least those i've talked on that topic told me so

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
yeah, if only the Soviets forcibly still controlled two entirely different peoples :shakehead

Ogopogo*

PapaBear said:
I have mentioned this before to. I believe if they were still one country they would be pretty dominate internationaly. probably better than us. or at least very very close. How crazy would that team be to play against lol. Who do you think would win? Canada or USSR

Elias Lang Jagr
Nagy Straka Hossa
Gaborik Vyborny Demitra
Satan Havlat Hejduk

Bondra, Svatos

Chara Visnovski
T. Kaberle F. Kaberle
Zidlicky Kubina

Malik

Hasek
Vokoun
Budaj

I just roughly threw those lines together (Havlat and Satan are out of position for starters), but as you can see, Czechoslovakia would be fierce.

Just think, in 50 years we will say that about Canada.

"Just think, if Alberta and Quebec were still part of Canada..." ;)

Nemchinov13

Oct 19, 2002
Gravesend
Visit site
e-e said:
i can't believe.
i was born and grew up in czechoslovakia. i didn't want czechoslovakia to split but i'm happy for independant slovakia now. it's so much better for both slovaks and czechs. don't get me wrong czechs are still "my people" . ;)

i've always though that ukrainiens (not sure how to write that) hate being called russians...no attacks :teach:

You could tell the difference by the way the last name ends. But most of the time it doesn't matter. I have lived in a region and used to go to class where out of 25 students, only 3 had last names with Russian endings. The rest had Ukrainian endings. Yet, all of them considered themselves Russian. Another such example is Kovalchuk - that's a fine Ukrainian last name. But I bet if you'd ask him, he'd tell you that he is Russian. The President of Belarus has a purely Ukrainian last name - Lukashenko. Yet it did not stop Belarussians to vote for him the first time around (not the recent elections). There are plenty of examples like that. Datsyuk is another example of a Ukrainian last name. So is Zhitnik. Kasparaitis is half Lithuanian and half Ukrainian, yet he chooses to be Russian.

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
Nemchinov13 said:
You could tell the difference by the way the last name ends. But most of the time it doesn't matter. I have lived in a region and used to go to class where out of 25 students, only 3 had last names with Russian endings. The rest had Ukrainian endings. Yet, all of them considered themselves Russian. Another such example is Kovalchuk - that's a fine Ukrainian last name. But I bet if you'd ask him, he'd tell you that he is Russian. The President of Belarus has a purely Ukrainian last name - Lukashenko. Yet it did not stop Belarussians to vote for him the first time around (not the recent elections). There are plenty of examples like that. Datsyuk is another example of a Ukrainian last name. So is Zhitnik. Kasparaitis is half Lithuanian and half Ukrainian, yet he chooses to be Russian.

i didn't talk about names....my point was:
if you hear someone speak english with "azbuka" accent and he introduces himself as igor, ivan, sasa,...people tend to say the guy is a russian. but he might not be...and i really has been told that ukrainins hate being called russians ... i'm not saying that...i was told

Nemchinov13

Oct 19, 2002
Gravesend
Visit site
e-e said:
i didn't talk about names....my point was:
if you hear someone speak english with "azbuka" accent and he introduces himself as igor, ivan, sasa,...people tend to say the guy is a russian. but he might not be...and i really has been told that ukrainins hate being called russians ... i'm not saying that...i was told
Oh, if that's the case then it is simply a matter of who you feel like. Someone may feel like a Jedi knight and might be offended when he is called American, same with the Ukrainians - some of them (usually from the Western Ukraine) feel like Ukrainians and others (like Datsyuk, Kovalchuk) feel like Russians.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
i'm sure there is a lot of animosity btwn ukrainians and russians. not only b/c of russification policy and the famine of the 30's. i think very many ukrainians at 1st were happy that the nazis drove out the soviets. i read in a magazine a poll that said that ukraine was the country hated most by russians, even more than US. and ukraine didn't like russia either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->