I'm wondering how many people on here hate Roman Reigns and why

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe modern day Bret Hart....

Touche.

1994 British Bulldog is actually a good comparable for Reigns. Strong guy with good mobility (Bulldog stronger, Reigns more mobile) but bland wrestling style and limited moveset. Not so good on promos and is ideally not the guy carrying his matches. Best in the mid card or ideally in a tag team with a more agile, charismatic wrestler.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Reigns is not Bret Hart obviously as a worker, but the difference is Bret Hart worked his way into people's psyche as a great competitor even when he wasn't pushed (like DBryan) where as the announcers see fit to remind you constantly how good Roman Reigns is even while he has a ways to go to get there. Wrestling fans who've been watching for years are not stupid.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Roman is actually very good in the ring. People hate him because of the horrible way he's been booked and the awful promo material they saddled him with ("Suffering Succotash" anyone?).

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Watched some vids and... Roman... got cheered... like it or not Vinces plan worked, it's all just to get Roman cheers. It worked on RAW so...

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Then when they disband again Roman will be back to square one.

Turn him heel on the Shield and join up with the USO's for the ultimate Samoan heel group.

Have them "visit" Hollywood and beat the crap out of the Rock for extra heat.

But VKM would rather keep shoving face Roman down the fans throats. Just shove heel Roman down our throats like you did with HHH and fans wouldn't revolt against it.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
i don't hate the guy but i have found that he is clearly being groomed as the next "guy" in the WWE and he's only a marginal wrestler with OK likeability. same with Cena and they never even had him turn heel so he got real stale real fast, but hey when the in ring product is mediocre, gotta get the sheep to buy those souvenirs to make up the revenue loss and Reigns and Cena certainly do that.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Upper cut, drive by, samoan drop, stupid man punch then thpear, repeat... if it's a ppv match sprinkle in a reversal from a submission to a powerbomb. That's why I hate him.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
He generally has very good matches, particularly on big shows. Some people won't give him his due because they dislike him. It's basically the same thing as Cena except Roman isn't nearly the draw Cena is.

He has good matches because nobody in the WWE is blessed with constantly such talented opponents.

He can't carry a match. Can he put on a great match with Rollins or AJ? Definitely. Can Cena get a good match out of him? Definitely. How many times have you seen a Roman match...loved it...and thought "Man. Roman really carried that one".

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
His theme music stinks

His ring attire is awful (especially the padded vest).

His promos sound robotic and unnatural (heavily scripted)

His move-set all involves running moves (Drive-by, Superman Punch, Spear)

His finishing move isn't original and shouldn't be a finisher anyways, but a set-up move.

He's a natural heel and they won't let him be one. Go watch his promos in NXT, or his promo as he entered the building back-stage at WM 32 before the show started. Pure heel.

His "promo" the night after retiring the Undertaker was Mr. McMahon-90s level heat. And the very next week he was back to being the "aw-shucks" good guy before getting his carcass handed to him by Stroman. He should be the biggest heel in the business but they refuse to give up on their project to make him "the man".

Savage, Austin, Rock, DX, Cena, even Orton and Batista in Evolution, all got over as heels first and the fans natural turned them into faces. That's how it's done, it's like Vince and Co. have blocked out what worked in the past.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I'd like to add, no one can relate to his character at all. Even the audience of today can see through his lame gimmick.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd like to add, no one can relate to his character at all. Even the audience of today can see through his lame gimmick.

They can see how fake and phony it is. It's not an extension of his personality, he's just playing a character created for him. In those few instances I referrenced, you could see the "real" Roman Reigns, smug, cocky SOB. That's him, not this fake bad@%$ gimmick.

Same way Jinder Mahal is just playing a character, the same character played by JBL, same character played by Alberto Del Rio.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Once they're hell bent on something, there is no reasoning or logic involved; they just do it their way. They think that because it "worked" with Cena that it'll happen with Reigns.

Vince still thinks he "creates" stars, but really it's the fans who do.

Hogan and Savages personas were well established before they ever worked for Vince.

Austin and Rock weren't planned. The fans reacted to their heel personas, their extension of themselves, and forced the WWE to change course and listened to the fans. They never planned for Austin to be "the man", but the fans reaction to Stone Cold was undeniable.

If they just listened to the fans back 3 years ago, and turned Reigns into the smug, cocky SOB heel he was born to be, the fans would of turned him into a megastar by now. Instead they continue to crap all over him, even as part of the returning Shield.

Doesn't help that in a corporate WWE, decisions are often made with merchandise sales in mind. Rating may be down with Reigns as the leading man, but his merch sales are high in comparison to the rest of the company, little kids buy his schtick and buy his merch, so they don't want to hurt that by turning him heel.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't hate him, but to me he's the guy I use my bathroom break on, or change the channel to watch something else. He just isn't exciting to me. His promos are bland or miss their mark, his matches are okay, not great but certainly not awful, it just doesn't feel like anything that I like to see happen does so when Roman Reigns is on my tv. I do hate that he is pushed as a superman type guy, but that's the booking so I don't hold it against Roman.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Last night was typical Roman stuff and just why I hate him.

- carried to a good match by a significantly more talented opponent in Cesaro

- finally managed to finally sell something after Cesaro worked his shoulder for a good 15 minutes.

- demolished for the entire match

- still manages to use said shoulder for one arm powerbomb, superman punching and spear.

- announcers act like we're watching a GOAT wrestler.

Over it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->