I'm wondering how many people on here hate Roman Reigns and why

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta
So I am not a fan of Roman one way or the other, I could care less if he is or isn't in the WWE. I've always found it odd however that this dude is so hated, he's really good in the ring, terrible on the mic, and isn't a heel or a face which kind of bugs me. Do people just generally dislike him because he is being shoved down our throats and is going to be the next John Cena whether the fans want it or not, or it is some other reason?

Chime in as I don't have many people IRL to talk to about wrestling.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I've said it many times around here before -- I enjoy his in-ring work, his mic work is inconsistent -- sometimes good, sometimes not so good -- his tweener character post-WM is much, much better but the booking problems still remain and it just turns me off him very much.

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta
I mean the booking is usually the biggest issue when it comes to all of WWE. Well I don't mind his booking so badly as of late as he has been taking the pin falls and been beaten more times than not. His spear is really good as well, a heel turn would help him the most, and him probably being in a non PG era to seem more threatening. I really enjoyed the first "shoot" promo him and Cena had even if it was scripted, but after that it just seemed more and more fake and putting him up against Cena on the mic wasn't the best idea either for his character. I just really want to know when people started hating him. The shield-somethinghappenedforhimtobesohated-nowhated

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I was never a fan of his during the Shield days, I definitely thought he was the worst amongst the trio but I wouldn't say I hated him. Nowadays though, I personally hate him. He's pretty bad on the mic and on a good day he's only average.

At the end of the day though, it's really the booking and the fact that he's shoved down our throats constantly. There are so many other wrestlers that constantly have to take a backseat while the same guy is pushed to the moon. He main evented 3 Wrestlemanias in a row and he's going to main event a fourth in a row. Has anyone else even had that honor? Just slow down with him, attendance is going down at shows because they make the rest of the roster feel completely insignificant and they won't try to make new stars, they just push one guy that the crowd isn't into. Meanwhile, they make him out to be invincible after he's been kayfabe murdered several times and still kicks out at two.

FWIW, I also hated Cena until recently when it was the same schtick with him. Anyone who is constantly shoved down our throats, takes a beating, and miraculously wins every match is just so damn boring and predictable. If you're going to make someone invincible, do it like they did with Asuka in NXT. We didn't see her several times every week and she was the one putting in most of the offense rather than getting her ass kicked and always kicking out at 2 after 4 finishers and then taking down her opponent in one finisher... The matches with Reigns just aren't believable with how they treat his finishers and others.

Reactions: SSJ3 Lunar

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
His booking is awful and he's awful on the mic. The man can go in the ring though. (Not like an AJ or Rollins but he's certainly capable)

To really simplify it...I don't like him because I'm being told I should and he's being pushed as THE guy when clearly he's not. We're on year...4? 3? of the attempt to get him over and they've tried everything. The Rock. Cena. Undertaker....it's really frustrating to watch Reigns constantly get pushed as the guy when they won't put an ounce of effort or faith into a Bray Wyatt.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
My problem with Roman Reigns is that I’m constantly told he’s a step above everyone else and that we like him. and everyone else suffers for it. Plain and simple.

Braun Strowman is not champion solely because it would take away from Roman’s upcoming win at Wrestlemania. For the first time in seemingly forever, you have a guy that is everything that everybody has ever wanted INCLUDING Vince and he was just completely tossed aside.

You are getting the reunion of the faction of the decade only because they think yet again it’ll get him over as a babyface.

The insistence of pushing him as the top guy and then even worse, pushing him as a babyface is ruining the product.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Here we go again. It's the Cena response all over again, even though Cena was much better than Reigns. Let's make it very clear.

Nobody hates Roman Reigns. Everyone hates how he's being booked as the only wrestler that matters. Year after year, people see right through it. It's not the man they hate. They hate being forced to like a guy when it doesn't come natural. They hate being forced to watch him as the only main eventer when it matters (Wrestlemania). Even the booking to try to get him over (DB handshake, Rock arm raise, Cena arm raise, Taker retirement) is too much.

It's always the booking.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I don't hate Reigns. I hate the booking. At this point, it would take a long absence for me to open up to him again.

He's booked unbeatable. How many times has he lost cleanly in his WWE career? 5, maybe? He's a solid ring worker, not incredible. He's decent on the stick, not incredible.

He doesn't struggle. Ever. Guys like AJ and Seth and Owens are more over than Reigns because they can be beat.

If Reigns was an unbeatable monster... But heel? This works. You'd want to see him get beat.

Problem is he hovers between face (with heel heat) and tweener (with heel heat).

I personally don't care if I'm distracted when he's on my TV because I can tell you exactly what's gonna happen.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I agree with much of the sentiment in here. I certainly don't "hate" Reigns. I view him as a mid card talent who is being forced into the very top role, for which he is quite ill-suited. He's decent in ring, certainly not great and not a guy who can carry a main event level match. He's mediocre on the mic at best. Doesn't have all that much charisma. Unfortunately he has been brought up almost solely in a WWE environment so he never really developed a diverse skillset. I don't hold it against him that he has been poorly booked as a top face, and I don't even hold it against him that he makes plenty of cringe inducing quotes when interviewed outside of wrestling. He's not unlike David Desharnais being thrust into the top line in Montreal.

I do hate the spear. It's so overdone at this point that it's ridiculous. At least his is better than Edge's running hug.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
I don't hate Roman Reigns, I hate that he's a completely manufactured star that Vince has a hard-on for.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I can't stand the running punches, makes me cringe. I think it's the laziest main event finishing move set I've ever seen.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I don't hate Roman. I don't even dislike him. I hate this idea that he's the best.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't hate Roman. I don't even dislike him. I hate this idea that he's the best.
589314f216e245bd143fdc9ebb7524401ec36ddf_hq.gif

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't hate Roman Reigns. I hate Vince McMahon and his "vision" because he's an out of touch old man who needs to go as far away from the wrestling business as possible in order for it to thrive again.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I would've liked a more organic build instead of ramming him down our throats. He's fine in the ring and okay on the mic. He's not a finished product but he's being booked like he's the top guy in the company. His finishing moves are bland. Like the promo...he's a knockoff of Super Cena.

I want to like him right now but I don't. Being an unwelcomed top guy in the internet age has to be hell for him but I'm sure the checks clear either way.

I've said before...I'd rather this just be another golden age of talent but instead super talented guys are in the shadow of Roman when us smarky fans know he's not the best wrestler or talker in the company. He's got "the look" of a top guy.

You watch the organic build of Braun into a breakout star. That's how you figure out who reaches the fans and who moves the needle.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I hate that he's being pushed to be 10x better than anyone else. He's main evented 3 years in a row, retired Undertaker, beat Cena clean (including kicking out of like 4 AAs and a super AA). That's just ridiculous. I'm against that type of push for anybody.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
He's forced down our throats. Essentially everyone now is built up to make Roman look strong. He can go in the ring with the right opponent but since we already know it's all just to get Roman over its pretty boring and frustrating.

We're coming on our 4th WM Main event for Roman and his 3rd crowning/big moment. Some Wrestlers who do deserve this or are big fan favourites might not even get 1.

They also ignore the fact that he's sometimes booked as a heel and the fans so desperately want him heel but instead push this babyface who would be better and show more personality as a heel. They also try to make up excuses or ignore all the booing and spin it like "OMG these fans are going crazy for Roman!!! He's THE GUY, THE BIG DAWG, THE BEST EVER"

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Also, if they rush the whole Shield Reunion just as a last chance scenario to get Roman over then my god! I think the Miztourage is such a waste or the reunion too, even with how awesome Miz is. I'd like a real faction or tag team to be the cause for the Shield to come back, not Miz and jobbers.

Roman is gonna get booed either way or Vince and co will just assume the cheers are all for Roman

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Another problem with Roman is his move set. The spear is fine, even if it's extremely predictable when he's going to do it (like when both guys run towards the ropes, you just KNOW Reigns is gonna spear the other dude). But the superman punch NEEDS to go away. It's as bad as Cena's five knuckle shuffle.

Also, I don't know why WWE doesn't realize this but Reigns isn't the only guy with a main event look. Seth Rollins has a main event look. Finn Balor has a main event look. Don't just limit the main event to "Reigns vs the guy who loses to Reigns"

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Hate the placement and priority of the character amongst the rest of the roster, so yeah, I hate the booking. I just don’t think he’s as great as Vince likes to think he is and the WWE’s insistence on crowning him as the next “it guy” is just baffling to me. I also feel like Reigns has been given plenty of opportunities to change people’s minds and can’t figure out how to do it. It’s like if Rock stayed in the Rocky Maivia character for 4 years and blamed the “smarks” for not accepting it. Rock completely changed his persona and made people view him differently whereas Roman still rocks the Shield theme and flak jacket trying to play off the only time he was actually completely over with the crowd.

They’re still trying to figure out how to hammer a square peg into a round hole when it seems they’re too scared to consider that he just might not be the guy they want him to be.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Also, if they rush the whole Shield Reunion just as a last chance scenario to get Roman over then my god! I think the Miztourage is such a waste or the reunion too, even with how awesome Miz is. I'd like a real faction or tag team to be the cause for the Shield to come back, not Miz and jobbers.

Roman is gonna get booed either way or Vince and co will just assume the cheers are all for Roman
I think this post is very underrated in some of the recent anger and just flat out lack of care for the product. The Shield reunion has nothing to do with The Shield, Ambrose, or Rollins. It has nothing to do with being needed. It has nothing to do with storyline. It's legit just a way to try to get cheers for Reigns. It's insane. :laugh:

Reactions: iamjs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad