I'm tired of hering that the Q is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HABracadabra

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Psycho Joe said:
True ignorance is only listing a league's success stories and listing another league's bombs in order to support one's argument. Truth is more players are being drafted and making the NHL out of the WHL and the OHL than they are out of the QMJHL. The overall numbers don't lie. The Q has produced some great talents and some great bombs, like any other league and hockey area in the world, but they are not at the same level overall as the WHL and OHL. Here's some numbers to ponder. Between 1969 and 1997 the OHL had 23.7% of all drafted players, WHL 19.6% and the QMJHL 10.5%. US colleges were even ahead of the Q with 13.1% and US highschools just behind at 9.9%.
And what does that mean, there is a really logical explanation for that, top end-talent will always be selected, whatever the origins, but if a team as a choice on two players basically the same talent wise, who will you pick?

Me, as a french Canadian, if i would be the GM of a team and i have the choice, i probably will go with the francophone player. And if i'm and english GM born and raise in Alberta and i have a choice between a player from Amqui or Red Deer, damn, there is a good chance i'd pick the guy from Red Deer.

Before somebody jump up there is no racism attach to this, it's just common sense, and in a league where i would guess that at least 80% of the deciding people (GM, Ass-GM, Head scout, scouts) are english, it's logical that there would be more people pick from leagues whre there is more english speaking players,

Heck, some NHL teams doesn't eve have a full time scout in the Q

Bud The Spud*

I am an English speaking Canadian, but I would probably choose the French Canadian from the Q, mostly because I favour the Q more than the other leagues. This is probably because most of my favourite players are francophone goalies who played in the Q.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
LOL i knew someone was going to start bashing the Q in this thread after the 3-2 loss.

Oh well. For people at the game, Russia didnt beat the Q, Barulin did. 51 saves.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Anfernic said:
I don't know why but it seems that a lot of people think that the Q not in the same class as OHL and WHL.

The Q as produce a lot of talent in the past years, and even if they were drafted late some players have succesfull carrer.

Some example of young player

Top nhl players: Lecavalier - Tanguay - Richards - Gagne - Daze - Brière - Nagy - Dumont

Rising star: Bergeron - King - Hemsky - Bouchard - Ribeiro - Lombardi

Good player: Daigle - Abid

Goaltender: Fleury - Denis - Theodore - Luongo - Giguère - Garon

All those are or will be for sur in the hall of fame so shut up with your comments like the Q is a less talent league.

And to conclude in the next years some very great hockey players will arrive in the nhl from the Q I will name you some of the name to remeber

Sydney Crosby - Steve Bernier - M-A Pouliot - Guillame Latendresse - Romy Elayoubi - Mathieu Carle - J-P Paquet - Luc Bourdon - Alexandre Picard - Alex Bourret - Kevin Maillhot

I like the Q, but if you want to throw out names, the OHL has produced

Pronger
Lindros
Allison
Bertuzzi
Thornton
Arnott
Spezza
Berard
Torres
Murray
Nolan
Ricci
Hatcher
O'Neill
Peca

and they've produced the likes of Yzerman, Gretzky, Roberts, and a ton of other players. The OHL just has produced more good players.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
LOL i knew someone was going to start bashing the Q in this thread after the 3-2 loss.

Oh well. For people at the game, Russia didnt beat the Q, Barulin did. 51 saves.

I love it when one player can beat the Q. Seriously....

I agree that one game proves nothing, but the bottom line is that the Q lost. Hope it doesn't happen again.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
HABracadabra said:
And what does that mean, there is a really logical explanation for that, top end-talent will always be selected, whatever the origins, but if a team as a choice on two players basically the same talent wise, who will you pick?

Me, as a french Canadian, if i would be the GM of a team and i have the choice, i probably will go with the francophone player. And if i'm and english GM born and raise in Alberta and i have a choice between a player from Amqui or Red Deer, damn, there is a good chance i'd pick the guy from Red Deer.

Before somebody jump up there is no racism attach to this, it's just common sense, and in a league where i would guess that at least 80% of the deciding people (GM, Ass-GM, Head scout, scouts) are english, it's logical that there would be more people pick from leagues whre there is more english speaking players,

That is the worst reasoning I have ever read. Just because the Habs are stupid enough to draft on the basis of ethnic origin, don't paint the rest of the league with the same brush.

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
Van said:
All-Star games are meant for show...even in junior hockey. That is why there are no more CHL All-Star games....just an annual prospects game, and now the Canada-Russia pre-U20 series.

The Memorial Cup championships does show the quality of each league. And the QMJHL having only 2 championships in the last 30 years speaks volumes about the better quality hockey that the WHL and OHL plays.

And 2nd place does not matter. You play to win, not for 2nd place.

tell that to dion paneouf

Bud The Spud*

Psycho Joe said:
That is the worst reasoning I have ever read. Just because the Habs are stupid enough to draft on the basis of ethnic origin, don't paint the rest of the league with the same brush.

IMO, there are many habs fans who support this type of drafting, preferring Francophone players.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Stephen said:
I like the Q, but if you want to throw out names, the OHL has produced

and they've produced the likes of Yzerman, Gretzky, Roberts, and a ton of other players. The OHL just has produced more good players.

Most of US (Q fan) are'nt saying that the Q has always been as good as the WHL and the OHL but since 5-6 years it's very very close and the last memorials cup and inter-league games showed it.

Capt Tuttle

Jan 31, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
HABracadabra said:

People often misuse the word racism. What you're saying is you are biased towards a francophone player as opposed to a player of equal ability from another province. No, this is not racism but neither is it good hockey sense. If I'm a GM, I'm picking who I feel is the best player for our team. Regardless of how close they are in ability, there is always a deciding factor before origin comes into play.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
HABracadabra said:

Before somebody jump up there is no racism attach to this, it's just common sense

I know it isn't racism, but it sure isn't common sense.

If I had to pick between Joe Thornton or Vincent Lecavalier, I'm not going to make the decision based on who was born in London and who was born in Ile Bizard. I'm going to make the decision based on things like long term potential, etc. If I'm running the Leafs and I decide Lecavalier is going to be better for me, however slightly, I'm not going to pick Joe Thornton. Hell, if I decide that a Finn or a Russian or a Japanese is an even better prospect than those two guys, I'm going to pick that guy. That's common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->