I'm sure this has been posted before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
But haven't been able to locate it, so please delete or lock this thread and point me to the other one.

My question is, what are the chances that a league starts on time for next season, I mean, even if they sign a deal tomorrow or even in 2 weeks, the 400 free agents aren't going to be a walk in the park to sign. Not to mention the rule changes to be decided on, so has any thought been gone into the probability of an October start to the season?

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I think the whole reason the CBA is taking so long to finish is the fact that they are trying to work out how all this mess(the FA chaos, the draft, and qualifying offers) are going to be sorted out...

If the deal is done by mid July..Here is how I think it would be best played out..

Day CBA is announced, hold the lottery draft right after to plug the draft and the NHL(draw Crosby media attention)

Two weeks to sign/qualify/tender offers to all UFA, RFA, and unsigned rookies.

Followed by

One week to sign UFA and Buyout contracts not counting against the cap(player bought out cannot resign or be traded back to said club for 2 years)

3 weeks after the CBA is announced, draft is held...

Camps are allowed to open the day after draft day(s).

Putting you hopefully right in line to start a long pre-season at the end of August(IMO, pre-season should last an extra week, possibly even two to get players in game shape, sometime in the last week or two of Aug)

Season starts the 2nd to last week of September(3rd week of September).

Its just that easy..

;)

Reasoning behind holding the draft after the FA mess is resolved a bit is to allow teams to know what their needs are and address them accordingly via the draft.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Technically the league could open and play within a week of a new CBA providing a schedule is in place. Teams would go with who they have signed, try like mad to sign other players and just use minor league players to fill the rosters while waiting to land some more big fish. This is not really an issue. If the CBA is signed in a week or so it will be a fast and exciting summer but teams will certainly have time to put teams together in time to start in September.

Spungo*

Drury_Sakic said:
Season starts the 2nd to last week of September(3rd week of September).

That's a terrible idea. The season should start October 1 at the earliest.

gvkmedia

20th Captain in franchise history.
Mar 2, 2002
Oshawa.
www.hollandbloorview.ca
Gotta disagree...

I'm with Drury on this one. Somehow, someway, we have to have hockey end before June starts.

The only logical way, without shaving games off the schedule, would be to start a bit earlier.

The kids hockey programs are in full flight come September, so should the NHL.
End it on May 24th long weekend or there abouts.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Spungo said:
That's a terrible idea. The season should start October 1 at the earliest.

Why? With the Olympics coming up, the games will be more condensed. If the season starts October 1, in a perfect world, the season would end near the end of April.

Frankly, it doesn't matter when the games are played. All these people who want the playoffs to end before June begins make absolutely no sense and should realize that is never going to happen, unless the Finals are a sweep.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
Just a thought -

Could the NHL use this season as a trial balloon? Go with a shortened schedule, and then if it's deemed a success, go with it again in the following season and so on?

Like I said, just a thought...because I can't imagine they'd intentionally go short with the kind of revenue gaps they're going to see this season.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
gvkmedia said:
I'm with Drury on this one. Somehow, someway, we have to have hockey end before June starts.

The only logical way, without shaving games off the schedule, would be to start a bit earlier.

The kids hockey programs are in full flight come September, so should the NHL.
End it on May 24th long weekend or there abouts.
Or you could not have those four day breaks between games early in the season ...... but with a three week shut down for the Olypmics this year the season will go until Mid-June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->