Status
Not open for further replies.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
TinCanCommunications said:
I'm as disappointed as the next guy. But we'll be in the hunt in 2010. Cheer up. And stop acting like such babies in front of the world.

Yep, I must admit to being somewhat dumbfounded by many of the comments on this board recently. (When one is motivated to visit the Trade Board for more sensible reading, you know something is wrong. :biglaugh: )

Yes, I'm an American, but not some naive myopic Johnny Come Lately who doesn't acknowledge or understand Canada's great history with hockey...which remains to this very moment.

But in addition to all of the excellent points you raise (namely, that you cannot throw names together in less than a week and expect success), the scapegoating and finger-pointing seem to lack a basic appreciation of international hockey history.

That is, while Canada dominated amateur hockey through the mid-50s, the game evolved in other countries over time...and through the 60s and up until recently, Canada's amateur "dominance" decreased, no? The Canadian professional teams of '72, '76 and '87 fame beat their world counterparts, but again, evolution has taken over and the overall talent level and hockey acumen of other nations has increased since.

Taken in that context, Canada's Gold Medal in '02 was a great accomplishment...but should not be confused with "the norm," blind patriotic pride notwithstanding. That is, expecting to medal every Olympic is somewhat unrealistic, to be kind. (Only surpassed by the naive notion among some US fans that it's Olympic team "disappointed" and that heads should roll as a result.)

Lest anyone accuse this poster of piling on when a country is down, the analogy can be made between Canadian Olympic hockey teams and US Olympic basketball teams. It took many decades for the world to catch up with the US's amateur basketballers. They did, finally, in '72....and again in '88. The result: the US went "professional" with the Dream Team of '92 and regained it's Olympic dominance. Fast forward 12 years later and the world has once again caught up with our professionals.

It happens.

Jazz

Trottier said:
Yep, I must admit to being somewhat dumbfounded by many of the comments on this board recently. (When one is motivated to visit the Trade Board for more sensible reading, you know something is wrong. :biglaugh: )

Yes, I'm an American, but not some naive myopic Johnny Come Lately who doesn't acknowledge or understand Canada's great history with hockey...which remains to this very moment.

But in addition to all of the excellent points you raise (namely, that you cannot throw names together in less than a week and expect success), the scapegoating and finger-pointing seem to lack a basic appreciation of international hockey history.

That is, while Canada dominated amateur hockey through the mid-50s, the game evolved in other countries over time...and through the 60s and up until recently, Canada's amateur "dominance" decreased, no? The Canadian professional teams of '72, '76 and '87 fame beat their world counterparts, but again, evolution has taken over and the overall talent level and hockey acumen of other nations has increased since.

Taken in that context, Canada's Gold Medal in '02 was a great accomplishment...but should not be confused with "the norm," blind patriotic pride notwithstanding. That is, expecting to medal every Olympic is somewhat unrealistic, to be kind. (Only surpassed by the naive notion among some US fans that it's Olympic team "disappointed" and that heads should roll as a result.)

Lest anyone accuse this poster of piling on when a country is down, the analogy can be made between Canadian Olympic hockey teams and US Olympic basketball teams. It took many decades for the world to catch up with the US's amateur basketballers. They did, finally, in '72....and again in '88. The result: the US went "professional" with the Dream Team of '92 and regained it's Olympic dominance. Fast forward 12 years later and the world has once again caught up with our professionals.

It happens.
And we should celebrate that more countries have picked up the sport!! :handclap:

I Hate You All*

They should have put the Canadian players on antidepressants so they could have at least enjoyed their vacations and getting their butts kicked a little.

StorminZ

Jun 3, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Kinbote said:
Yeah, I guess denial is easier than looking at the real problems with Canadian hockey....maybe we'll do something after the same thing happens in Vancouver in 2010.
The only real problem is the over-reaction by some Canadian hockey fans, as evidenced by this type of response, not Canadian hockey.

It's been said over and over and it bears being repeated in light of this kind of drivel, Canada won't win every international hockey tournament and at that, not winning the gold medal in the Olympics does not constitute a crisis for Hockey Canada. Yes, there will be adjustments as that is inevitable simply because players age, retire and new ones come onto the scene -- and at that, there may (would) be adjustments had we won the gold, too.

It's great to analyze and speculate about what might have been had this or that player been selected and this or that strategy been adopted -- debate is great -- but for any Canadian hockey fan to claim there's a crisis is simply an overly emotional, knee-jerk response to the situation. I am disappointed and I believe there might have been better choices, but remember this, it's always easier to tell someone "I told you so" in total hindsight than to have the guts to make a tough decision when nothing is a given ... and maybe therein lies the problem, some fans thinking Canada should be the perennial hockey champions and when we're not, we're a failure. And I am not advocating that we should accept defeat. On the contrary, let's learn from the experience ... that doesn't mean having to trash the GM, coaches and players.

Being graceful in defeat is a tenant worthy of good sportsmanship ... me thinks some of us need to become better sportsmen (or sportswomen, as the case may be).

StorminZ

Jun 3, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Trottier said:

It happens.
Your posts are always a treat to read! TYVM for your presence and your sharing. :clap: :clap: :clap:

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
tincancommunications is easily my favourite poster after this thread.

brilliant!

thanks for putting it in perspective, i realize people have wild emotions, but it was embarassing to read what some had to say. you'd have thought our players had deliberatly lost.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Boo hoo.
We lost.

We put a great team in, but we lacked chemistry, leadership, speed, and defensemen in the transition game.

It's a two week tournament. And you're playing for your life within 7 or 8 days of your first scrimmage.

It ain't always gonna work. It just ain't.
Those guys were playing hard. They just didn't click.

It's gonna happen like that. It takes more than big names on a jersey to win gold.

Canadian fans need to settle down and stop acting like such spoiled babies.
How many Canadian hockey fans wanted to go back to amatuers after 2002?
Surely none of guys I partied with?

I'm as disappointed as the next guy. But we'll be in the hunt in 2010.
Cheer up. And stop acting like such babies in front of the world.

Get off your :soap:

I happen to agree but don't sell your fellow countrymen down the river with this "I'm embarassed" ********. As if you're so much better than everyone else? And as if you're the only one that feels this way?

Get a life, please.

A Good Flying Bird*

BigE said:
Get off your :soap:

I happen to agree but don't sell your fellow countrymen down the river with this "I'm embarassed" ********. As if you're so much better than everyone else? And as if you're the only one that feels this way?

Get a life, please.

seemed like a measured response to the reactionary posts being made at the time. "I'm embarassed by Canada's effort. I'm embarassed by Gretzky. I'm embarassed by Quinn. blah. blah. blah.

As for the Get a life part ... well, I'm married. I play the guitar. I have a job that keeps me happily busy. I play Ball hockey in leagues four to six games a week ...
What part of life am I missing?

Or was that some ignorant attempt at an insult? (And by ingorant, I mean, when you are speaking of my life, you're comment is baseless.)

A Good Flying Bird*

Trottier said:

It happens.

Canada's death grip on world hockey is over.
And that's a good thing.
Europeans have added so much to the game.

I still think that Canada is the best hockey country in the world. And I'm as certain (as much as one can be with a hypothetical) that Canada would have won this or any other tournament if all the teams had had a month's worth of preparation.
Even with the lack of speed/puck moving defensemen on Canada's roster.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
seemed like a measured response to the reactionary posts being made at the time. "I'm embarassed by Canada's effort. I'm embarassed by Gretzky. I'm embarassed by Quinn. blah. blah. blah.

As for the Get a life part ... well, I'm married. I play the guitar. I have a job that keeps me happily busy. I play Ball hockey in leagues four to six games a week ...
What part of life am I missing?

Or was that some ignorant attempt at an insult? (And by ingorant, I mean, when you are speaking of my life, you're comment is baseless.)

I'm not sure to be honest; what are you missing? What reason would someone of such lofty surroundings have for throwing his countrymen under the bus?

It's quite clear that the purpose of your post WAS NOT to alter the opinions and mindset of the 'countless many' calling for Canada to be ashamed of its hockey team. This, of course, begs the question: why post a rant of this nature at all? To seek approval from a community of internet hockey-junkies (most of whom are under the age of 16); to lift your esteem; to fill an unmet need?

Spare me your explanation; whatever it is I care not. Just, as I indicated earlier, get a life.

:clap:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
One thing to be said for Canadian hockey fans though... has there been a single mention of the goals called back, either in the Swiss or Russian game? I mean, we tied the game up against the Russians, but the ref blew the call by blowing the whistle early, and it remained 1-0. I'm certainly not complaining, Sure it sucks, but those things happen, you win some you lose some. And it seems everyone else in Canada understands this as there's been pretty much no whining about it. I don't know, I don't mean to start a flame war, but it seems any time there's a controversial call against some of the other European teams, especially when it benefits Canada or US (what was it again that happened in the Canada Russia WJC finals this year?), there's always some european fans over here whining and complaining how the ice is tilted in North America's favor.

Maybe I'm wrong because I can't recal any specific examples, but thats the impression I got at least.

A Good Flying Bird*

BigE said:
I'm not sure to be honest; what are you missing? What reason would someone of such lofty surroundings have for throwing his countrymen under the bus?

It's quite clear that the purpose of your post WAS NOT to alter the opinions and mindset of the 'countless many' calling for Canada to be ashamed of its hockey team. This, of course, begs the question: why post a rant of this nature at all? To seek approval from a community of internet hockey-junkies (most of whom are under the age of 16); to lift your esteem; to fill an unmet need?

Spare me your explanation; whatever it is I care not. Just, as I indicated earlier, get a life.

:clap:

Self applause. Nice.
You don't know anything about me, yet you continue with insults. Insults which are not permitted by the boards, but oh well.
If you've ever posted at the political board, or the red wing board (or the business board during the lockout), you'd know that I do not care if my posts are popular or not.) you'd know that I don't post to "fit in" or draw praise.
I post what I think. If you'd like to contest my opinion, I'm all for it and I'll debate you and concede points when I'm wrong.
But I will not get into it with people who make groundless assumptions about me or my motivation for posting.

If your comprehension skills are sharp, you probably know this this the end of our little conversation, unless you decide to post in a more civil, adult manner.

Thanks,
TinCanCommunications
A Subsidiary of the NewsGuyOne Network

A Good Flying Bird*

Kinbote said:
I'm embarrassed by Canadian hockey apologists.

Now, would a Canadian hockey apologist
a) make excuses for the Canadian loss?
b) whine about the loss?
c) say Canadian hockey is fine and that we just got beat?

What's your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->