Post-Game Talk: Ilya Samsonov. Leafs win 2-1 in OT!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
regardless, if someone wants to make a valid analysis of chances in the PO/vulnerabilities etc, then a consistent metric must be applied to all teams.
You're certainly allowed to apply whatever you like to whatever you like.
Seems meaningless to me.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
regardless, if someone wants to make a valid analysis of chances in the PO/vulnerabilities etc, then a consistent metric must be applied to all teams.
"Good teams are built for the goalie out" ..

Sammy vs Vasilevskiy is the only thing that matters to Leaf fans in round #1. Ullmark's inexperience is not helping Samsonov.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It's strange that (a game in which the Panthers needed a win to punch their wild card ticket) Chucky stop skating and made zero attempt to save a goal. Chucky could have taken 2-3 more strides and try to dive to impede/hook Tavares.

Imagine one of the Leaf players doing that in a must win game? The Toronto media would be in a feeding frenzy.
Maybe they are trying to get their screaming maniac of a coach fired

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Heres hoping @Mess goaltending fears carryover in playoffs as well as they did in season.

I've rolled my eyes at some of Mess' takes but I do agree that goaltending is what will decide if Toronto advances or not, at least more than anything else.

I think Samsonov has earned his shot. Campbell had decent numbers last year but few of us were confident going into the playoffs with his poor numbers from December onwards. The game 6 OT goals he gave up versus Montreal and then Tampa were abysmal.

That doesn't mean others don't share the blame. The teams leaders / stars need to rise up in a big moment (elimination game) and find a way to win. The depth needs to score when the top guys are being shut down, and the special teams needs to stay hot and stop turning to shit.

I'm not sure the numbers support this, but I think Samsonov has provided the steadiest goaltending the team has had since Andersen's second last year. I know his post season numbers aren't great, but I have confidence in him - at least for this year.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You didn't mention OT specifically, and I'm not sure it's any more true in OT than regulation.

Fair, I was more so continuing the convo or JT out in OT to the original post. I don’t think you’re wrong though. JT does make a ton of turn overs 5 on 5. Speed has been a factor, just giving you a hard time

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I've rolled my eyes at some of Mess' takes but I do agree that goaltending is what will decide if Toronto advances or not, at least more than anything else.
Goaltending is pretty much always what impacts outcomes more than any other individual thing. It's what's screwed us in many past series-defining moments. The question is why the individual is attempting to evaluate Samsonov off of the record of his previous team in the playoffs, and use that faulty logic to misrepresent our goaltending as concerning, when on a per-game basis, Samsonov just put up the best goaltending performance by a Leaf starter in the cap era.
It's also quite rich to watch him suddenly emphasize the importance of playoff experience after he spent the whole season pumping up Ullmark and dumping on Murray.

Reactions: Pinkcat

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I think Samsonov has earned his shot. Campbell had decent numbers last year but few of us were confident going into the playoffs with his poor numbers from December onwards. The game 6 OT goals he gave up versus Montreal and then Tampa were abysmal.

That doesn't mean others don't share the blame. The teams leaders / stars need to rise up in a big moment (elimination game) and find a way to win. The depth needs to score when the top guys are being shut down, and the special teams needs to stay hot and stop turning to shit.

I'm not sure the numbers support this, but I think Samsonov has provided the steadiest goaltending the team has had since Andersen's second last year. I know his post season numbers aren't great, but I have confidence in him - at least for this year.
Interestingly enough, he had a higher SV% in the playoffs than in the regular season with Washington.

Reactions: Jmo89

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I have always had more faith in Sammy from the very start. You can see my off-season posts expecting him to be Leafs main goalie this year. :)

However Sammy has 1 single playoff game win to his name in his entire career so we are about to see soon how that plays out.
This kind of distracts from the fact that you heavily shit on goaltending all offseason and had a bunch of posts yearning the loss of Campbell.

Reactions: Sypher04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad