Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk will be signing a 2-3 year deal with NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Can live with two, not a big fan of 3.

The move would essentially mark the end of Zucc’s Rangers career and you have to think the focus is on the defense.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If Kovy isn't being brought in, it won't be with idea of legitimately competing for the cup. He isn't the answer to any of our problems. He's an asset that we can maybe turn into other assets that will actually help us long term.
Is any single player an answer, in a general sense? Look at McDavid in Edmonton.

Assuming the term and cap are reasonable, I don't see a downside to this. The Rangers add a good player without trading assets for him. It also adds another Russian to the roster, one who has been teammates with 3 of our players/prospects to boot.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
This move doesn't end Zucc's career here. Give me a break. Expect Rangers to deal Spooner, Namestnikov at the draft to move up some slots. Desharnais and McLeod are gone. Beleskey to the minors. Maybe Staal gets dealt. He had a good year. That will give them enough money to sign Tavares if he has interest coming here. You need to have several good vets during a rebuild. If you don't, you end up a crap team like the Oilers despite having a generational talent.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
I've said it before. This is not gonna be a rebuild like the oiler Sabres and coyotes. Its gonna be much more like the Bruins rebuild in 2006 when they moved out veterans got younger and signed key fa alla chara. Not saying the koby will be a franchise altering signing like chara was but he will come in and be the veteran voice for the young eastern Europeans like buch name and Cyril.

For those expecting a tanking rebuild you'll be pissed cause this was never gonna be that. Veterans will be traded younger guys brought in. And I wouldn't be shocked if zucc is traded and the return is more weighted in the prospect that comes back then the pick

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I could care less if it's 2 or 3 years at $6m. If you believe they are going the rebuild route, and I do, they realistically will not be competitive for another 3-4 years at the minimum and I'd rather see the young players develop under a star like Kovy rather than random vets like McLeod, Desharnais, Carey, Holland etc. I also don't want to see young players in the lineup if they're not ready and rather have them develop and dominate in other leagues first. We also have no idea who's in the plans for the future roster, Vladdy, Spooner, Zucc, and even losing 1 of these guys plus the other expiring contracts, they need NHL talent in the top six. And lastly, if this helps entice some KHL talent to cross over, or help bring in/along current prospects, then it's another reason why in a rebuild you'd still make a move like this. I really don't see any negatives to a move like this even in true rebuild mode.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We just added two really good players with our firsts last year, we picked up a bunch of solid prospects at the deadline, and we're going to nab some more quality guys (maybe even a star) in this draft. We'll also hopefully find a couple UDFA players to help round it out. I'm not arguing that we're "done" with the rebuild, but we've already taken some big steps forward in replenishing the prospect pool. If they can flip another player or two and acquire even more young assets I'll feel pretty damn good about things. Then they can get to work on finding some veterans to play.

Signing Kovalchuk, to me, signifies that the team is pretty content with the "rebuilding" that they've done thus far. Yeah, they might flip Zuccarello or Spooner or someone, but there is no way next season is going to be one where we're a cellar dweller selling off every last valuable part. Gorton is going to continue this plan of getting younger and acquiring youthful assets while fielding a competitive team. We probably would have remained competitive this year had the injuries not piled up and had we not quick on our limp-dick coach. I truly believe the goal next year will be to compete for a WC spot, and in two years to compete for a division title. That's how I perceive what Gorton is doing.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
We just added two really good players with our firsts last year, we picked up a bunch of solid prospects at the deadline, and we're going to nab some more quality guys (maybe even a star) in this draft. We'll also hopefully find a couple UDFA players to help round it out. I'm not arguing that we're "done" with the rebuild, but we've already taken some big steps forward in replenishing the prospect pool. If they can flip another player or two and acquire even more young assets I'll feel pretty damn good about things. Then they can get to work on finding some veterans to play.

Signing Kovalchuk, to me, signifies that the team is pretty content with the "rebuilding" that they've done thus far. Yeah, they might flip Zuccarello or Spooner or someone, but there is no way next season is going to be one where we're a cellar dweller selling off every last valuable part. Gorton is going to continue this plan of getting younger and acquiring youthful assets while fielding a competitive team. We probably would have remained competitive this year had the injuries not piled up and had we not quick on our limp-dick coach. I truly believe the goal next year will be to compete for a WC spot, and in two years to compete for a division title. That's how I perceive what Gorton is doing.
So another quick fix rebuild it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad