Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk signing with NYR

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If one is more realistic and understands that Kovalchuk would help mentor the 3 or 4 young Russians in the NYR's system while also providing scoring punch, to a team in a tear it down rebuild, this makes a lot of sense
Ding Ding

Helps those guys develop, while the D is fixed.

Moon Knight

Aug 15, 2012
I will wait until Bobby Mack or Elliott Freidman reports it.

I guess the NYR aren't rebuilding
It doesn't mean NYR aren't rebuilding. Multiple posters have already said this but signing Kovalchuk lets the Rangers trade Zuccarello and/or some other wingers for some more youth and picks without icing an absolutely abysmal team next season.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Makes moving Zucc for younger assets more than likely a sure thing. Smart move. Also likely means Spooner can be moved for more of the above.
Exactly. This is in line with rebuilding so long as they use him as a free asset that allows them to move other guys. They’re never going to run out a completely useless and uncompetitive team. Replacing Zucc and spooner for example with Kovalchuck is probabaly a downgrade but not a huge one. Can get decent returns for Zucc and Spooner and add more kids

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I will wait until Bobby Mack or Elliott Freidman reports it.

I guess the NYR aren't rebuilding
For the reasons mentioned already, this seems like a solid move.
They likely trade Zucc. and maybe other players. They have to field a team. They have to have some veterans guys.
Why not one who makes sense for mentoring the Russian players?
I kind of don't like the way he left the NHL and I see him as a primadonna but he can still play at a lelevated level and he would be a good mentor for the Russian kids. It would also ensure Zucc's departure which should happen.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
The Rangers don't have a 1C, they just gave up on their 1D and their best player, Lundqvist, has his best years behind him.

Kovy isn't winning anything soon in New York. I guess all that talk about joining the triple gold club was bunch of bs.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Dozzi92

Aug 22, 2012
Somerville, NJ
You pickup Kovalchuk now for a little extra over Zucc's salary and trade Zucc at the deadline (potentially bundled with a Spooner and pick) to move up in the draft, and the move is already paying dividends, not even taking into account the sway a guy like Kovalchuk has on some of the "unsure" assets in Russia.

And you sign him for three in the hopes he makes your team competitive, but if in that third year you're not you can absolutely trade him at the deadline, because I don't think anyone here disagrees that he will produce. Obviously not to the level he did before he left, but will still be top two lines on any team, as others have said.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Makes more sense for the Rangers to sign Kovalchuk than for Kovalchuk to sign with the Rangers.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If this is true I hate it for NYR. I love their boldness this season but this only hurts the rebuild. I think they should give it 2 more years.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The Rangers don't have a 1C, they just gave up on their 1D and their best player, Lundqvist, has his best years behind him.

Kovy isn't winning anything soon in New York. I guess all that talk about joining the triple gold club was bunch of bs.
IMO people greatly exaggerate and romanticize how much players care about winning in relation to family, lifestyle, and financial security.

I mean Captain Intangibles himself has, what, the highest cap hit in the league right now?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If this is true I hate it for NYR. I love their boldness this season but this only hurts the rebuild. I think they should give it 2 more years.
This helps the rebuild. Add a servicable scoring winger for free and move a scoring winger you have for more assets

Reactions: Dr Quincy

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If they sign Tavares then yea this move makes more sense. If they sign Tavares, trade for Karlsson and then sign Kovalchuck that would be a crazy offseason. I guess if anybody could or would do it, its the Rangers.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
This helps the rebuild. Add a servicable scoring winger for free and move a scoring winger you have for more assets

I would have dealt Zucc either way, Kovalchuk or no Kovalchuk. Suffer for 1 or 2 years, get some lottery picks and take some risks with your 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If they sign Tavares then yea this move makes more sense. If they sign Tavares, trade for Karlsson and then sign Kovalchuck that would be a crazy offseason. I guess if anybody could or would do it, its the Rangers.
I really don't think the Rangers are going for Tavares

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

And when that short window bombs, Rangers can go back to talking about cap problems, prospects problems, and future problems.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Very strange decision to say the least.

Doubt money is an issue for Kovalchuk. The Rangers are far from being a contender, what’s the point then ?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Kovy can’t sign, nor technically talk to other teams for another 3 months.

He’s still NJD property.

Unless NJD gave their rival permission

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It's a short term UFA signing, for a team that needs scoring. It isn't the money that I would be concerned, it whether if Kovi is still NHL good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->