Confirmed with Link: Ilya Kovalchuk Announces Retirement from NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetlebum*

Theory

Not sure how many of you remember this, but when Kovy's contract went to arbitration Brian Burke testified against it. Now that Vanderbeek is on his way out, is it possible that Lou wanted Kovy gone?

There were rumblings that Burke testified on behalf of Lou in an effort to torpedo the deal.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
in Memory of one of my favorite Adam Sandler Kovy basically just said "The price is wrong *****" Reid Boucher come on down

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
New CBA includes a cap recapture penalty for contracts like Kovalchuk's. Don't worry, it's a minuscule penalty.

But I mean what's the logic there? What could the Devils possibly do to stop a personal life decision by a player? Miniscule or no, just doesn't seem to make much sense.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
We gave up Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier, 2nd, 3rd (penalty) and 2 1sts (i think, one from trade one from penalty) for Kovy, 2nd (jon Merrill), and Salmela

all this for 3 seasons.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 4m

He wants to play in Russia. Tired of playing escrow too. RT @ZTron99: @TGfireandice what's your honest thought about why Kovy retired?

DevilChuk*

We gave up Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier, 2nd, 3rd (penalty) and 2 1sts (i think, one from trade one from penalty) for Kovy, 2nd (jon Merrill), and Salmela

This doesn't seem that bad.

It's once you start thinking of the alternate reality... what would have been if Kovy was never acquired in the first place. Would Parise still be here..? Some other stud? Instead.. we have no-one.

VO5

Jul 2, 2006
Leafs Nation
We did so much to accommodate him

$77 million on the table, losing four draft picks and three players, law suits, two new coaches, $3M in fines, lost Parise....

....and he wants to GO HOME?

Just goes to show you that Russians and the NHL are a slippery slope...

in all sincerity, All the best Devils fans, no fan base deserves this type of news.

IMHO Lou will get the ship back on course and overcome this.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
But I mean what's the logic there? What could the Devils possibly do to stop a personal life decision by a player? Miniscule or no, just doesn't seem to make much sense.
It was designed so that players couldn't use retirement as a cap circumvention tool. Granted, this isn't exactly what they all had in mind.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Honest to god, this is one of the strangest things I've seen in sports history. What compares to this? Barry Sanders? He didn't retire and go play for another league though. This is just so bizarre.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
Tinfoil-head.jpg

And here come the conspiracy theories.

DevilChuk*

Ugh.. I can't help but feel that last year's ECF was the last great moment we'll have for awhile.

I want to just pretend Lou will figure it all out but it's next to impossible to replace a Kovalchuk..

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Tg needs to speak with Elias.

He has always spoken his mind about the merc

Good call

Other random thought: How many millions did Jay Grossman lose today? He ain't getting a cut of the Russian deal cause Kovy has a Russian agent...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->