GDT: IIHF World Championships Thread

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Does anyone know if he's even gonna come to camp this season? I think if he comes to camp, he's coming to battle Korpi for backup at the very least.
Jarmo needs to buy out Elvis as soon as the tourney is over, and get him to North America. The contract negation between Bob, and the Cbj is not going to go well, in my opinion, based on how Jarmo does business. Jarmo is going to come to the table with your playoff stats are among the worst of all active goalies, Bob and his side are going to come with (have you seen my awards in the regular season). Bob is already the second highest paid goalie in the league, and there are quite a few goalies in the league that have cups under their resume, and make half of what Bob makes. If I'm Jarmo, I'm planning ahead.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I can feel my temperature rising. Time for Elvis to find a new place to dwell. It's now or never. One one hand, only fools rush in, but Bob and the CBJ can't go on together. Jarmo can do anything that he wants to do.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Does anyone know if he's even gonna come to camp this season? I think if he comes to camp, he's coming to battle Korpi for backup at the very least.
You don't read prospect thread right? Maybe we need separate Elvis thread? :)

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Elvis gets Sweden tomorrow, pretty good test to see if he can carry his squad past a really good team since he'll be doing the same thing when he gets here
Will get a taste of Hornqvist in front of his net, but with crease violation rule that battle will be easier :)

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I can feel my temperature rising. Time for Elvis to find a new place to dwell. It's now or never. One one hand, only fools rush in, but Bob and the CBJ can't go on together. Jarmo can do anything that he wants to do.
New phone who dis.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Jarmo needs to buy out Elvis as soon as the tourney is over, and get him to North America. The contract negation between Bob, and the Cbj is not going to go well, in my opinion, based on how Jarmo does business. Jarmo is going to come to the table with your playoff stats are among the worst of all active goalies, Bob and his side are going to come with (have you seen my awards in the regular season). Bob is already the second highest paid goalie in the league, and there are quite a few goalies in the league that have cups under their resume, and make half of what Bob makes. If I'm Jarmo, I'm planning ahead.

Can NHL teams really just buy out the contracts of players signed by another league/franchise pretty easily? Plus, wouldn't HC Lugano have to agree to it as well? I've only started closely following hockey since 2011, but I don't recall seeing it happen just yet. Merzlikins doesn't even have an NHL opt out clause in his contract.

I can think of one team that would love to buy out a contract right now... Minnesota Wild and Kirill Kaprizov. 42 points in 49 KHL games as a 19 year old and then signs a 3 year KHL contract that won't end until April 2020. Just posted 40 points in 46 KHL games as a 20 year old with 10 points in the playoffs. In the Olympics he had 9 points in 6 games, WC so far he has 8 points.. Plus, wouldn't teams be more interested in buying out the contracts of players that are playing extremely well overseas at the moment, like Elias Petersson of Vancouver.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Currently there isn't a transfer agreement between the NHL and the NLA. Lugano seems to be counting on Elvis coming back. For them to terminate his contract, they may want a large sum to be able to bring in a similar level goalie.

When Dean Kukan signed with the Jackets, the Luleå GM was pissed off since he had a valid contract and was playing in the AHL (so the NHL out clause didn't apply) but Kukan had decided he didn't want to play for them and what was Luleå to do - force him on a plane and back to Sweden? So if Elvis wants out and doesn't want to play for Lugano...?

But Elvis seems to have committed to Lugano and probably doesn't want to play in the AHL.

With goalies, I can't see Euro teams letting a player come to an NHL camp and see if he makes the team then going back to Europe instead of the AHL. Teams want to have their goaltending locked up during the summer. But with Korpi under contract, there's no way Elvis comes to camp with a guaranteed spot. He might end up #3 and in Cleveland.

Jarmo seems to understand how badly European teams are impacted by losing young players they developed to the NHL. Maybe some sort of trade-off, CBJ gets Elvis, sum of money to buy out his contract and they help convince an NHL goalie without a contract to go to Lugano like Jeff Zatkoff.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
As far as info goes over here, he is set to stay his final year from current contract in Lugano.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
FWIW, Atkinson said he is considering changing numbers in the NHL from 13 to 89

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Currently there isn't a transfer agreement between the NHL and the NLA. Lugano seems to be counting on Elvis coming back. For them to terminate his contract, they may want a large sum to be able to bring in a similar level goalie.

When Dean Kukan signed with the Jackets, the Luleå GM was pissed off since he had a valid contract and was playing in the AHL (so the NHL out clause didn't apply) but Kukan had decided he didn't want to play for them and what was Luleå to do - force him on a plane and back to Sweden? So if Elvis wants out and doesn't want to play for Lugano...?

But Elvis seems to have committed to Lugano and probably doesn't want to play in the AHL.

With goalies, I can't see Euro teams letting a player come to an NHL camp and see if he makes the team then going back to Europe instead of the AHL. Teams want to have their goaltending locked up during the summer. But with Korpi under contract, there's no way Elvis comes to camp with a guaranteed spot. He might end up #3 and in Cleveland.

Jarmo seems to understand how badly European teams are impacted by losing young players they developed to the NHL. Maybe some sort of trade-off, CBJ gets Elvis, sum of money to buy out his contract and they help convince an NHL goalie without a contract to go to Lugano like Jeff Zatkoff.
We have the perfect goalie to sens them in place of Elvis,

Fellow Latavian goalie matiss kivlenieks :cool:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Gavrikov is getting taste of McDavid right now. "How in hell you defend that?" Also watching Murr trying to steal a puck from Datsyuk was hilarious. :D poor thing.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Gavrikov is getting taste of McDavid right now. "How in hell you defend that?" Also watching Murr trying to steal a puck from Datsyuk was hilarious. :D poor thing.

Did he do any worse than most of the NHL?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010

He gets a good paycheck there, too (much more than if he'd play in the AHL). Add low taxes and Lugano isn't the worst place to live also. But there is no question that he could be a NHL-goalie, probably also a starter after some time. He has all the tools you need to get there.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
He had a rough start, in the first game he looked very shaky and made a mistake that costed the team one point. But after that he got better and better and I really don't see a reason why he couldn't be a solid #6-guy for you. He has it all, very calm, good skater, hard to beat on the boards, he also has an offensive upside. His main weakness might be that he needs a few games to get the rythm and adjust to the level of play. And sometimes you don't get these games in the NHL.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->