GDT: IIHF World Championships Thread

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Well if he's indeed aiming for 4,5Sx4 like Portz is saying then yeah, despite all my love for the guy personality this is too much.
JJ departure is a given.
For the most part I agree. But curious - would you and fellow posters take Cole over Savard? Or asked another way, would you consider signing Cole for the purpose of trading Savard which would provide an asset return on similar dollars?

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
That's why I think we let Cole and JJ walk.

Kukan, Harrington and Carlsson can battle it out for 6 and 7 dman.

I don't think letting Cole walk in favor of these three is wise. You can never have too many NHL-level defensemen....especially with Werenski's recovery timeline. Carlsson may need another season in the AHL to develop. Harrington is not good. Kukan is a great #6-7 at this point in time.

What would you feel more comfortable rolling out as a top-6 if Werenski can't start the season on time?

Nutivaara-Jones | Cole-Savard | Murray-Kukan/Harrington/Carlsson

Or

Nutivaara-Jones | Kukan-Savard | Murray-Carlsson/Harrington

Pretty easy answer, tbh.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
For the most part I agree. But curious - would you and fellow posters take Cole over Savard? Or asked another way, would you consider signing Cole for the purpose of trading Savard which would provide an asset return on similar dollars?
Yes. Yes. And then i would throw someone at Cole to babysit, Collins or Peeke? Or can Cole play on wrong side with Kuks?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't think letting Cole walk in favor of these three is wise. You can never have too many NHL-level defensemen....especially with Werenski's recovery timeline. Carlsson may need another season in the AHL to develop. Harrington is not good. Kukan is a great #6-7 at this point in time.

What would you feel more comfortable rolling out as a top-6 if Werenski can't start the season on time?

Nutivaara-Jones | Cole-Savard | Murray-Kukan/Harrington/Carlsson

Or

Nutivaara-Jones | Kukan-Savard | Murray-Carlsson/Harrington

Pretty easy answer, tbh.
That's a big if and obviously that's an easy answer, but it's not just this year. You have to think for the next 3 seasons looking ahead for next off-season to re-sign Bob, Zach and Panarin.

The team will be fine without Zach for 10 games or so.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
That's a big if and obviously that's an easy answer, but it's not just this year. You have to think for the next 3 seasons looking ahead for next off-season to re-sign Bob, Zach and Panarin.

The team will be fine without Zach for 10 games or so.
Then keep Savard for this season and then trade him next, when(if) Gavrikov is coming over. But how are they gonna talk? :D

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Look at that wrister from Kuks. Wow!

Kukan, as I mentioned looks like a clone of Nutivaara. Both have really high ceilings. You may remember when I floated moving Werenski for a number 1 elite center. We are loaded at defense, especially ones that can put the puck in the net.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Kukan, as I mentioned looks like a clone of Nutivaara. Both have really high ceilings. You may remember when I floated moving Werenski for a number 1 elite center. We are loaded at defense, especially ones that can put the puck in the net.
Both are also doing at ages 23 and 24 what Werenski was doing at age 19. There's an important difference there. (And that's before we go into the point that Werenski was doing it more often and better.)

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I like the fire but he'll need to reign that in if he ever comes over.
In some sense perhaps yes, but I have seen every Latvian game in this tournament, and other Merzlikins Latvian games and for what it`s worth, I have never ever seen him being ''poisinous'' with his passion. He appears to be a very team oriented guy and is a big reason why our team has made it to the 1/4 finals despite on paper us being one of the weakest teams we have had in the past years. His passion is way more contagious than poisinous

And, after the group tournament:
DdTfbZzXUAA5FdP.jpg

Btw, USA GM (who I understand is from your AHL team) spoke very highly about Kivlenieks, too. Kivlenieks haven`t had a shot in this tournament but he is behind 2 more experienced goalies, his time will come.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Elvis gets Sweden tomorrow, pretty good test to see if he can carry his squad past a really good team since he'll be doing the same thing when he gets here
Does anyone know if he's even gonna come to camp this season? I think if he comes to camp, he's coming to battle Korpi for backup at the very least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad