OT: IIHF World Championship

NyquistIsMyGod*

Main reason why he should be on the top line

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I think Abdelkader plays well with Zetterberg and Dats based on his ability to win races, win board battles, get it back smoothly (to them), and go to the net. The issue, the biggest issue, why I want Alfredsson/Jurco there, is because Abby's finish is so poor. It's awful. He gets so many chances, but can't bury whatsoever. Abby gets grade A chances. It's frustrating to watch.

Since I've been on HF, I'm not sure if anyone's backed up Abdelkader as much as me. I think he has another level, but that finish needs to develop. It may not though.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Lmao Canada lost to France. Only caught the 3rd period, OT, SO. It was ugly to watch. Pretty young group for Canada, only reason I can think of to excuse the loss. Credit to France, though. They looked very hungry.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I think Abdelkader plays well with Zetterberg and Dats based on his ability to win races, win board battles, get it back smoothly (to them), and go to the net. The issue, the biggest issue, why I want Alfredsson/Jurco there, is because Abby's finish is so poor. It's awful. He gets so many chances, but can't bury whatsoever. Abby gets grade A chances. It's frustrating to watch.

Since I've been on HF, I'm not sure if anyone's backed up Abdelkader as much as me. I think he has another level, but that finish needs to develop. It may not though.

Abdelkader literally had one nice 2-3 week stretch with Zetterberg and Nyquist where he looked like a top 6 grinder. That's it. I strongly disagree with the notion that he's good at getting them the puck back. He'll go to the net and play the body, indeed. But so will most other bottom 6 grinders. He's gotten better along the boards, but his problem is lack of vision and IQ once he gets the puck. He plays with his head down so Datsyuk almost never gets the puck back when Abby has it on the cycle. This is part (just part) of what separated Holmstrom from Abdelkader. Homer had top 6 vision and was brilliant at quickly finding Datsyuk or Z after he won a puck battle. Abdelkader doesn't have this ability. So what's the point of winning a board battle when it just results in a turnover anyway?

Additionally, Abdelkader is lost with the puck in the neutral zone. He doesn't have the patience, vision, or IQ to wait for his linemates to come with speed (Alfredsson is really good at this when he's playing with skilled players.) Therefore Abby just ends up chipping it in himself and trying a one man forecheck which results in nothing. Datsyuk typically plays really deep, even for a center, so a winger that can allow him to get back into the play with speed is a huge asset. Abby can't.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

I've accepted Abdelkader for what he is - a hard working big body who can skate and hit.....and has hands of stone. Everyone moaning about it won't change it. Comparing his vision and hockey IQ to Alfie is pointless - if he had Alfie's hands and IQ he'd be an elite power forward.

But he doesn't. So he's not. I don't mind him with Datsyuk and another skilled player (Alfie, Z) because of the things he can do that they can't, but I am hoping Jurco can make that step next season, because he is big body who can skate and grind....and has a set of hands to boot.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If they're bad together, I feel less anger about the trade but I am sad that Nyquist would be performing badly. If they're good together, I enjoy that Nyquist is performing well but it brings up those old wounds about the Hook.

Great.
Didn't they do pretty well together in GR at the start of the season?

Sweden doesn't really have much of a team though, Nyquist and Backlund are the biggest "stars", defense and goaltending are both quite iffy.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Sweden doesn't really have much of a team though, Nyquist and Backlund are the biggest "stars", defense and goaltending are both quite iffy.

what's wrong with joacim eriksson? dominated the elitserien for two years, had a good rookie year in the AHL. he's a great young goalie.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
what's wrong with joacim eriksson? dominated the elitserien for two years, had a good rookie year in the AHL. he's a great young goalie.
Nothing wrong necessarily but he's inexperienced and didn't look so great in the games leading up to the tournament. I think they can still get Lundqvist if the Rangers are eliminated which is probably this team's best hope of getting a medal.

DatsyukianDeke*

Abdelkader literally had one nice 2-3 week stretch with Zetterberg and Nyquist where he looked like a top 6 grinder. That's it. I strongly disagree with the notion that he's good at getting them the puck back. He'll go to the net and play the body, indeed. But so will most other bottom 6 grinders. He's gotten better along the boards, but his problem is lack of vision and IQ once he gets the puck. He plays with his head down so Datsyuk almost never gets the puck back when Abby has it on the cycle. This is part (just part) of what separated Holmstrom from Abdelkader. Homer had top 6 vision and was brilliant at quickly finding Datsyuk or Z after he won a puck battle. Abdelkader doesn't have this ability. So what's the point of winning a board battle when it just results in a turnover anyway?

Additionally, Abdelkader is lost with the puck in the neutral zone. He doesn't have the patience, vision, or IQ to wait for his linemates to come with speed (Alfredsson is really good at this when he's playing with skilled players.) Therefore Abby just ends up chipping it in himself and trying a one man forecheck which results in nothing. Datsyuk typically plays really deep, even for a center, so a winger that can allow him to get back into the play with speed is a huge asset. Abby can't.

100% agreed. Abby is not good enough to play top 6. He isn't Holmstrom so we need to stop acting like he is.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
It seems a lot of European NHL players are following suit with the North American guys who routinely skip the World Championships.

It's surprising to see how young and inexperienced almost every team is this year.

TeemuS

Feb 13, 2013
at least that is good of that WC, that young players got exp. I don't really get why WC need to be played every damn year. It should be like football every 4 or at least 2.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
at least that is good of that WC, that young players got exp. I don't really get why WC need to be played every damn year. It should be like football every 4 or at least 2.

Money to support the underdivisions and it's a cash cow for the hosting federation that allows further hockey development. As long as the wide interest is there it will stay that way.

When the 2014 World Championship faces off today, fans in 115 territories will be able to follow the event on TV – complemented by online coverage globally.
In 2013, the event had achieved an all-time high cumulative television audience of 975.15 million.

http://www.iihfworlds2014.com/en/news/hockey-reaches-out-to-world/

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Jarnkrok is really unimpressive so far. Looks too weak on the puck. Guessing there will still be an outrage around here if he manages to score a goal though.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Thanks Mod for putting this here. I didn't even realize this thread existed.

Didn't know where to post this, so i'm just gonna put it here.

Tomas Tatar falling off bench during team photo for Slovakia.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/5/14/5716390/tomas-tatar-fall-bench-slovakia

tatar-fall_medium.gif

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Why would they make them wear their skates while standing on the bench? He could have been seriously injured.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad