GDT: IIHF WHC: Time to close thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Jeez, Finland may have many no-name players, but they play a great system.

Edit: and score on their shots (maybe has a bit to do with the GKs of Can...)

Reactions: CycloneSweep

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Barzal is a douchebag.

Hit a guy in the back of the head while he's trying to pick up his stick, which you just kicked away, and then hide on the bench. I have no clue why Savinainen got 2 mins there...

Last edited:
Reactions: Summary and PulYou

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I'd take Barzal, thank you.
If it would be anyone else ?... I realise that it is sensitive, but still.
Did you see the end of the game?
I have not seen that kind of un-provoced BS in a while. Kick and hit another player in the back. And I have little problem with violence in hockey, but that is ******* behaviour

So no, I wouldn't take him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Summary

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If it would be anyone else ?... I realise that it is sensitive, but still.
Did you see the end of the game?
I have not seen that kind of un-provoced BS in a while. Kick and hit another player in the back. And I have little problem with violence in hockey.
So no, I wouldn't take him.
What I saw that game was Finland players going down easy to draw penalties, Happy barzal did that.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
What I saw that game was Finland players going down easy to draw penalties, Happy barzal did that.

Wtf?
Happy to see Barzal hit a guy in the back (in the head by way)? And then jump onto the bench.

:thumbu:

I honestly have nothing against a cheapshot once in a while, but stay on the ice and take the heat. The Finnish guy turned around to respond but there was no one there.... After that kind of hit you need to at least stay and take the heat if you just gave some.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Most CHL goalies get absolutely lit up. Probably hard to develop goalies properly in a super high scoring league.

I think the big problem is how many games they play. Goalies get no time to actually work on their game. If I were a young canadian goalie I'd probably go the college route. CHL seems like a pretty terrible place to develop as a goalie.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I think the big problem is how many games they play. Goalies get no time to actually work on their game. If I were a young canadian goalie I'd probably go the college route. CHL seems like a pretty terrible place to develop as a goalie.
Agree with you, more time to practice, work out and stuff, and more time to rest.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
No PK. Anemic PP. Every chance ending up in the back of the net. McDavid the only one creating offence....

Are we sure the Oilers season ended?

One starts to wonder how much we want to blame McLellan for last season.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Since there wasn't a new GDT, Larsson had another goal today and the Swedish announcers were drooling over him. He's been arguably the best Swedish defenceman, and that's on a defence that includes OEL, H. Lindholm and Klingberg. Interestingly the Swedish coach was on after the game and he was talking about how he knows Adam is known for his defence in Edmonton but that he's got a lot of untapped offense and they want to bring that out.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Wtf?
Happy to see Barzal hit a guy in the back (in the head by way)? And then jump onto the bench.

:thumbu:

I honestly have nothing against a cheapshot once in a while, but stay on the ice and take the heat. The Finnish guy turned around to respond but there was no one there.... After that kind of hit you need to at least stay and take the heat if you just gave some.

I'm a big Barzal and Ekblad fan, but the things they apparently did this game are inexcusable to me. Idk why that's a controversial statement to make. I love Malkin too but he's also done some chicken shit too. Crosby had a period too where he was starting shit and running away. Don't have to like everything a player you like does.

Reactions: LaGu

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'm a big Barzal and Ekblad fan, but the things they apparently did this game are inexcusable to me. Idk why that's a controversial statement to make. I love Malkin too but he's also done some chicken **** too. Crosby had a period too where he was starting **** and running away. Don't have to like everything a player you like does.
All ekblad did was call out the fins for diving and playing like cowards, how is that inexcusable?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Since there wasn't a new GDT, Larsson had another goal today and the Swedish announcers were drooling over him. He's been arguably the best Swedish defenceman, and that's on a defence that includes OEL, H. Lindholm and Klingberg. Interestingly the Swedish coach was on after the game and he was talking about how he knows Adam is known for his defence in Edmonton but that he's got a lot of untapped offense and they want to bring that out.

Our coaching staff is too busy not line matching and running a flaming turd of a PP and a popcorn fart of a PK to do anything like that.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
All ekblad did was call out the fins for diving and playing like cowards, how is that inexcusable?

I missed the game but people were saying he was slew footing and cross checking Finns in the back of the head.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I'm a big Barzal and Ekblad fan, but the things they apparently did this game are inexcusable to me. Idk why that's a controversial statement to make. I love Malkin too but he's also done some chicken **** too. Crosby had a period too where he was starting **** and running away. Don't have to like everything a player you like does.
Yeah, I had some time to cool off and of course these are things that happen. It bothered me at the time when it happened, but of course it is not a career defining moment for these players. It is pretty tough to play though years and years and not have a couple of questionable moments like this.

Reactions: Aerrol

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The main issue I have/had was with Barzal. Apart from the comments afterwards I think Ekblad just took away the stick of the Finnish player and put it behind Canada's bench.
Ekblad's comments were immature, but understandable in the frustration that was obviously there, but that is not the same as hit someone in the back and run away to the bench.

Anyway, water under the bridge. The Finnish team is an enigma though, dominating the first games, then lose to Denmark, beat Canada and later lose to Germany.... I have no idea what is going on there.

Reactions: PulYou and Aerrol

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006

Yeah, I had a relative who recently played goalie in the OHL (his colleagues agree with him) who regrets having gone to the CHL and wishes he had gone the American college route

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Good shot from Larsson on that goal, he should be shooting more often though, and not always try to find a deflection. He seems to be looking and basically aiming for someone's stick for too long many times. He should just rip it sometimes imo.
1 G 0 A 23:47 TOI
He was really good once more. Now the fun really begins though, with Russia on Tuesday and then the quarter finals. For me he is the MVP for team Sweden so far, but it will count for nothing if things turn south from here.

He is +10 so far over 6 GP, which leads all defensemen in WHC by a bit.

I just got tired of only having Adam Larsson posts in these GDTs (I thought about bumping his most recent player discussion thread instead), so I didn't start one for last night.

Reactions: mjlee

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Canada tied with Latvia 1-1 in the third period.

Have fun with Peters, Calgary!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad