WJC: IIHF Reportedly Chooses u20 Host Countries Up To 2032

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I get why they might pick Canada fairly frequently. I don't get why they need to book everything out to 2032 right now?

Maybe they don't get a lot of attention or profit elsewhere, but it can't be easy to ever get it by taking this approach?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Personally I'm a little disappointed there's only 6 hosts in the next 14 years, would have been nice to see Switzerland, Slovakia or someone like Denmark(if they can maintain their run in the top group).

None are a given, that's why they're never in the mix to host.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
None are a given, that's why they're never in the mix to host.
In the era of a 10 team top division Slovakia and Switzerland are locks to be in the top pool imo. It's entirely possible that their respective federations aren't interested in hosting but excluding them based on results wouldn't make sense.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Slovakia then in 2033. It will be perfect. Because when our ice hockey government started the new ice-hockey development program, they said, we should wait 15 years, till we see the real results.

Hockey fever will be in 2033 at his peak.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I think every other year in Canada is too much. I would be ok with once in three years. But then a chance that tournament would be moved to Canada if the original host would not be in the top division.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Honestly I just think that most European countries just don't care about junior hockey. In Germany where Football is king there are hardly ever big crowds at the football junior games. So if these tournaments are huge sellouts in Canada, why not?

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Soo..no Germany, Denmark, Switzerland..okay then. What about new locations too like Slovenia? or even Italy, France, Poland?

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
Wait, isn't the U20 tournament pretty popular in Sweden? From 2009 to 2032, they'll have only hosted the tournament twice. Once every 12 years seems a bit infrequent for that market, no? :laugh:

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Other than the fact that games would have 500 spectators tops, Italy, France, and Poland are never in elite division.

Those countries have hosted IIHF events like the World Championships, and hockey is still hockey so people will show up. You're also forgetting the travelling fans from Canada, Sweden etc.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Poland hosted the Division I A tournament twice in a row 2015 and 2016 in Kraków and Katowice respectively, the average attendances were 4,443 and 3,687.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
As far as I'm concerned Europe can host all of the U20 championships until they give them back to smaller centres in Canada that truly support and are the lifeblood of junior hockey.

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
If its always in NA like this then its essentially a NA tournament. Even if its not as profitable the IIHF should be doing this on a rotation system of the top hockey nations to have more credibility.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If its always in NA like this then its essentially a NA tournament. Even if its not as profitable the IIHF should be doing this on a rotation system of the top hockey nations to have more credibility.

Same can be said for the world championships.

But there is a catch with this. Nobody in north america cares about the world championships. And its pretty much the same with the world jrs in europe.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Ah yes, our Canadian plan to rig the WJC is working!

I mean, I would like to see the the Canadian market breathe a little. I particularly don't like the Canada-USA-Canada run. Perhaps two fewer tournaments in Canada would be better spacing, like putting 2021 and 2026 in Europe.
Yeah doesn't bode well for attendance in 25 and 26. Bit of a WJC gluttony there. Better rotation would be Canada every four years and other big hosts around every eight years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->