IIHF: No Russians in Turin 'stupid'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Maybee they should send in their amatuers like Canada and the States had to do before Nagano.

it would suck to see a team like Russia not compete, lots of talented players who should be there are going to miss out over a finacial dispute.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
exactly

learn to read people

you can't penalize a country at the Olympics for not signing a deal with the NHL

the NHL is not the IIHF

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
flames45us said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=135644

since Russia and NHL has no agreement by IIHF Transfer agreement

flames45us

Of course, reading the article it isn't clear who is (or may be) blocking Russian players from playing in Turin.

It's obviously not the IIHF - they think it's "stupid".

It could be the NHL. They would have reason - it gives them leverage to get the Russians to sign on to the IIHF agreement. And it really doesn't hurt the NHL, except in the PR department. But the article makes no mention of talks between the IIHF and NHL, only between IIHF and Russian federation.

It could be the Russian federation, but that doesn't make much sense - it is cutting off their nose to spite their face. Preventing Russian NHLers from playing in Turin puts some pressure on the IIHF, but very little on the NHL. I just can't see them sacrificing an Olympic Gold over the NHL/IIHL/Russia transfer agreement.

One new point mentioned - it seems that the Czechs, who had been holding out also, did sign the IIHF agreement.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
kdb209 said:
Of course, reading the article it isn't clear who is (or may be) blocking Russian players from playing in Turin.

It's obviously not the IIHF - they think it's "stupid".

It could be the NHL. They would have reason - it gives them leverage to get the Russians to sign on to the IIHF agreement. And it really doesn't hurt the NHL, except in the PR department. But the article makes no mention of talks between the IIHF and NHL, only between IIHF and Russian federation.

It could be the Russian federation, but that doesn't make much sense - it is cutting off their nose to spite their face. Preventing Russian NHLers from playing in Turin puts some pressure on the IIHF, but very little on the NHL. I just can't see them sacrificing an Olympic Gold over the NHL/IIHL/Russia transfer agreement.

One new point mentioned - it seems that the Czechs, who had been holding out also, did sign the IIHF agreement.

Nobody is blocking anybody. Some journalist asked a question "could this happen?", Fasel answered, TSN made a big deal out of it.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
My understanding is there was a seperate agreement letting Russians play in the Olympics.

I believe what they are refering to is that the NHL teams have the right to with hold players if they wish. They'd be crazy to do it, though, and I don't think they will. I think Russia will ice the very best team possivble and will be favored for a silver medal(Canada is the favorite for gold)

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
kdb209 said:
No, NHL has signed agreement with IIHF and can't prevent players from NHL (Russians or Eskimos) prevent to participate in Turin.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Kaizer said:
No, NHL has signed agreement with IIHF and can't prevent players from NHL (Russians or Eskimos) prevent to participate in Turin.

Okay, so what is the article about? RSL players? Most of the top players are in the NHL.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kaizer said:

Each NHL club reserves the right not to release any Russian player under contract to play in the Olympics.

espo*

it would be stupid,they should have their best team there regardless of any politics going on.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
<Mr Jiggyfly> said:
Each NHL club reserves the right not to release any Russian player under contract to play in the Olympics.

This depends on what the CBA agreement regarding Olympic participation says. Unless the NHL specifically got a clause put in that says as much, the NHLPA could almost certainly grieve the issue.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
thenextone said:
why is the NHL obligated to release russians from their contracts ?

Olympic participation was negociated by the NHL and NHLPA into the CBA. None of us have seen the CBA so there's no way to know if it says anything about countries needing a transfer agreement with the NHL before their players get released. But if no such clause exists in the CBA then the NHL can't do a thing about it.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
It's no wonder the IIHF is getting walked all over by the Russians, since they're kowtowing to them at every turn. Fasel and Co. need to grow a pair, and start standing up for themselves.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
SSJTOM said:
Maybee they should send in their amatuers like Canada and the States had to do before Nagano.

it would suck to see a team like Russia not compete, lots of talented players who should be there are going to miss out over a finacial dispute.

:huh: Canada stopped sending amatures like in the 60-s. 92 and 94 were 60% NHLers, 40% AHL or so.

Last edited:

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
cyclops said:
it would be stupid,they should have their best team there regardless of any politics going on.

The last time we had the best team was 96 WCup. After that - probably 70% -80% strength, specifically because of politics.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
PecaFan said:
It's no wonder the IIHF is getting walked all over by the Russians, since they're kowtowing to them at every turn. Fasel and Co. need to grow a pair, and start standing up for themselves.
Yeah, they should make their own tournament a farce, now that would really strengthen their position :shakehead

Oil_slick9416*

Den said:
:huh: Canada stopped sending amatuers like in the 60-s. 92 and 94 were 60% NHLers, 40% AHL or so.

um no???

we didn't send any professional NHLers until 1998... where did you get that from?

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Oil_slick9416 said:
um no???

we didn't send any professional NHLers until 1998... where did you get that from?

Well, I am looking at Canada's 92 roster and it says: Sean Burke, Trevor Kidd, J Woolley, A. Plavsic, J. Juneau, K. Manderville, D. Hannan, Eric Lindros, D. Tippet, Chris Lindberg... Not exactly creme de la creme, but still...

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Den said:
Well, I am looking at Canada's 92 roster and it says: Sean Burke, Trevor Kidd, J Woolley, A. Plavsic, J. Juneau, K. Manderville, D. Hannan, Eric Lindros, D. Tippet, Chris Lindberg... Not exactly creme de la creme, but still...

Yeah, but I don't think any of those guys had cracked the NHL yet at that point in time.

Chilly Willy*

roshiajin said:
exactly

learn to read people

you can't penalize a country at the Olympics for not signing a deal with the NHL

the NHL is not the IIHF

Whatever gets the deal done.

At least the NHL is actually playin with guts on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad