IIHF announces plans for Worlds and Olympics

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
The most interesting part is No.3 about the Olympics.

The International Ice Hockey Federation and representatives of the top 16 nations met today in Riga to discuss issues relating to the next two IIHF World Championships (2007 in Russia and 2008 in Canada) and the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, Canada.

The following decisions were made:

3) All teams have agreed to accept the North American-sized ice surface (26 metres x 60 metres) at GM Place in Vancouver in 2010. The main reason for making this exception is the opportunity to stay at this modern arena in downtown Vancouver (capacity 18,630, home of the NHL's Vancouver Canucks). Had the IIHF insisted on international dimensions (30 metres x 60 metres), the main ice hockey venue would have been the smaller and substantially older Pacific Coliseum.

http://live82.ihwc.net/english/article/news/index.ihwc?artId=2371

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Hmmm, sounds interesting. Most players will probably play in the NHL anyway but the players out side the top 6/7 nations might have some problems. Is there any country in Europe who have the smaller rinks?
Anyway, good thing they will play at the best arena aviable.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I don't like this break from tradition, especially with all the recent calls for the NHL to switch to bigger ice.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
That's strange, considering that at the time of the bid being awarded to Vancouver, VANOC claimed that GM Place could be converted to an Olympic sized rink. I guess they realized that was a dream that couldn't be fulfilled.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Not a good idea. Olympic rinks should stay as they are. Home ice should be a big enough advantage for Canada, no need for this kind of trickery.

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
Boucicaut said:
Not a good idea. Olympic rinks should stay as they are. Home ice should be a big enough advantage for Canada, no need for this kind of trickery.

Trickery? It said that all the teams agreed to it. If they hadn't all agreed on it, I'm sure they would have done something else.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Senator Stanley said:
Trickery or not, this plays into the strength of Canada. Wasn't the rink in Salt Lake also NHL size?

And Finland. And USA. And Switzerland.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Jazz said:
BTW - do you have an updated link - the one posted now points elsewhere.

I don't know where it is now but this is what it was about:

1. The teams agreed on the Olympic format of 12 teams (like this year)

2. The rankings after the 2008 WCH (Canada) will determine the top 8 countries who will directly qualify for the Olympic tournament. The reamaining 4 spots will be known in february 2009 after the pre-Olympic tournament ends.

3. Due to the long distances between cities in 2007 (Russia-St. Petersburgh, Moscow) and 2008 (Canada-don't know the two cities Halifax?) the quarterfinals will be played under the new system. There won't be crossing groups like it was 'til now (1F-4E, 1E-4F). The quaretrfinals will be played within the groups (1E-4E, 2E-3E) so that teams don't have to travel before the semifinals.

That's it.

I guess it's easier not to cross groups when the distances are so big and that's OK, but it won't be as interesting. But it's only for the next 2 WCHs. Where is the championship in 2009?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. The best team will win regardless of the size of the ice surface.

joe_shannon_1983*

Rabid Ranger said:
This is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. The best team will win regardless of the size of the ice surface.
Exactly.

I personally think the big-ice vs. small-ice argument is one of the most over-rated and over-hyped myths of hockey.

It is merely an excuse that European countries have used for years to explain why Canada has won so many tournaments in the past.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
joe_shannon_1983 said:
Exactly.

I personally think the big-ice vs. small-ice argument is one of the most over-rated and over-hyped myths of hockey.

It is merely an excuse that European countries have used for years to explain why Canada has won so many tournaments in the past.

As a Swede I think we are having a big advantage everytime we play Canada in the WCH, on small ice, Canada don't have as big advantage as we do on big ice because our players have more small ice experience, but often we in Sweden for example have 2-3 "depth players" who aren't as good on small ice.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
TORRUS said:
3. Due to the long distances between cities in 2007 (Russia-St. Petersburgh, Moscow) and 2008 (Canada-don't know the two cities Halifax?) the quarterfinals will be played under the new system. There won't be crossing groups like it was 'til now (1F-4E, 1E-4F). The quaretrfinals will be played within the groups (1E-4E, 2E-3E) so that teams don't have to travel before the semifinals.

I guess it's easier not to cross groups when the distances are so big and that's OK, but it won't be as interesting. But it's only for the next 2 WCHs. Where is the championship in 2009?

I think its great not to cross groups. For example this time Czech, Canada, US and the Finns would know that they are gooing to meat each other in the QF when they play the first game. Would defenitly turn up the atomsphere a notch.

Jazz

TORRUS said:

What about the QF winners?

Will it be E1/E4 vs E2/E3
or
E1/E4 vs F2/F3?

PS. Torrus, long time no see....

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Jazz said:
What about the QF winners?

Will it be E1/E4 vs E2/E3
or
E1/E4 vs F2/F3?

PS. Torrus, long time no see....

I think they will cross for the SF; so E1-E4 vs. F2-F3. They mentioned only the QF being from the same group.

My apologies Jazz, will be back soon. :)

JussiM

Feb 1, 2006
Finland
From the next year on there won't be ties anymore and a win gives you three points. That's what I heard in the radio today.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
tachyon said:
From the next year on there won't be ties anymore and a win gives you three points. That's what I heard in the radio today.
No ties? I'd think that implies a shootout, there's no way they'd do continuous OT for a first round game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad