IIHF announces NHL-European Victoria Cup

JDevils3

Jul 3, 2005
Long Beach, NY
Does anyone actually think this will lead to an actual Champions League(like football)? I would love to see the NHL season cut down to 64 games to allow for in season competions like this. Either way, I think this is a great start. :handclap:

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Does anyone actually think this will lead to an actual Champions League(like football)? I would love to see the NHL season cut down to 64 games to allow for in season competions like this. Either way, I think this is a great start. :handclap:

No it wont ever, unless NHL gets in deep economical dodo.

There is no way that they will sell out their main product, the best hockey league in the world.

The Champions League thingy will be between the best teams outside north america.

And the Victoria Cup will be a funky marketing exibition game between the non-na champs and some nhl team, most likely never the current stanley cup champs (because it would be a marketing disaster for the NHL of they, against all odds, lost it).

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
I must say I don't give a sh*t about Euroleagues and such but after this I am getting interested, I really want to see my team suit up against a NHL-team, even if they will probably get their ***** kicked badly.

Moose Lips

Aug 15, 2006
East Berlin
What you talking about ? Teams play for fans, own fans. I dream about watching Metallurg beating some NHL team in Magnitogorsk. If they play somewhere in
Europe for some "hockey fans" like swiss that won't be good. If some NHL team comes to Magnitogorsk, there will be total hockey madness and this is what we want. Next day 7700 people will be able to talk only in whisper.. Damn, I'm writting this and imagining how great it will be...

Hi Bob.

You will find if you read further into the discussion that I saw the validity of Den's point and agreed with it, mainly since it would not work on neutral ice for it to be a success in Europe.

My original point was that this competition does involve two Euro teams who would have advantages on top of home ice advantages and one NHL team that will never be able to have home ice, play by European rules etc. Do you understand that?

Read my last comment in reply to Den please.

Moose Lips

Aug 15, 2006
East Berlin

There is no way that they will sell out their main product, the best hockey league in the world.

The Champions League thingy will be between the best teams outside north america.

And the Victoria Cup will be a funky marketing exibition game between the non-na champs and some nhl team, most likely never the current stanley cup champs (because it would be a marketing disaster for the NHL of they, against all odds, lost it).

Agreed, that I couldn't see it working unless the financial aspects of it made sense for the NHL to pursue it. Sometime down the road if the gaps between NA and Euro pro leagues lessen and it makes financial sense it may happen, but that still is a long way off. This is a good start though that it brings these teams together for a small event and will further the goodwill and ties between the pro leagues.

I also couldn't see it being the SC champions either, perhaps the runner-up to the SC would work best.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Agreed, that I couldn't see it working unless the financial aspects of it made sense for the NHL to pursue it. Sometime down the road if the gaps between NA and Euro pro leagues lessen and it makes financial sense it may happen, but that still is a long way off. This is a good start though that it brings these teams together for a small event and will further the goodwill and ties between the pro leagues.

I also couldn't see it being the SC champions either, perhaps the runner-up to the SC would work best.

One has to remember that this isn't really that much about the sport of ice hockey.

Pro sports is a commercial product.

Kind of obvious if you look at NHL or RSL, SEL and other top leagues.

But IIHF has to be somewhat in the middle. Because the bulk of ice hockey isn't commercial, A good deal of the players even in the top euro leagues still has some kind of a day job, to varying degree of seriousness.

IIHF wants to advance the sport, NHL (and the other pro leagues) want to make more money, as they should, they are commercial entities, they have an obligation to their owners and investors, that's the whole idea behind a commercial entity.

To take a local example, since I know that one best.

The difference between NHL versus the US and Canadian federations, and as an extension the IIHF, and SEL, the Swedish federation and as an extension the IIHF. Is that SEL needs the national team and IIHF tournaments to keep hockey intresting in the eye of the common audience. The NHL doesn't.

The big hockey game of the year in sweden isn't the final game in the SEL playoffs, it's the WC (or olympic) final, or almost any game against Finland. Because it creates media attention, which reminds people of hockey, which have people pay for games.

In NA it's the SC finals.

This is why all the negotiations are between the IIHF (the international, including US and Canada, hockey federation) and NHL, the biggest commercial league.

Remember that IIHF is representing the national federations, not the national leagues or clubs. Most euro leagues and clubs play nice with IIHF, because they need the bulk (even if RSL is starting to change that), but they all want to have the same grip of their market as NHL has.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria

Was it a marketing disaster when CSKA 'Red Army' Moscow tied the Montreal Canadians?

If there is ever a time when European Champions League winner/runner-up could challenge the NHL Stanley Cup champions again (or even beat them), it would be a shame not to see them get their chance to prove they are the best club in the world.

Note: I know it was only a tie against the Canadians, but still, I imagine most fans at the time thought the NHL Champions should beat the best from Europe.

Last edited:

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Im assuming sinse the tournament is in Europe they will play IIHF rules?

:shakehead :shakehead

Well considering the IIHF is the GLOBAL sanctioning body of hockey (not the NHL like most North Americans think) it only makes sense. Just because the U.S. and Canada decide to make their own rules doesn't mean all forms of hockey around the world should follow them.

Though a tournament with only 3 teams seems hardly worth it in my opinion. Get rid of one of the Euro teams and just call it a series and make it home and home. Or ad a few teams and make it atleast 6 or 8 teams. Anything under 4 teams is not a tournament.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Well considering the IIHF is the GLOBAL sanctioning body of hockey (not the NHL like most North Americans think) it only makes sense. Just because the U.S. and Canada decide to make their own rules doesn't mean all forms of hockey around the world should follow them.

Though a tournament with only 3 teams seems hardly worth it in my opinion. Get rid of one of the Euro teams and just call it a series and make it home and home. Or ad a few teams and make it atleast 6 or 8 teams. Anything under 4 teams is not a tournament.

Please spare me the IIHF BS, The only reason IIHF rules are so different is because their stuck up euros who hate the way hockey was played in NA. Hell, the original world championship was "euro" only until 1920, and even then special euro medals were given out until 1991. IIHF caters to euros, and i don't see why NHL should even bother with their silly "exhibition".

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain*

What a ****ing dumbass idea. Have fun getting blown out European teams!

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
why call it the Victoria Cup?

isnt that a little pro-Canadian/British for a tournament that will feature mostly American and European teams?

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007

You do realize that ****** hockey country Poland tied the NHL all-stars 4-4, and Federov scored with 4 seconds left to tie it up, so it really could have been 4-3. I really don't see why you would think that an NHL team would blow out a top European team. You sir, are very biased in your opinions.

Muscle Bob

Aug 7, 2005
Russia
www.russianhockeyfans.com
WpgPens said:
My original point was that this competition does involve two Euro teams who would have advantages on top of home ice advantages and one NHL team that will never be able to have home ice, play by European rules etc. Do you understand that?
Sure, but what's the problem for NHL clubs ? I don't think that it will be team like Chicago etc, but some good team. If this team is really better than RSL team then even home advantage won't help.

jkrdevil said:
Big difference, then there were no Russian players in the NHL. Now the best European players are in the NHL.
In that time it was "Russians ? Ahaha, they can play hockey ? All best players are canadiens and they play in the NHL", now it is "Russians ? All best russians play in the NHL".
Best players doesn't mean best team.

Brett_Lebda said:
"I will eat my article if Russians win one game"
:sarcasm:

Zetterberg4Captain*

You do realize that ****** hockey country Poland tied the NHL all-stars 4-4, and Federov scored with 4 seconds left to tie it up, so it really could have been 4-3. I really don't see why you would think that an NHL team would blow out a top European team. You sir, are very biased in your opinions.

Ya and I'm sure the NHL All-Stars were giving 110%!:biglaugh:
My predictions: First Euro team gets blown out 10-0 and the second one only loses 8-1.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Ya and I'm sure the NHL All-Stars were giving 110%!:biglaugh:
My predictions: First Euro team gets blown out 10-0 and the second one only loses 8-1.

Ridiculous, during an entire season an european team would probably be outplayed like crazy. But one game, cash and glory on stakes, I'd bet there would be one hell of fight.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Other than the top 4 -6 teams in the NHL, all others can be beaten by at least 5 teams in the RSL and probably by 5 in SEL any time during the year on any arena with any refs. But the dreamy 10:0 scorelines are, of course, a very irresistable self-gratification.

Muscle Bob

Aug 7, 2005
Russia
www.russianhockeyfans.com
Den said:
Other than the top 4 -6 teams in the NHL, all others can be beaten by at least 5 teams in the RSL and probably by 5 in SEL any time during the year on any arena with any refs. But the dreamy 10:0 scorelines are, of course, a very irresistable self-gratification.
Uh ? I doubt that. I would name 3 from RSL - Metallurg, Ak Bars, Avangard that can beat not Top8 NHL teams on big rinks. I doubt that Russian teams will play good at NHL rinks, because they won't be able to show their skills. They will be made to dump puck to the zone and fight there (N.A. players are born for this style).
So, any refs, but big rinks, and teams like Florida, Washington, Chicago, Phoenix, etc, will have no chances with Top3 RSL teams, thats for sure.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
why call it the Victoria Cup?

isnt that a little pro-Canadian/British for a tournament that will feature mostly American and European teams?

The IIHF will formally recognize the Victoria Skating Rink as the birthplace of hockey. On March 3, 1875, the first true hockey game took place at that rink in Montreal.

A bit of formal brown-nosing for sure.

But even if most of the teams are european or american there are quite some canadian players in the game. Some of them quite good too.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
I didn't say they can win a play off series on the NA ice, but certainly the Big Three+Loko+Khimik+possibly next year's SKA+possibly next year's SU+possibly next year's Dynamo CAN BEAT any non 6 NA team. Will probably win a series on the Euro ice. I don't think there's anything superhuman about non-top NA teams which are usually of comparable quality with most RSL outside of their top line, and often have a 4-th line that would not make it in the RSL and is rather useless on the Euro ice for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad