Horvat/Reinhart

Barrie-Rielly
Ekblad-Matheson
Spregon- Giordano
Dumba-Pareyko

Last edited:

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Depends too much on who makes the NHL playoffs.
That roster sounds nice but not even half of it will be available, for whatever reasons.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Brenden Morrow - Daniel Brière - Dany Heatley
Jeff Friesen - Patrice Bergeron - Justin Williams
Ryan Smyth - Shawn Horcoff - Rob Niedermayer
Matt Cooke - Brendan Morrison - Glen Murray
Jean-Pierre Dumont

Jay Bouwmeester - Scott Niedermayer
Eric Brewer - Steve Staios
Nick Schultz - Derek Morris
Willie Mitchell

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Jean-Pierre Dumont

Willie Mitchell
Too young roster)

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Jean-Pierre Dumont

Willie Mitchell
Where Lombardi?)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
IIHF 2019 -Team Canada
Tyler+Seguin+Canada+v+Czech+Republic+2015+6FFpVaE4Cy7l.jpg

%D0%9A%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B0.jpg

GM Jim Neil

M.Jones or Murray

Benn Scheifele Seguin
Hall McDavid MacKinnon
Couture Tavares R Smith
Johansen Couturier Monahan
Marchessault /Marner/

Subban-Ellis
Hamilton-Brodie
Daughty-Mazzin
Pietrangelo-Burns

reserve list :

Allen,Reimer

Huberdeau-Kadri- Barzal
Drouin-Stamkos- Point
Marchand-Bergeron-Fabbri
Neal-Getzlaf-Gourde

Horvat/Reinhart

Barrie-Rielly
Ekblad-Matheson
Spregon- Giordano
Dumba-Pareyko

about 80% of the main list will be in the playoffs in the NHL when the games start

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Jean-Pierre Dumont

Willie Mitchell

what no Messier, Anderson or Coffey?

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Tournament starts in 10 may.
All players after 1 SC round will be available. + Many players after 2 round will be available too
So 8 teams out of 31 not available. And of those players available, about 50% decline the invitations.
So what's the point in discussing a roster or even lines when we have absolutely no information who could join?
You have players listed from:
Bruins, Lightning, Kings, Jets, Sharks, Predators, Islanders, Panthers, Stars, Avalanche, Oilers, Leafs, Ducks, Flames, Wild, Flyers...
I can guarantee you that those won't all be golfing come May.

Reactions: cg98

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Its impossible to talk about when the 18/19 season hasnt happened. Best time to discuss this is probably during the middle of next season when we have a much clearer picture of whos in, whos out, and who we can possibly select.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Would love to see another 2015 Prague like powerhouse. That tournament was an absolute joy to watch, I remember cracking open a beer outside, the beautiful weather and just knowing that Canada was going to cream any team it faced from puck drop, Canada was just significantly better than everyone it faced that year. Good times.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Would love to see another 2015 Prague like powerhouse. That tournament was an absolute joy to watch, I remember cracking open a beer outside, the beautiful weather and just knowing that Canada was going to cream any team it faced from puck drop, Canada was just significantly better than everyone it faced that year. Good times.
I think Prague-level roster in next year very possible)

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

God that was a great team, fun times.

Can you imagine that team going against this years winner? man, this years gold medal winning swedish side would get ripped to f***ing shreds by that team, they would have been toast by mid way second period.

Just goes to show how the level of teams/competition varies so much at this tournament.

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
God that was a great team, fun times.

Can you imagine that team going against this years winner? man, this years gold medal winning swedish side would get ripped to ****ing shreds by that team, they would have been toast by mid way second period.

Just goes to show how the level of teams/competition varies so much at this tournament.

As much as Hockey Canada was thrilled with putting an end to the 5 consecutive 1/4 final exit spin we were on, I'm not entirely convinced Hockey Canada wants a Prague Powerhouse type of team at this tournament every year. The fine folks at Hockey Canada very much buy in to the NHL philosophy of parity = profit.

2015 was just a happy confluence of events, just a 1 off.

Hockey Canada will do the absolute bare minimum to be competitive at this tournament to be in the medal hunt, and win the occasional GMG.

after 2 years of a 2nd. and 4th. place finish, perhaps next year Hockey Canada will bring in NHL #1 starting goaltenders and not AHLers or career backups. perhaps....but I'm not holding my breath.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
As much as Hockey Canada was thrilled with putting an end to the 5 consecutive 1/4 final exit spin we were on, I'm not entirely convinced Hockey Canada wants a Prague Powerhouse type of team at this tournament every year. The fine folks at Hockey Canada very much buy in to the NHL philosophy of parity = profit.

Hockey Canada will do the absolute bare minimum to be competitive at this tournament to be in the medal hunt, and win the occasional GMG.

after 2 years of a 2nd. and 4th. place finish, perhaps next year Hockey Canada will bring in NHL #1 starting goaltenders and not AHLers or career backups. perhaps....but I'm not holding my breath.
No question the goaltending was subpar this year, I mean 2 backups, really?

But I really don't know if this was Hockey Canadas fault or not, they very well may have asked better guys and they refused, you know how it goes for accepting invites to this tournament, Mc and kuemper may very well have been the best they could get this year, what can you do?

As for the rest of the roster it was not bad at all, on paper at least, they just mostly played like crap. I don't get it, their hustle and one on one battles for the puck all over the ice was just so damn weak it made you want to pull your hair out all tournament long and the defensive pairings and their play was so disjointed and pitiful, it is like they didn't care and forgot how to play hockey all of a sudden outside of Parayko.

As much as I would like to pin the blame on Hockey Canada management for this years fiasco this ones squarely on the players, TC management are not on the ice and the problem this year was the play on the ice, the roster aside from the goalies was good enough to win, certainly good enough not to go out like they did.

What a frustrating team this years version was, a total dud of an effort all around.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
No question the goaltending was subpar this year, I mean 2 backups, really?

But I really don't know if this was Hockey Canadas fault or not, they very well may have asked better guys and they refused, you know how it goes for accepting invites to this tournament, Mc and kuemper may very well have been the best they could get this year, what can you do?

As for the rest of the roster it was not bad at all, on paper at least, they just mostly played like crap. I don't get it, their hustle and one on one battles for the puck all over the ice was just so damn weak it made you want to pull your hair out all tournament long and the defensive pairings and their play was so disjointed and pitiful, it is like they didn't care and forgot how to play hockey all of a sudden outside of Parayko.

As much as I would like to pin the blame on Hockey Canada management for this years fiasco this ones squarely on the players, TC management are not on the ice and the problem this year was the play on the ice, the roster aside from the goalies was good enough to win, certainly good enough not to go out like they did.

What a frustrating team this years version was, a total dud of an effort all around.

yes, all true. but when you have 5 or 6 forwards on that team (and a few of them played well) but on the team ahead of a player like Huberdeau willing and sitting at home next to his phone, but no phone call came...means Hockey Canada wasn't trying very hard.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
yes, all true. but when you have 5 or 6 forwards on that team (and a few of them played well) but on the team ahead of a player like Huberdeau willing and sitting at home next to his phone, but no phone call came...means Hockey Canada wasn't trying very hard.
Yeah, Huberdeau not getting a call is for sure a head scratcher.

I don't get it, why wouldn't a guy like brodeur not have interest in him?

Makes no sense, I assume the guy is gunning for a future g.m role at the n.h.l level....................you would think he would want to ice the best team possible and get victories to prove his acumen for team constructing, you lessen your chances for that when you don't ice the best team possible.

Quite bizarre.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

True, but I think a lot of people over look/forget how powerful our 2016 team was too. Naturally it gets over shadowed by that 2015 beast but 2016 was pretty damn strong too. It wasn't as good looking a team on paper but the results on ice were nearly identical. In the playoffs it blew away Sweden 6-0, edged the US 4-3 and then shutout Finland 2-0.

Just a quick comparison of the final records of both teams.

2015 : 10 GP, 10 W, 0 OTW, 0 OTL, 0 L, 49 GF, 14 GA, +35 GD, 30 points, gold
2016 : 10 GP, 9 W, 0 OTW, 0 OTL, 1 L, 46 GF, 11 GA, +35 GD, 27 points, gold

Offensively speaking the 2016 team was just as potent and powerhouse like, they surrendered fewer goals on route to gold as well.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
True, but I think a lot of people over look/forget how powerful our 2016 team was too. Naturally it gets over shadowed by that 2015 beast but 2016 was pretty damn strong too. It wasn't as good looking a team on paper but the results on ice were nearly identical. In the playoffs it blew away Sweden 6-0, edged the US 4-3 and then shutout Finland 2-0.

Offensively speaking the 2016 team was just as potent and powerhouse like, they surrendered fewer goals on route to gold as well.
The 2015 team actually had 66 goals, not 49.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

The numbers aren't right.

2015 GF: 66, GA: 15
2016 GF: 46, GA: 11

The 2016 team played good hockey but it was a level below the 2015 team. The 2016 team had a convincing loss, needed to comeback to win the semi-final game by one goal and only won the gold medal game by two with one empty net goal. Both teams had good talent level and ended up playing above that level at times.

I don't think that Hockey Canada doesn't try other than when the money is big. We know that it didn't bother calling Weber early in his big contract when his insurance fees were high and in 2016 it didn't even bother asking Bergeron. I do think that Hockey Canada is not overly good at team construction sometimes. That's really the only explanation for things like Huberdeau in 2018. As for the 2019 team, it's useless to speculate now. We can pencil in O'Reilly and just wait to see who else is going.

Last edited:

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
The numbers aren't right.

2015 GF: 66, GA: 15
2016 GF: 46, GA: 11

The 2016 team played good hockey but it was a level below the 2015 team. The 2016 team had a convincing lost, needed to comeback to win the semi-final game by one goal and only won the gold medal game by two with one empty net goal. Both teams had good talent level and ended up playing above that level at times.

I don't think that Hockey Canada doesn't try other than when the money is big. We know that it didn't bother calling Weber early in his big contract when his insurance fees were high and in 2016 it didn't even bother asking Bergeron. I do think that Hockey Canada is not overly good at team construction sometimes. That's really the only explanation for things like Huberdeau in 2018. As for the 2019 team, it's useless to speculate now. We can pencil in O'Reilly and just wait to see who else is going.

Ahh looks like I counted the group goals only for the 2015 team my mistake. I agree the 2016 team was a step below the 2015 team but that it was still a very dominant team when considering everything. Ya sometimes Hockey Canada seem like its not even trying when assembling these teams, hopefully 2019 we get a good team with quality goaltenders at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad