Player Discussion II. Valeri Nichushkin

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I get that people are mad at him but good god look at our wingers. Nuke can fill a hole for free. He'd be better than a ton of different expensive options and his ceiling is still quite high. Get over it fans. He can make Dallas better and that's all that should matter.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
He fills a hole in that he's a RW, but does he fill a void?

I'm anxious to see how this plays out as the potential is there, but he has to be a better player than he was his first go. You would expect a player to naturally be better at this point, but that's up in the air with him and I think a good chunk of it has to do with his desire and what's between his ears.

Cautiously optimistic is the absolute best I can do for now.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I'm not mad at him or anything. Would love for him to come back

Maybe Lazy wasn't the right word. Just seems stop trying at times. I only watched a couple games. Overall he does look better though

Boomtime

Aug 22, 2012
Also feel his style of skating leads to the "lazy" eye appeal. His stride is smooth and long he doesn't exude balls to the wall when he's keeping up with the tempo of the game.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Also feel his style of skating leads to the "lazy" eye appeal. His stride is smooth and long he doesn't exude balls to the wall when he's keeping up with the tempo of the game.

And that can be very true. The lanky guys look like they aren't skating hard because their extra long strides don't result in the same kind of foot churning you get from normal people.

Boomtime

Aug 22, 2012
absolutely but at the same time he is a guy who seems to glide alot and that aint skating hard

Could be a product of his linemates and system too. When he was here in Dallas fairly universal his skating speed was near tops on our team so would assume that translates to his standing on the Russian squad. Based on who he is with/role in the breakout coasting might be needed to keep with the flow.

Will add I've only watched him twice since he's left Dallas so can't really comment on the state of his game today...just thinking outloud

Azdinator

Jun 29, 2005
France
http://www.tsn.ca/stars-scout-50-50-nichushkin-returns-to-nhl-1.768858

50/50 to have him back next season, this doesn't advance us much more !
Would you still continue to protect him in the Vegas Draft ? what about gamble him and protect Eakin instead of Val thinking that Vagas will bet on the fact that he will not be back in NHL ?

Dallas Stars
Forwards – Benn (NMC), Spezza (NMC), Seguin, Roussel, Faksa, Ritchie, Eakin
Defence – Klingberg, Lindell, Oleksiak
Goalie – B.Bishop

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Nill already said they were protecting Nichushkin given the current configuration of the team. If anything, 50/50 odds are an improvement to the odds when Nill said they would protect him during the season.

50/50 means, likely, that Nichushkin is at least discussing negotiating breaking his KHL contract, and they're just waiting for his representation to see if they can work that out with his KHL team. We're almost 2 months into the KHL off-season so it's not like this is going to drag on much longer.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

Would you still continue to protect him in the Vegas Draft ? what about gamble him and protect Eakin instead of Val thinking that Vagas will bet on the fact that he will not be back in NHL ?

Dallas Stars
Goalie – B.Bishop

I would not like to protect Eakin.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
If Nichushkin is left unprotected it's 100 percent that Vegas select him. They would not have to waive him if he stays in the KHL for another year, allowing them to build depth in their system. They will be offense starved.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

Dallas Stars
Goalie – B.Bishop

Yes you still protect him because at worst we can trade him and get something for him

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
It would seem protecting Nuke goes against the supposed "win now" mentality. If that is in place, they are either confident he is coming back and/or is seen as a great trade chip or willing to wait another year for his services.

Frankly, I just don't see it. Even in an impressive rookie year, the attitude problems, the interviews, etc. say he is a bit of a cry baby, and do you think he is going to like getting benched by Hitch any more than he liked getting benched by Ruff?

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
It would seem protecting Nuke goes against the supposed "win now" mentality. If that is in place, they are either confident he is coming back and/or is seen as a great trade chip or willing to wait another year for his services.

Frankly, I just don't see it. Even in an impressive rookie year, the attitude problems, the interviews, etc. say he is a bit of a cry baby, and do you think he is going to like getting benched by Hitch any more than he liked getting benched by Ruff?

It's come out from other young Stars players that ruff wasn't exactly very clear about why he would bench guys, and that it was frustrating. That won't be a problem under hitch, he's going to let you know what you did wrong and probably watch video of it over and over again, but then he will also tell you what you should have done.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It's come out from other young Stars players that ruff wasn't exactly very clear about why he would bench guys, and that it was frustrating. That won't be a problem under hitch, he's going to let you know what you did wrong and probably watch video of it over and over again, but then he will also tell you what you should have done.

It's interesting that more and more you're seeing several players had an issue with Nuke. I do think it's an issue for them to take it to the media as Nuke chose to do, but it is interested to see that even Heika (or was it Shapiro) is saying that Ruff's handling of Nemeth has so irreconcilably damaged his relationship with the team he likely won't be back. Nemeth and Johns were the two I'd like to see most under a new coach mainly because both were excellent AHLers, and they got worse the more time they spent in Dallas with Ruff. Is that on them or is that on Ruff? Oleksiak, I thought he was OK, but it's not like he was ever great in the AHL like Nemeth and Johns were.

I really do want to see if Nichushkin, Nemeth, and Johns could blossom with better direction. It's really surprised me about how vocal the local media has been, specifically about the handling of the defense, about Ruff's lack of direction and leadership. Neither Heika or Shapiro has been shy to throw him under the bus. I personally don't remember it being this bad when anyone other than Crawford was let go. Sure, you are going to see a little negative anytime someone leaves, but for the most part, only Crawford and Ruff left with quite a bit coming out about their poor leadership and coaching in the room.

defensorfidei

Jun 4, 2014
It's interesting that more and more you're seeing several players had an issue with Nuke. I do think it's an issue for them to take it to the media as Nuke chose to do, but it is interested to see that even Heika (or was it Shapiro) is saying that Ruff's handling of Nemeth has so irreconcilably damaged his relationship with the team he likely won't be back. Nemeth and Johns were the two I'd like to see most under a new coach mainly because both were excellent AHLers, and they got worse the more time they spent in Dallas with Ruff. Is that on them or is that on Ruff? Oleksiak, I thought he was OK, but it's not like he was ever great in the AHL like Nemeth and Johns were.

I really do want to see if Nichushkin, Nemeth, and Johns could blossom with better direction. It's really surprised me about how vocal the local media has been, specifically about the handling of the defense, about Ruff's lack of direction and leadership. Neither Heika or Shapiro has been shy to throw him under the bus. I personally don't remember it being this bad when anyone other than Crawford was let go. Sure, you are going to see a little negative anytime someone leaves, but for the most part, only Crawford and Ruff left with quite a bit coming out about their poor leadership and coaching in the room.

Players had an issue with Nuke or Ruff. Sorry, as an out of market fan i havent seen much of this.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site

I feel like Oleksiak was definitely better int he AHL than Nemeth was and its debatable between him and Johns. Yeah it was too soon but he got himself a call up during his rookie AHL season and had 33 points in only 59 games down there. It sure was a long time ago but I still think he has the most potential of the 3 and in fact I think he has been the most mishandled by Ruff as well.
I also think Oleksiak is the only one of the three to make an AHL all star roster.

Last edited:

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015

I really do want to see if Nichushkin, Nemeth, and Johns could blossom with better direction. It's really surprised me about how vocal the local media has been, specifically about the handling of the defense, about Ruff's lack of direction and leadership. Neither Heika or Shapiro has been shy to throw him under the bus.I personally don't remember it being this bad when anyone other than Crawford was let go. Sure, you are going to see a little negative anytime someone leaves, but for the most part, only Crawford and Ruff left with quite a bit coming out about their poor leadership and coaching in the room.

Not that they care about my opinion but they shouldn't have to throw anyone under the bus had they been doing their jobs all this time. I stopped reading Heika last year because he was such a company man / apologist. Him saying things about Ruff now says more about him than Ruff.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I feel like Oleksiak was definitely better int he AHL than Nemeth was and its debatable between him and Johns. Yeah it was too soon but he got himself a call up during his rookie AHL season and had 33 points in only 59 games down there. It sure was a long time ago but I still think he has the most potential of the 3 and in fact I think he has been the most mishandled by Ruff as well.
I also think Oleksiak is the only one of the three to make an AHL all star roster.

I was always pulling for Oleksiak. I stopped watching the Texas games regularly last year, but when he was down there with Nemeth, he was always pretty lackadaisical. After he went down a few times after he had the NHL time, he seemed to stop trying and some reports indicated, I call, that he wasn't happy with going back down. If you're not happy about going down, you work harder to prove people wrong, you don't slack off. That's when I really started changing my tune on him.

Defensively though, I personally never though he could looked as good in his own zone as both Nemeth and Johns did down there. His points were nice sure, but Nemeth and Johns were better at their primary job.

It's not like I've written Oleksiak off now, and I'm not counting on any of the three to have major renaissance under Hitchcock. If someone does though, my money would be on Johns first and then Nemeth. I don't think all three will be back, but I'd love to see one or all of them do well with Hitch obviously.

Nichushkin it's just kind of wait and see. I was actually curious to see what some of the Russian fans were saying about him, and I stumbled onto a Russian article quoting McDonnell's recent comments. It's fan gossip, but they were pretty indignant about McDonnell saying Nichushkin could be like Malkin a few days ago. The gossip was that he was heavy into parting in Russia, and the most common complaint was that he bought into his own hype a little too much. They didn't seem to appreciate his attitude at CKSA.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. If the gossip on a Russian sports site, via translation, is true, Nuke may go full Glennie and destroy his own career. I hope that's not the case. I mean he's just now 22 years old. It'll be interesting to see what he looks like this season or the following should he come back.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I was always pulling for Oleksiak. I stopped watching the Texas games regularly last year, but when he was down there with Nemeth, he was always pretty lackadaisical. After he went down a few times after he had the NHL time, he seemed to stop trying and some reports indicated, I call, that he wasn't happy with going back down. If you're not happy about going down, you work harder to prove people wrong, you don't slack off. That's when I really started changing my tune on him.

Defensively though, I personally never though he could looked as good in his own zone as both Nemeth and Johns did down there. His points were nice sure, but Nemeth and Johns were better at their primary job.

It's not like I've written Oleksiak off now, and I'm not counting on any of the three to have major renaissance under Hitchcock. If someone does though, my money would be on Johns first and then Nemeth. I don't think all three will be back, but I'd love to see one or all of them do well with Hitch obviously.

Nichushkin it's just kind of wait and see. I was actually curious to see what some of the Russian fans were saying about him, and I stumbled onto a Russian article quoting McDonnell's recent comments. It's fan gossip, but they were pretty indignant about McDonnell saying Nichushkin could be like Malkin a few days ago. The gossip was that he was heavy into parting in Russia, and the most common complaint was that he bought into his own hype a little too much. They didn't seem to appreciate his attitude at CKSA.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. If the gossip on a Russian sports site, via translation, is true, Nuke may go full Glennie and destroy his own career. I hope that's not the case. I mean he's just now 22 years old. It'll be interesting to see what he looks like this season or the following should he come back.

Yeah the other two have definitely shown better defense in the AHL I'll give them that. Its not like Oleksiak was terrible defensively down there though. I agree youd like to see the guy put his head down and work his ass off but at the same time i can see a certain level of frustration being hard to shake while the franchise seems to be so terrible at handling the young d situation. I still feel like he and Johns have 2nd pair upside while nemeth could top out on as a solid bottom pair guy.

It does seem like Nuke has bought into his own hype too much. While we could use a winger it might be better for his future if he stayed over there for awhile. I dont know if I can envision him having a great relationship with Hitch at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->