Prospect Info: Igor Shvryov [125th overall]

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Could he come to the AHL instead of CHL?

And why in the world does he have so many spellings for his name?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Could yes. It would likely be better for him to get a year in the CHL first to get used to NA ice. I wouldn't be against AHL time though.

Because Russian... the alphabets and translation cause issues. I'm sure the native Russian speakers can elaborate more. My understanding is the best translation is Shvyryov.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Because latinic world has trouble translating cyrilic names. Same was Syomin was named Semin, Varlamov Semen instead of Semyon. Cirilic e translates to yo, rather than e in some cases which confuses people.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It would probably be hard to lure him from KHL at this point but a lower league in Russia? Who knows.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It would probably be hard to lure him from KHL at this point but a lower league in Russia? Who knows.

He probably won't see much KHL time next season since his KHL team is one of the leagues perennial powerhouses. But he should be in the russian AHL next season with sporadic looks with the senior squad. I would be cool with him staying for another year to see if he can't win himself a spot on the senior squad for the following season; and if he can let him spend that season in russia as well. But if there's just no KHL minutes for him in the 2018-2019 season; I'd like to see us woo him over to the AHL.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He probably won't see much KHL time next season since his KHL team is one of the leagues perennial powerhouses. But he should be in the russian AHL next season with sporadic looks with the senior squad. I would be cool with him staying for another year to see if he can't win himself a spot on the senior squad for the following season; and if he can let him spend that season in russia as well. But if there's just no KHL minutes for him in the 2018-2019 season; I'd like to see us woo him over to the AHL.

The problem is that once he has regular KHL time and a contract there, it's trickier to convince him to "defect". The CHL is a big commitment and it would be a major victory to get him to take that step to get comfortable in North America.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
It was Semen, wasn't it?

234ec33886fc446fbc847a42d454c5f4_front.jpg

I'm sure I remember a TSN caption from his draft with that name but a screenshot isn't as forthcoming

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It was Semen, wasn't it?

Yep, someone thought it was a good ideal just to try and transliterate the letters in his name to their closest Roman alphabet counterpart (áõüёý). Big mistake.

Then for a while it was "Simeon" and then I bet he got frustrated that people still mispronounced his name.

The only difference between "E" and "ÃÂ" is that umlaut, but the pronunciation is completely different. One is "ye" and the other is "yo".

Anyway that's about the limit of my knowledge of the Russian language. :laugh: Thanks to one college course I can read Cyrillic and know a few phrases, but that's it. It's a fascinating language.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The problem is that once he has regular KHL time and a contract there, it's trickier to convince him to "defect". The CHL is a big commitment and it would be a major victory to get him to take that step to get comfortable in North America.

Oh no doubt it would be great to get him into the CHL because of what it said about his intentions to play for this team someday. But he has a chance to get into one of the KHL's perennial powerhouses; so I'm having a tough time seeing him want to rush over to NA, before at least trying to establish himself in russia first (like Panarin / Tarasenko did). So even if the NHL is his goal, I'm skeptical he'll be all that excited to run over to NA to play junior or AHL hockey over here next year.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Pretty much. The time is now to get him to the CHL. It's going to be tougher to get Russians to come over for the AHL.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
So if teams thought he would come over, how high would he have gone?

I would say with what he's shown he could have made it into the late 1st. Second to third sounds more likely. With my personal feelings that he'd have been a solid second round pick.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So if teams thought he would come over, how high would he have gone?

2nd or 3rd last season... late 2nd this season. There is still a good amount of risk of his game translating on smaller ice and the more physical game.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd love to see him move to the CHL if there's anything to that comment by Hepple, but I'm not expecting him to come over any time soon. So I won't start worrying until we're set to lose his rights; and if he doesn't end up ever coming over, he doesn't come over. I'm excited by the talent, and what the pick says about this scouting staff's willingness to bet on talent; but I'll start getting excited about him someday wearing an avs jersey when he's playing in NA. I don't think Grimaldi / Smirnov / Andrighetto can make it in the NHL; but until Shviryov is playing in NA, I'll be more excited by the potential of one of those smurfs sticking on MacK n Mikko's wing.

If he ever does come over though; I'll hype him harder than anyone but Henchy...cause holy s*** could he become a beautiful top 6 piece for us, if he doesn't stagnate and can adjust to playing in NA. Shvyryov - MacK - Rantanen could become just too sexy...even though I still really love the idea of Jost filling that LW spot on the top line because his more tenacious style of play would be a perfect compliment to 29-96...if we added that big body 2C to tackle the toughest minutes with Landy somewhere else along the way...say by getting Jarmo drunk and convincing him to toss PLD in with Murray & a cap dump for Duchene (50% retained) & a prospect like Morrison / Beaudin / Henry; so that he can still afford re-sign his guy & bring in Kovy's corpse for a year to really go for it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Next season is the year to watch. The kid has a year left on his contract, and maybe the Avs can snag him then. This was pretty expected, it just would have been a cherry on top here.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Think of it more as that's expected; and had he been taken it would've been a great sign. Will save folks a lot of stress, even if he does come over some day.

Next season is the year to watch. The kid has a year left on his contract, and maybe the Avs can snag him then. This was pretty expected, it just would have been a cherry on top here.

I know, as you say it would have been a nice cherry on top type of indicator.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad