Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Interview with the GOAT from SKA's website. He gives a lot of non-answers to the press. Comes off very differently on social media.
- Do you remember how many KHL shutouts you have this season?
- Four, probably.
- Speak about today's match.
- It was a good game, the guys tried hard. The first period wasn't great, but we scored in the second stanza and managed to win.
- Are you tired of winning?
- You never get tired of winning.
- It seems that SKA's players don't feel the pressure of the winning streak?
- Yes we're not bothered about it. We prepare for each separate match and try to win.
- Spartak had a couple of 1 on 1 opportunities. Did SKA lose concentration?
- Maybe.
- The morning skate took place very early.
- I went to sleep after that, I only woke up before the game.
59dc9d217ca678_85958850.jpeg

- You are playing more often than Mikko Koskinen at the moment.
- He was ill for a while, so he couldn't travel for the away trip. Now we are playing half of the matches each.
- Has Mikko took offence to the fact that you play a lot?
- We need to look at the statistics to see how many games we have played.
- Five home games are coming up.
- It's always nice to play at the Ice Palace, I hope that we will continue winning games.
- Which opponent was the toughest for you?
- It was difficult against Avangard Omsk in the first period.
- SKA have beaten Spartak by a combined score of 9:0 in these two games.
- Spartak have a good team, but they didn't take advantage of their opportunities. Had they scored, it would have been more difficult for us.
- Before the match, did you speak to Alexander Dergachyov?
- Yes, he tried to put pressure on me at the red line, but he's so tall I actually couldn't hear him.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Shesterkin 1.08 and .959. Costco is 1.74 and .930. Last year it was 1.67 and .937 vs 2.08 and .916.

Costco is widely viewed as one of the top goalies outside the NHL. He beat out Raanta for a spot on the Finnish World Cup team a year ago. Shesterkin and Costco are playing on the same team and the number of games is already significant enough to draw conclusions: Costco played in 31 games and Shesterkin in 53 games this and last season combined.

Shesterkin has by far the best GAA and SV% in the KHL. Say what you will about stats, but how often do you see a guy dominate GAA and SV% without being at least a top-3 goalie in the league? Brodeur played on some amazing defensive teams, yet was he still not one of the top goalies ever? Costco's numbers are good enough to be 6th in GAA and 11/12 in SV% (had he played 10+ games). Still excellent, but not quite as excellent.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Can someone who has seen Igor and Hank play at the same age compare the two? I know it's a lot to ask since Hank was Igor's age so long ago and they played in different countries.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Different era, different nations, different leagues, different teams. Very hard to compare. Plus, very few watch both the SHL/SEL and the KHL.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
We'd better identify who Shestyorkin's eventual successor would be so we can bump a thread about him when we inevitably throw Igor under the bus.

Not throwing Hank under the bus, but the reality is that players decline. When you have what looks to be a future star on the horizon, its okay to think about the eventual succession.
It is even more difficult for goalie since he can't move to a bottom pair or 3rd line role.
Hank's struggles have been well documented for the last two years. It's time to think about his replacement.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I saw that Ilya Sorokin posted similar numbers even younger. Is that a testament to how good Sorokin is or does that say more about the numbers being not as impressive as they seem?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So I saw that Ilya Sorokin posted similar numbers even younger. Is that a testament to how good Sorokin is or does that say more about the numbers being not as impressive as they seem?
Sorokin was/is considered one of the best goaltending prospects in the world, so yes, it's a testament to how good he is.

What Shesterkin is doing this season is f***ing bonkers, even on a stacked team.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah Sorokin, Shestyorkin, and Samsonov are considered some of the best goaltending prospects out there and they're all tearing up the KHL.

Sorokin was able to start a bit earlier than Shestyorkin, who was stuck in the lower league and then behind a starter for an extra year or so

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Shestyorkin, Sorokin and Samsonov are arguably the 3 top ranked goalie prospects in the world if you count Saros as graduated right now. I don't really think #4 is particularily close either.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
CSKA I think plays defense structurally much better than SKA, and that season that Sorokin had they also had Zaitsev who was the best defenseman in the league and now a good NHL defenseman. They were better than SKA that season. I think Sorokin was protected by his team that season, although he's obviously very good, but I don't think those stats paint the full picture. I think Shestyorkin is the best goalie outside the NHL right now, Samsonov might be the goalie with the most potential but he's a long way off positionally.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Shest didn't play again today and they started Kosk again....

SKA won 4-2. Kosk gave up 2 goals on 22 shots.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Different era, different nations, different leagues, different teams. Very hard to compare. Plus, very few watch both the SHL/SEL and the KHL.

I do. But I live in Europe. I actually went to the Frolunda game today. Saw Andersson play.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I still don't like GAA, SV% is much better, really wish we had access to shot location data in KHL, would be cool.

KHL actually tracks time in the offensive/defensive zones. Interesting to see in conjunction with the shot attempts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->