Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Feel like that's kind of a slap in the face, they don't let him play in potentially the record breaking game? Which they did win but c'on, guy just won the last 8 straight games for SKA and 11 of those 15 games to get to that game. Kinda wish Mikko and SKA ended up losing. Which they almost did.

Koskinen stopped 19 of 21 shots. Shestyorkin's had a better SV% 12 of the 13 games he's played this season.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Feel like that's kind of a slap in the face, they don't let him play in potentially the record breaking game? Which they did win but c'on, guy just won the last 8 straight games for SKA and 11 of those 15 games to get to that game. Kinda wish Mikko and SKA ended up losing. Which they almost did.

What record? Was it a team record or would it have been an individual record?

In any case, back-ups have to stretch their legs every now & then to keep them sharp. I wouldn't look at it as anything more than that.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Look where Igor is positioned on this breakaway...top of the paint. He is very confident in his ability to recover, which allows him to be aggressive challenging the shooter.
Once this kid comes over, he becomes the starter or, at the least, splits time with Hank for a year, then takes over.
I am waiting to go to JFK to pick him up. Quick stop at Brighton Beach, then MSG.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
What record? Was it a team record or would it have been an individual record?

In any case, back-ups have to stretch their legs every now & then to keep them sharp. I wouldn't look at it as anything more than that.

New KHL record, 19 wins in a row.

Reactions: Revel

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Realistically, what are the chances of getting him to NYC for next season?

Pockets are deep enough to buy out his SKA contract, no problem.

Hank is looking like he's toast... maybe mentally, more than physically, but either way... it's going to take a lot of convincing that he is still capable of taking this team anywhere. This kid could come over and make the starting job his own.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
We'd better identify who Shestyorkin's eventual successor would be so we can bump a thread about him when we inevitably throw Igor under the bus.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
We'd better identify who Shestyorkin's eventual successor would be so we can bump a thread about him when we inevitably throw Igor under the bus.
Huska, for the time being. Though they are close enough in age. So maybe not.

What 15 y/o goalies are out there for the Rangers?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Were going nowhere until hank is done either switching to a back up role or just retiring which wouldn’t surprise me after this year or next. Best Ranger of all time but his time as a number one is over.

I’d love to see shesterkin here next year

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Were going nowhere until hank is done either switching to a back up role or just retiring which wouldn’t surprise me after this year or next. Best Ranger of all time but his time as a number one is over.

I’d love to see shesterkin here next year

Shestyorkin needs a buy out for that to happen

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think we know what is realistic at this point. How can we put percentages or guesses on it without more info? Most of these guys eventually come over and he's said he wants to play in the NHL when he's ready. That's all we know. Hopefully Brooks can start asking questions about this. The three scenarios seem to be he comes over next season after the final year of his SKA contract is bought out, he comes over the year after having completed his contract with SKA or he signs a new contract with SKA.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
noice - will he be here next year training camp - is`t possible to buy him out to get him over here?

Let`s be honest here - Ondřej Pavelec is 30 years old - you can`t change his play style that much in his age. And free the kittens to play hockey. ))

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's given up 14 in 14 games. Ridiculous. Given up more than one goal only twice.

That takes serious concentration. It's true he doesn't play for an awful team but hockey matches in the KHL are still competitive, SKA is just very good. He could easily have a few games where he gives up 4-6 goals and loses them the game.

Koskinen has given up two or more in 4 of his 7 games, so if you aren't that good, the SV% and GAA could be much higher.

Last edited:

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Igor's numbers are too amazing in relation to his age and too consistent as a goalie to be "fluky" no matter how good his team is. It's not like he's a forward playing on a line with Malkin and prime Kovalchuk against a league of bottom sixers. The dude is great at his craft-- will that translate into a .910 sv% or a .930 at the NHL level? We can only dream until he comes over next (next next :thumbd:?) year.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Henrik is far from done - I`m more worried about our backup @Edge

Admittedly, we got spoiled. Talbot (undrafted FA signing) became a top-end starter, and Raanta (trade for Haggerty) is likely getting his shot this season to see if he is capable of being a starter.

Pavelec doesn't have the upside potential of the other two, but he's not a lost cause either. I don't know whether he will work out, but I can't say he's too high on my list of concerns at the moment.

I'm a little more concerned with what I'm seeing from Hank, at times, this early in the season. Because, even at 35 years old, as Hank goes, so goes the rest of this team. Additionally, Hank is a proud athlete and I don't see him hanging on if he feels he can't be the player he once was. That scenario, more than a backup, is going to be a glaring hole for a team that has a fairly big gap between the goalie of today and the (likely) goalie of tomorrow in Shestyorkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad