Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
"He elevates [his game] no matter what the situation is," Bobrov said of the netminder. "I honestly don't remember the last time I saw him have a bad game. He goes in and performs whenever the chance is given." "He's extremely efficient," Bobrov said of Shesterkin. "He's very economical in his movements and he controls his rebounds extremely well. He's very athletic and can make multiple saves but he doesn't give other teams those opportunities." "He's smooth and is a calming influence on the team," he said. "When you see him back there, you know things will be OK. There's very a seldom moment where he bobbles anything. That ability to create that calm environment made him successful." "When Rykov got traded … Igor reached out right away and said 'I can't get rid of you,'" Bobrov recalled with a laugh. "Buch also reached out. It's a comradery that's pretty special. They're all about the same age. They all talk. They're all part of the same band."

Season in Review: Igor Shesterkin

Reactions: Rongomania

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good news: Nearly everything I've read indicates this and he's signed no extension yet. Do we really think he's going to sign an extension in like February or March of the last year of his contract? I gotta think if there's no extension by the end of the calendar year, its all but a certainly that he leaves.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Good news: Nearly everything I've read indicates this and he's signed no extension yet. Do we really think he's going to sign an extension in like February or March of the last year of his contract? I gotta think if there's no extension by the end of the calendar year, its all but a certainly that he leaves.

I'd imagine if he comes over next year he will likely start in the AHL to adjust and play consistently and then get some games up with the club at the end of the season; then in 2020-21 season split games with Lundqvist, who will be in his final year - I could see Lundqvist signing on a final contract for 2 years to play 1/3 of the games

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I'd say he's still no. 1 prospect unless Chytil produce like 40+ pts. I'm not terribly knowledgeable but... Shesyorkin has dominated the 2nd best league for two years now... Chytil had an above-average season in the 3rd most competitive league... his NHL stint was solid but an insufficient sample size. OK, granted, Chytil is nearly four years younger and very well may end up a more well-regarded player but as of now, Shestyorkin has made the last few World Cups and was on the gold medal Olympic team.

I think because Chytil is still 18 and so good, and people so desperately want to see them develop that star, everyone thinks the kid can walk on water. More developed is Shestyorkin... And don't say "it's a measure of likelihood to succeed," because this board ranked Neal Pionk no. 8, behind 3-4 players who are 18-19.

Reactions: broadwayblue

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I really REALLY hope they make him in the undisputed #1 goalie for SKA this season. Give him 45 games and let him dominate.

Reactions: haveandare

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd imagine if he comes over next year he will likely start in the AHL to adjust and play consistently and then get some games up with the club at the end of the season; then in 2020-21 season split games with Lundqvist, who will be in his final year - I could see Lundqvist signing on a final contract for 2 years to play 1/3 of the games

I don't think the team has that leverage over him in the way that they might have it over Rykov. If he wants, he'll be one of the highest paid players in the KHL. He'd already be taking less money to sign an ELC. I don't think he's also taking bus rides in a worse league than the KHL in the hopes that maybe he eventually gets called up. Besides, he's an NHL player right now. He's more NHL ready than Buchnevich was when he came over, and such a big deal was made about that by the fans. It turned into nothing, as he made the team easily.

Rykov, thats another story. I'll be interested to see what happens there, if we get him signed after this season. I don't think they are going to guarantee him a spot on the roster. KHL clause? Will he be willing to play in the AHL if he doesn't make the team initially?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'd say he's still no. 1 prospect unless Chytil produce like 40+ pts. I'm not terribly knowledgeable but... Shesyorkin has dominated the 2nd best league for two years now... Chytil had an above-average season in the 3rd most competitive league... his NHL stint was solid but an insufficient sample size. OK, granted, Chytil is nearly four years younger and very well may end up a more well-regarded player but as of now, Shestyorkin has made the last few World Cups and was on the gold medal Olympic team.

I think because Chytil is still 18 and so good, and people so desperately want to see them develop that star, everyone thinks the kid can walk on water. More developed is Shestyorkin... And don't say "it's a measure of likelihood to succeed," because this board ranked Neal Pionk no. 8, behind 3-4 players who are 18-19.

But if Chytil puts up 40 points, he’s no longer a prospect. Unless he does it in like 30 games.

So the two things cannot coexist.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Not for long, I agree. But till he performs well (yeah about 35-40 pts.) at the NHL level, Shestyorkin is the more developed prospect.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
shesty is the top prospect (and most nhl ready) in this organization.

hes insanely talented and has the sparkling resume playing in the KHL. as far as his skillset goes, he's the real deal and for sure he's a true #1 waiting to happen.

playing net and the importance it has for this organization going foward, he's my clear #1 prospect.

he needs to take the reins from hank when his time comes.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
shesty is the top prospect (and most nhl ready) in this organization.

hes insanely talented and has the sparkling resume playing in the KHL. as far as his skillset goes, he's the real deal and for sure he's a true #1 waiting to happen.

playing net and the importance it has for this organization going foward, he's my clear #1 prospect.

he needs to take the reins from hank when his time comes.
I'd wager to say he is the most anticipated Rangers prospect in quite a while.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
What goalies made their A-team?

Pretty sure there isn't one. This is a way to manufacture another team for KHL preseason. Take a bunch of young Russian players who play in the KHL and their KHL club doesn't "need" for preseason, and call it the Russian National Team. He played with this team last preseason. SKA has other goalies that they can use for their own team during this tournament.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Pretty sure there isn't one. This is a way to manufacture another team for KHL preseason. Take a bunch of young Russian players who play in the KHL and their KHL club doesn't "need" for preseason, and call it the Russian National Team. He played with this team last preseason. SKA has other goalies that they can use for their own team during this tournament.

Ah, that makes sense; thanks!

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rykov is the best blueliner of the bunch. I gotta give you props, you stuck by your assessment of him two years back and never wavered. I’m happy he’s a Rangers prospect now

VOTE FOR RYKOV:laugh:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/top-russian-prospects-11.2526423/

Rykov has 3 points in 4 games so far this preseason. His biggest problem has nothing to do with his game. Its about his role. SKA is basically an NHL team, so he plays a much smaller role than he should. But I also think this prepares him for joining the NHL team better than most other prospects. Next year in Rangers camp, if he joins, the competition won't be that much of a step up from what he faces everyday in practice. Any other hockey team outside the NHL and it would be. He could conceivably go straight into the NHL in a year having never been more than a 5 or 6 defensemen for SKA, which I suspect will be his role this year.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Endorsement from Magnus Hellberg. New Lundqvist confirmed. :laugh:

"He's drafted the Rangers, do you think he'll be able to become a new Lundquist one day?"
- I think, yes, he has such potential. He is still young. The game in America is a little different, he will understand if he goes there. He has everything in order to become an NHL goalkeeper, but it's not easy. We must work hard and give ourselves completely. It will be very difficult to replace Lundquist, this is a great goalkeeper, but if Sesterkin continues to develop, a bright future awaits him.

«Сыграю на гитаре, если СКА выиграет Кубок». Что ещё пообещал Хелльберг

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->