Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Really interesting twitter thread here by a respected Russian hockey writer on how the KHL this season (and SKA specifically) has been one massive Putin propaganda tool. Sucks that Shestyorkin and Rykov are in the middle of this, the league is a joke.

I’ve been saying this for years. Every one here should read it. It is far from a given a player starring for SKA is a going to be a player here in a real league. We need to see shesterkin here ASAP. This is why valliquette the other night was troubled when talking about shesterkin being the crown prince.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
It’s not wrong though look at straight up. They have all the best players. There are like 4 teams total that can even compete with them. They don’t have a salary cap. Nothing he is saying is wrong. It’s a joke of a league.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s mostly right. SKA situation was driven by Russian Hockey officials desire to put together a Soviet style Red Machine national team (they actually used this term) for the Olympics that used to be like CSKA that played together in all tournaments, thus developing an incredible awareness of where teammates were. The problem is that in the old days there were more talent to go around to keep things competitive. Not these days and lack of competition creates complacency. For this reason they almost lost the Olympic gold to Germany.

They almost lost gold because they played their fourth best goalie who gave up two really bad goals. Same coach as the SKA coach.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ve been saying this for years. Every one here should read it. It is far from a given a player starring for SKA is a going to be a player here in a real league. We need to see shesterkin here ASAP. This is why valliquette the other night was troubled when talking about shesterkin being the crown prince.

Thats absurd. Just because the league is corrupt doesn't mean the players aren't good. They've played in other competitions, as well.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I read in our newspaper this morning that a few of the Canadian players even puked after watching that lamb being slaughtered . There was a story about some of the unusual things that go on there in Russia . There were a couple of NHL names mentioned who have been keeping journals ...but I can't remember who they were...old age LOL. This is what I had read this AM North Americans in KHL: 'I can't believe that just happened'

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Me neither. It doesn't make sense to put a judgement on a Mid-Asian cultural event in the context of Western traditions.
Very sensible post. Lots of things seem "weird" when viewed through the lens of Western norms. The same can be said for Western traditions when looked at from the perspective of someone from a different culture. Let's use some cultural relativism though.

As far as the Malamud piece regarding SKA, Putin and the KHL in general, the narrative as a whole seems totally plausible to me. That's not to say that Malamud doesn't sensationalize or that all of his details are correct, but again, the main point of the story seems believable, IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->