Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
He never coached Buchnevich. That was Rangers legend Sergei Zubov.

Znarok is a lot like AV though. Very "old-school" mentality to coaching. Loves his grinders, goes with veterans over good younger players. He has "his players", and if you aren't part of that group of players, you probably won't play or in the case of the Russian National Team, won't be called in.

A lot of Russian coaches and execs like to hide young talent on lower lines in hopes that they won't come to North America and play in the NHL. It's been a practice for years since players started defecting.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
A lot of Russian coaches and execs like to hide young talent on lower lines in hopes that they won't come to North America and play in the NHL. It's been a practice for years since players started defecting.
well WTF is the point of that, if you're going to waste your asset instead of using it, there's no point in preventing an NHL team from taking them. Might as well get 100% of whatever you can

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
well WTF is the point of that, if you're going to waste your asset instead of using it, there's no point in preventing an NHL team from taking them. Might as well get 100% of whatever you can
They hide them when they're 18, 19, 20. Younger. Then when they get a longer commitment the guys get more of a chance. Once they've given that initial commitment and settled into the league, then it is harder for the NHL teams to pluck them out. I don't see it happening as much as it used to though. There's too much scouting, and the players know what's up.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

They've done it with the very best. Check the numbers in the Russian Superleague of all of the best Russian players over the years. You'll see what I'm saying.

Reactions: egelband

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
They hide them when they're 18, 19, 20. Younger. Then when they get a longer commitment the guys get more of a chance. Once they've given that initial commitment and settled into the league, then it is harder for the NHL teams to pluck them out. I don't see it happening as much as it used to though. There's too much scouting, and the players know what's up.

This is all true, scouts caught onto it and they watch the younger players a lot closer now.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Never thought about it this way. Always figured Russian coaches have even less tolerance for rookie mistakes or patience to develop a trust in youngsters.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Shest not playing again in game 3. He needs to rip up his contract and come over next season. What a f***ing waste.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
SKA up 3-0 in series.

Our defenseman, Yegor , also got the least amount of ice time among the EIGHT defesenmen who played.

Love this coach.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Shest not playing again in game 3. He needs to rip up his contract and come over next season. What a ****ing waste.

Didn't he need to give notice like months and months ago if he were to terminate the contract? I'm sure it would have leaked if true.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
SKA up 3-0 in series.

Our defenseman, Yegor , also got the least amount of ice time among the EIGHT defesenmen who played.

Love this coach.

Sounds like he's doing a great job. Coached the team to a strong regular season and now they are on the cusp of a playoff sweep. Hard to argue with that.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Hmm interesting. Did this change or has it always been this way?

I’m sure there are rules in place but it also makes me wonder why Rangers can’t just offer to cover him the money in his signing bonus?

There's no transfer agreement with Russia. Players have to buy their own way out of their contracts.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Sounds like he's doing a great job. Coached the team to a strong regular season and now they are on the cusp of a playoff sweep. Hard to argue with that.
Well, his team is an absolute juggernaut. You could cut half the roster and they'd still easily make the playoffs. It's kind of like a "just stay out of the way" thing. I don't personally see much to be upset about with Shesterkin and Rykov, but the coach isn't infallible and I can understand why others are upset.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Well, his team is an absolute juggernaut. You could cut half the roster and they'd still easily make the playoffs. It's kind of like a "just stay out of the way" thing. I don't personally see much to be upset about with Shesterkin and Rykov, but the coach isn't infallible and I can understand why others are upset.

Gotcha. I guess he's comfortable sticking with what has been working, even if it comes at the expense of some talented players.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

A sweep should be expected. Severstal doesn't have more than 4-5 players who could get into SKA's lineup. The fact that they've needed two OT wins of the three is indication they aren't playing as well as they are capable of.

MikeSteaks

Sep 30, 2017
SKA up 3-0 in series.

Love this coach.
Lol, yeah such a shitty coach.. coaching his way to a 3-0 series lead. What an idiot that coach is.

Senorchris

Nov 29, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Really interesting twitter thread here by a respected Russian hockey writer on how the KHL this season (and SKA specifically) has been one massive Putin propaganda tool. Sucks that Shestyorkin and Rykov are in the middle of this, the league is a joke.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Really interesting twitter thread here by a respected Russian hockey writer on how the KHL this season (and SKA specifically) has been one massive Putin propaganda tool. Sucks that Shestyorkin and Rykov are in the middle of this, the league is a joke.

That's nuts if true.

I've seen Russian posters say that Malamud isn't a very reliable source, but he certainly puts together a solid argument here.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
That's nuts if true.

I've seen Russian posters say that Malamud isn't a very reliable source, but he certainly puts together a solid argument here.

He’s mostly right. SKA situation was driven by Russian Hockey officials desire to put together a Soviet style Red Machine national team (they actually used this term) for the Olympics that used to be like CSKA that played together in all tournaments, thus developing an incredible awareness of where teammates were. The problem is that in the old days there were more talent to go around to keep things competitive. Not these days and lack of competition creates complacency. For this reason they almost lost the Olympic gold to Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->