Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Reminds me of the Cloutier v Fichaud debate, but hopefully works out better this time.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Very good article and spot on quite frankly. Although I’m fairly certain allaire is going to stand shesty up on those traffic situations as soon as he gets here.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I'd rather have Shesty's calm demeanor. I think it will transition better, and it will also not require so many "show-stopping" saves, which are really just compensation scrambles for over-committing.

Staying somewhat low to watch for shots isn't the worst thing, especially since he may not have much of an edge in standing upright anyway. It gives him the position to react as needed, playing into the strength of his reflexes.

Sorokin's aggression is a benefit in some situations, as he's out to challenge shooters, but it's more of a risk-reward style than Shesty's.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What that person wrote is also close to what I think, although I don't know the position in such detail as that person does.

Sorokin has always looked very aggressive, acrobatic, out of position when I watch him play. He's still very good, and I think he'll be a very good NHL goalie, but his game has always looked less refined to me than Shestyorkin's. Some have acted like Shestyorkin's some Hasek-style goalie, and I've never really understood it. I think it comes from him being below average height for a goalie, so there's an assumption that he is as good as he is because he plays that style.

He obviously has very high level athleticism, but his game seems very technically sound and polished. The only area of the game where I think he might struggle with is seeing through screens. I've seen him give up a lot of goals that way, although I think he's improved some in that area this season.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Sorokin reminds me a lot of samsonov who’s another one who’s all over the place. Both have a lot of work to do. Shesterkin is more nhl ready than both imo.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Interview with Igor's mother, Elena.

This is the part that will get the headlines. The rest of the google translated interview is below.

- For what hockey team did the son get sick in childhood?
"For the New York Rangers."
- Who was his main childhood idol?
- His idol still plays in this club. This is goalkeeper Henrik Lundqvist.

- Why did you decide to send your son to the school "Wings of the Soviets"?
- Next to our house in Setuni is a hockey palace. And the girlfriend there drove her son to hockey. She suggested to go to the game of the first team. We went, Igor really liked it. In the end, we decided to give it to the hockey section.
- Igor's first coach was Evgeny Poleyev, who was the goalkeeper himself. Did he see in your son the makings of a goalkeeper?
"Yes, he has a heavenly kingdom." Thank you very much for that. Our family is very grateful to this person, he always supported Igor, helped him with various advice.
- How did you react to the fact that your son wants to be a goalkeeper? Why did they make such a choice?
- Firstly, the makings of the goalkeeper in the son were made out by the coach. Secondly, it was Igor's choice. He was always drawn to the gate. I was not against it, but my father doubted a little. I thought maybe it would be better to become an attacker or a defender. Then we persuaded him and decided to try himself in the goalkeeper's art.
Deposit of the goalkeeper in the son made out by the coach. But it was the choice of Igor himself. He was always drawn to the gate.​
- You as a mother were not afraid of all the bruises and cones that fall to the lot of goalkeepers?
- Of course, at first I was worried. Especially when the puck flew into the helmet. After all, it flies so fast!
- When they realized that hockey is not just a hobby for Igor, but he wants and is ready to become a professional hockey player?
- At first we somehow did not think about it. We just walked, we did. We worked day after day. Igor really liked it, he was very eager to attend classes. So we gradually came to this.
- There were times when Igor was tired of hockey, he wanted to quit? What words helped in such cases?
- No, I do not remember such moments. They were not. If a child wants to do something and he likes it, then everything will turn out.
- Hockey has always been for him sport No. 1 or were there moments when he was interested in, say, football?
- Yes, hockey has always been in the first place. But he used to play football with his dad playing during the summer holidays. I also ran with the guys in the yard. But hockey, of course, is the main love.
- What was the most memorable moment from Igor's hockey childhood?
- When the son first skated. It is impossible to forget his happy eyes when he put on the goalkeeper's form. Happiness was very much!
- What role in the career of Igor was played by coach Oleg Bratash?
- He played an important role, made a great contribution. I trusted Igor very much, it helped my son. He knew Oleg Vladimirovich even from the "Wings of the Soviets." Went to him for additional goalkeeper training.
"Did he insist on switching to Spartak?"
- I do not know such details. I know that he was chosen in the Junior Draft.
- "Spartacus" and "Wings of the Soviets" - native teams for his son?
- "Wings" - the most native, they released it. This school gave the country many pupils. In the "Spartacus" and SKA developed a professional career.
- Was it difficult for his son to move to St. Petersburg or problems in terms of life did not arise?
- SKA helped with the move, no problems arose. It was harder for the parents-we were worried about how he would be alone there. As a result, the move made him more independent.
"Do you often visit him?"
"He has already settled down, we visit him whenever possible." In terms of the road, St. Petersburg is not far from Moscow, so it's convenient to drive.
- Did you go to matches with SKA?
- Yes of course. We try to attend games.
- Who drove Igor to training?
- I mostly drove, and on the weekends - dad. On weekdays he was busy with work. We and for additional goalkeeper training it drove. Here, too, the pope took an active part. Grandparents helped as much as possible.
"Wings" - the most native, they released it. This school gave the country many pupils. In the "Spartacus" and SKA developed a professional career.​
- Hobbies in the hockey school did not interfere with schooling?
- To combine, of course, it was hard. But coped, many teachers came to meet us. A big thank you to them.
- See all the matches with the son, do not miss his games?
- We watch all the matches of SKA, we are very ill for Igor. Especially when he plays.
- Probably, constantly on communication?
- Constantly call up, share emotions, always in touch. Especially after the matches.
- Did the son collect any hockey souvenirs, cards, postcards?
- Like all the boys, he collected cards with autographs of hockey players, glued stickers on the album. And now we collect medals and prizes, which he earns.
- What emotions did you experience after your son won the Gagarin Cup with SKA?
- Emotions were only positive. Words can not describe them.
- What did you feel when Igor got on the list of players who will go to the 2018 Olympics?
- Our family is very happy that Igor got to the Olympic Games. We believe in our team, we hope only for victory.
- Will you follow the games of the Russians?
- Of course!

Елена Шестёркина: стать вратарём – это выбор самого Игоря

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Interview with Igor's mother, Elena.

This is the part that will get the headlines. The rest of the google translated interview is below.

Елена Шестёркина: стать вратарём – это выбор самого Игоря

Google translate is f***ing horrible. They can't distinguish between context. The Russian word "Ballyel" mean "was sick" and "rooted for". The fact that Google translate f***s that up means it's a pretty horrible tool. Just venting.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Igor is sick for New York Rangers.

Cool.
tumblr_masaut09dT1r2kkvco1_1280.jpg

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
Interviews like this is why I’m so sure he will come over when it’s time. It also warms my heart that he has been a Rangers fan for so long and then be drafted by them.

Reactions: haveandare

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Google translate is ****ing horrible. They can't distinguish between context. The Russian word "Ballyel" mean "was sick" and "rooted for". The fact that Google translate ****s that up means it's a pretty horrible tool. Just venting.

It may be bad for certain languages, but it's really great for me at the office when I'm dealing with Spanish language clients and such.

Problematique

Apr 3, 2011
Australia
I know the future is unclear but:
  • When will this kid become a back up goalie start seeing ice time for NYR?
  • Will this kid become a starter after Hank is done, or do you see NYR bringing in another experienced goalie to take the reigns once Hank hangs up the skates?
  • Can this kid be as reliable as Hank?
  • What do you guys see his eventual salary being - will NYR be hesitant to offer big bucks to a goalie again after Hank's contract?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
If it looks like he's going to be the backup again for SKA, is there any chance that we might get him over here next year? Or is it almost a certainty that he sticks out his contract there regardless of usage?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know the future is unclear but:
  • When will this kid become a back up goalie start seeing ice time for NYR?
  • Will this kid become a starter after Hank is done, or do you see NYR bringing in another experienced goalie to take the reigns once Hank hangs up the skates?
  • Can this kid be as reliable as Hank?
  • What do you guys see his eventual salary being - will NYR be hesitant to offer big bucks to a goalie again after Hank's contract?

Question 1: His contract is up after the 2018-2019 season. He could sign with the Rangers then. If that happens, 2019-2020 season. He's NHL ready right now, so I don't see why he should be in a few seasons, as well.

Question 2: Thats years down the road. There's no reason to bring in another goalie right now to compete for a spot, unless its to compete with Georgiyev for a spot next season. Shestyorkin isn't joining the Rangers to compete for a spot. He'll get a spot on the NHL team. The best Russians don't come over without that guarantee.

Question 3: Its possible, but there's no assurances with prospects.

Question 4: He'll get an ELC when he comes over. His salary will depend on his play.

If it looks like he's going to be the backup again for SKA, is there any chance that we might get him over here next year? Or is it almost a certainty that he sticks out his contract there regardless of usage?

Not unless he's already told SKA he's buying out the final year of his contract. It has to be done 18 months in advance of the end of the contract. We probably would've heard by now if it happened.

And he's not really a back up. Its more of a 1A/1B situation. Koskinen has played 28 games, Shestyorkin 27 games. Shestyorkin also has dealt with some injuries, so if not, he might be leading the time share, like he did last season. I think Koskinen is still preferred in the playoffs because experience, but like last playoffs, I don't think he has a lock on the spot, and Shestyorkin could get some playing time in the playoffs, as well. Koskinen's contract is also up after this season.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
All the OAR arent in the team today, so no Shestyorkin. Rykov is in the lineup. SKA is so stacked that they have two WJC players making their debuts, those guys couldn't even get their debut prior to like 15 players missing.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Koskinen let up 5 today. Last game of the season is Thursday. Maybe Shestyorkin plays, and with a good match he could start to begin the playoffs?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Starts. Rykov is listed on pair 2 with first year draft-eligible Galenyuk. Should be an exciting match and they are also wearing cool jerseys today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad