Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
His ultra-quick reflexes and aggressiveness will help compensate for the size issues. I mean look how Hank’s managed it at 36 years old, and Igor has more lateral mobility. He’s the type of goalie I hated playing against, who makes it seem like you have net to shoot at, and then it’s gone in a split second.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Old interview I came across

"- Do you dream of playing in the NHL?
- Yes, I would like to test myself there. However, I have three years left here yet.
- Maybe you will be called up to a summer training camp?
- This year I didn't have time, maybe next time. I would like to go there and improve my English too.
- Henrik Lundqvist is your idol.
- Yes, he has been for a long time. On games consoles, I play as the New York Rangers. I would like to meet him."

Igor Shestyorkin: "I feel comfortable in Saint Petersburg" - ХК СКА Санкт-Петербург.

"On game consoles, I play as the New York Rangers."

THAT'S MY BOY.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
His ultra-quick reflexes and aggressiveness will help compensate for the size issues. I mean look how Hank’s managed it at 36 years old, and Igor has more lateral mobility. He’s the type of goalie I hated playing against, who makes it seem like you have net to shoot at, and then it’s gone in a split second.

Hank is a hall of fame generational talent. So I don’t think that’s a fair comparison in fact the only two starters shesterkin’s size are in fact quick and Hank two of the best ever. So basically you’d have to be a generational type of talent to play at that size right now. We’ve had this conversation many times here though. It’s why he’s underrated by media alike though. Wasn’t just me making it up

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Hank is a hall of fame generational talent. So I don’t think that’s a fair comparison in fact the only two starters shesterkin’s size are in fact quick and Hank two of the best ever. So basically you’d have to be a generational type of talent to play at that size right now. We’ve had this conversation many times here though. It’s why he’s underrated by media alike though. Wasn’t just me making it up
I’m only comparing playing styles. I really think you’re splitting hairs with his height. He’s listed at 6’1. What’s the distribution of goalie height? A guy like Varlamov is 6’2, which is someone I see Igor devloping into over time.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’m just stating facts man. Only 2 starters in the league under 6 2. This is a main reason he doesn’t get the love from main stream hockey media. I’m certain of it.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I’m just stating facts man. Only 2 starters in the league under 6 2. This is a main reason he doesn’t get the love from main stream hockey media. I’m certain of it.
I understand that, but I’m genuinely asking you as a goalie if that one inch honestly makes a difference in your game. I’d think changes in technique can compensate for this.

I just filtered the numbers for goalies with > 200 min TOI. Seven are less than or equal to six feet tall. Raanta, Halak, Bernier, and Saros are the most significant of the bunch. Half of the goalies fall into the 6’2 or 6’3 range. 8 goalies are 6’1. I just don’t see the big deal

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think it matters much more in terms of torso height than anything else. That one inch absolutely matters between your shoulders and the crossbar when down in the butterfly. There is a reason these bigger guys are getting drafted and and the shorter guys aren’t. It’s not mumbo jumbo. There’s also a similarity in terms of quarterbacks. You like a tall qb to see over traffic. Same for goalies. You’re taught now to stay up higher as long as you can to find point shots thru traffic so the taller the better to see over the shoulders of the screens in front.

I’m a 6 1 goalie I look much bigger than I am because I have a long torso and actually kind of short legs. But flexibility makes that less of an issue.

Look there’s no reason for him to continually be listed behind other guys he’s more talented than other than size. Just isn’t

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think it matters much more in terms of torso height than anything else. That one inch absolutely matters between your shoulders and the crossbar when down in the butterfly. There is a reason these bigger guys are getting drafted and and the shorter guys aren’t. It’s not mumbo jumbo. There’s also a similarity in terms of quarterbacks. You like a tall qb to see over traffic. Same for goalies. You’re taught now to stay up higher as long as you can to find point shots thru traffic so the taller the better to see over the shoulders of the screens in front.

I’m a 6 1 goalie I look much bigger than I am because I have a long torso and actually kind of short legs. But flexibility makes that less of an issue.

Look there’s no reason for him to continually be listed behind other guys he’s more talented than other than size. Just isn’t
Well we definitely agree that the rankings are skewed. I can’t comment on his torso length because I’m not the NYR physician (yet :D)

Reactions: Kovalev27

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
When that guy played, goalies were big and slow or smaller and fast.

Now they are big and fast. Obviously a big guy that can’t move is irrelevant

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
When that guy played, goalies were big and slow or smaller and fast.

Now they are big and fast. Obviously a big guy that can’t move is irrelevant
Size could help but a one inch difference won't make or break Shesty

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Saros (Preds blue chip goalie prospect) is 5'10 and has played 14 NHL games this year with a save percentage of .927 and had .923 in 21 games last year. You can still be a good goalie at those heights and Shesty is good enough to make up for it

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He also plays behind the best Defense in hockey. He’s also a back up who’s played 14 games. I didn’t say shesterkin couldn’t be a back up. We are expecting much more. We’ve played Nashville and against him and have all mentioned the holes he leaves due to his size.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Not sure why Kovalev is trying to find every excuse to trash Shesterkin...

How has he trashed him? Unless pointing out facts that are measurable (his size vs other NHL starting goalies) is trashign him. Where has he said anything against his ability to stop the puck?

Reading comprehension would make this place much more enjoyable, but I guess not nearly as time killing.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It's a fair point to be "worried" about his size but I don't think it's worth harping on it either. Internet message boards have the problem of everyone wanting to make sure that their opinion is heard so the same stuff gets repeated a lot unnecessarily. Not talking about Kovalev's posting in particular just the general idea that for every time someone praises a prospect, it's likely someone else is going to feel the need to respond with their critical opinion because goddammit it's the Internet and people better hear what I have to say.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
How has he trashed him? Unless pointing out facts that are measurable (his size vs other NHL starting goalies) is trashign him. Where has he said anything against his ability to stop the puck?

Reading comprehension would make this place much more enjoyable, but I guess not nearly as time killing.

Basically focusing on one inch of height. Because he's 6'1 and all goalies are 6'2 and up!

Reactions: Rangers743

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
It's almost like the argument in football that a short QB can't succeed. Montana, Brees, and Wilson have all had pretty good careers I'd say. You want to be skeptical about the size? Okay I'm fine with that, most short players don't succeed but if you can play, you can play. It's as simple as that and it sounds like the kid has all the skill in the world to make up for being short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad