Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Didn't make the bench again today.

I think he's injured again. Maybe its the same injury. He was listed on the travel roster for this road-trip for SKA, yet wasn't the starter or back up for either, which doesn't make much sense, unless he's not available to play. Also, they only listed 3 goalies on the travel squad, yet their 4th keeper was on the bench today, so maybe he was brought into the road-trip later after it was realized that Shestyorkin and the 3rd goalie weren't available.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
nice, Igor not going to olympics

I should amend what I said.

He will not be going to the Olympics under the Russian flag.

There is still a chance that the Russian team plays under the Olympic flag. I guess there's no real difference to us Ranger fans, probably just won't be wearing the Russian jersey, but to Russians, who knows how they'll respond? Maybe the KHL won't release any players, maybe Putin and the Russian government won't allow Russian athletes to compete under the Olympic flag, maybe the players will decide they don't want to compete under the Olympic flag.

He's been named to Russia's roster for the Channel One Cup, which starts in over a week, so I guess he's not too seriously injured.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Injured.

Goalkeeper St. Petersburg SKA Igor Shesterkin was injured and left the team, which continues the exit series, the commentator on the air of the channel "78", referring to the coach of goalkeepers team Rashit Davydov. The degree of severity of damage in Shestekin is not high, instead of him "SKA-Neva" goalkeeper Alexey Melnichuk is called to the "army team".

21-year-old Шестёркин this season took part in 20 matches, having won 18 wins with a reliability factor of 1.57 and a percentage of reflected shots of 94.1.

Вратарь СКА Шестёркин получил травму и отправился с выезда в Петербург

TUQ

Mar 24, 2004
I should amend what I said.

He will not be going to the Olympics under the Russian flag.

There is still a chance that the Russian team plays under the Olympic flag. I guess there's no real difference to us Ranger fans, probably just won't be wearing the Russian jersey, but to Russians, who knows how they'll respond? Maybe the KHL won't release any players, maybe Putin and the Russian government won't allow Russian athletes to compete under the Olympic flag, maybe the players will decide they don't want to compete under the Olympic flag.

He's been named to Russia's roster for the Channel One Cup, which starts in over a week, so I guess he's not too seriously injured.

Do they really have almost an entire Russia representing roster from the players out of two teams?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The KHL "have to" release the players to the OGs, but who knows what will happen.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
And the National B team thats playing a tournament in Norway has 11 of their players from those two teams, as well. Very top heavy league.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
This boy is such an exiting prospect. Glad we are quite deep when it comes to goaltending prospects, however, what he has managed in the KHL is exiting for the future of our club.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is not really much of a surprise. He's played once in the last month. He's been injured. Hopefully he will return soon.

Russian national team head coach Oleg Znarok:
- At the moment, ten KHL clubs are represented in the senior and Olympic national teams. With regards to SKA's and CSKA's representation, then these two clubs are our championship's leaders. Ilya Kovalchuk will be the captain for this tournament, with Sergei Shirokov and Sergei Andronov being his assistants. Vasily Koshechkin and Ilya Sorokin will be the goalkeepers who play at the tournament. We haven't decided who will start the first game. If we talk about Koshechkin, then I spoke about having an experienced goalkeeper before the Karjala Cup. We know that Vasily plays well in important playoff matches. He has played in two Gagarin Cup finals. We decided to test him. Experience is experience.
Pavel Datsyuk has just recovered from an injury, he played against Sochi and got match practice. He can play, but he hasn't yet picked up the physical condition which would please us. As a result, Datsyuk won't play in Moscow. Overall, you can say that 90% of this team will play at the Olympics. We will look at three or four players in the Olympic team in Norway.

RIHF :: Oleg Znarok: "The team's captain will be Ilya Kovalchuk"

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
This boy is such an exiting prospect. Glad we are quite deep when it comes to goaltending prospects, however, what he has managed in the KHL is exiting for the future of our club.
Thing is outside of Shesty I'm not sure we are very deep at tender. Halverson looks like he's busting. Wall is having a terrible year and lost his starting job to a freshman. Nell and Georgiev seem meh so far. Maybe Huska turns into something.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Thing is outside of Shesty I'm not sure we are very deep at tender. Halverson looks like he's busting. Wall is having a terrible year and lost his starting job to a freshman. Nell and Georgiev seem meh so far. Maybe Huska turns into something.

If both Shestorkin and Huska become NHLers that's 1/3 of the above mentioned goalies in the system which is very good.

Wall has time to rebound and size to his advantage. Even if he stinks the rest of this year, he'll have time to rebound.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The guy that took over in net for UML is a Junior, not a Freshman. And Wall is a Sophomore. He has been brutal for sure, but he showed some pretty good potential last year.

Huska is having a nice year. He doesn't have a ton in front of him. The team has six mid-to-late round picks. The guy doesn't get much help. I liked him better than Wall last year because Wall played on a defensive powerhouse and Huska played behind a sieve. Same reason this year that I feel Huska is outperforming his numbers.

Nell was pretty well-regarded coming out of college. Georgiev I don't really know much about. They've kind of had a Huska thing going on in that Hartford's defense isn't very good at playing defense. Not to say Nell and Georgiev have been great, but I don't think they've been bad, like the numbers suggest.

Shestyorkin and Huska are nice to have. It would be great if one of the others stepped up a little. I'm sure we'll draft another goalie late or go after one of the top UDFA goalies. They may try to dump Halverson. Mazanec is RFA and what he does from here out determines whether he comes back. I'm not sold on Georgiev sticking around; if he becomes the permanent backup or even gets demoted I would think there's a chance he tries to get out of his deal or goes on loan next year. It's always a revolving door of goalies.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017

I think compared to other positions in the org. then at Goalie we are doing quite well on prospects. Haven't given up on Wall, though, on Halverson, it does certainly look disappointing. And that's a bit of a knock because if he was still playing up to the level he displayed at first, that would be incredible.

Not an exact science of course, especially with goaltenders. We need to hope Shesty continues his curve and I know a lot of people are high on Huska.

We've been spoiled with Hank, we really have.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
We are top 5 in the league in goalie prospects, maybe a good contender for first. We got arguably the top goalie prospect, another guy who's probably just outside the top 10 in Huska, and I still think Wall is good. He's a young goalie, gotta give him time to develop and not freak out over a few bad games. He probably won't start his pro career for another few seasons anyway.

Clear out Halverson and potentially Nell after this season. Give Georgiyev another season, see how he does.

That said, I'd draft another goalie in the upcoming draft. Some goalies I like from the upcoming draft that can probably be had in the 2nd round or later. Lukas Dostal, Jacob Ingham, Amir Miftakhov, Akira Schmid

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was on the bench today. I don't understand what's going on here.

He's played one match in the last month and a half, and reportedly has had some undisclosed minor injuries. Koskinen has played a lot recently. If Shestyorkin's fit, why isn't he playing? If he's not fit, why is he on the bench? I can understand having a rotation, but Koskinen has played nearly every recent game. He's having a better season than Koskinen, so you'd think SKA would want to get their best goalie some matches after missing so much time with injury.

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
The coach has stated that Igor will probably get his next start on the 27th. I’m not sure what has been going on, he’s been back for a few games now but they didn’t play him once. I hope he comes back strong, SKA doesn’t seem like a team that gives players much time to adjust if they’re playing poorly.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Maybe there's something going on behind the scenes with his contract. I surely wouldn't mind if this was his last season in the KHL, and he's playing for the Rangers next season.

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
Maybe there's something going on behind the scenes with his contract. I surely wouldn't mind if this was his last season in the KHL, and he's playing for the Rangers next season.
That would be a surprising, but welcome outcome. To me, he has already proven himself in the KHL and I would like him to face harder opponents as soon as possible.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
He was on the bench today. I don't understand what's going on here.

He's played one match in the last month and a half, and reportedly has had some undisclosed minor injuries. Koskinen has played a lot recently. If Shestyorkin's fit, why isn't he playing? If he's not fit, why is he on the bench? I can understand having a rotation, but Koskinen has played nearly every recent game. He's having a better season than Koskinen, so you'd think SKA would want to get their best goalie some matches after missing so much time with injury.

Glad they are treating him this way. Hopefully he walks out on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad