Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
One year, but it has a buyout option he can take.

Personally, I am hoping he goes that route and gets in the organization with a chance to work with Allaire and backup Lundqvist.

Yea would be nice to have a few back up years learning from Hank

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Shestyorkin's teammate. His experience in the NHL.

- With what emotions have you returned to Saint Petersburg?
- Of course I'm happy. It's the best option for me. I have kept an eye on SKA's matches, it's clear that the team has changed but the system here allows the club to perform well. Young players such as Mikhail Maltsev and Andrei Altybarmakyan are on the rise. In all of the leagues, the city's teams are in first place and that's great. The promises which I was given in America didn't come off, but everything works out for the best. A lot of other SKA players who are here now have gone down this route, it's probably the correct strategy. Now I know that Russian players should think ten times before leaving for abroad, it's different from what the clubs and agents tell you.
- Speak about what happened in America.
- There weren't any problems with training, I was told that they count on me. Before the season's start, I was told by the general manager that they need to send a player to the AHL, and I am that man. He said for me to help them in order to trade defensemen, and then I will make my debut. On game day, they called me to say that they didn't have time to get the business done, and that I had to play in the AHL. Face to face I was told one thing, but when it came to hockey, the story changed.
- You scored on your debut.
- We won, but the coach said that I'm not going to play a lot at the moment. I was told that everything's fine, but I'm going to be in the fourth line. I didn't need to be on the powerplay, I simply wanted to play in every game.
- You were sent to the AHL again.
- Yes, I was told to go to the AHL, but I was immediately given a transfer card. In doing so, they let me know that I need to search for a new team. I read what was being written, and I didn't understand what was happening - it was like they wanted me to cancel my contract. Vegas didn't search for other options, despite it being the better option for them. They obviously wanted me to cancel the contract and give them money. I saw that they said I didn't come to the game, even though there wasn't a morning skate. Also, I heard that if I play well in the AHL, I still won't be played in the first team. After all of this, I decided that I didn't want to be there. My agent spoke with the general manager, they agreed that we need a few days to search for a new team. Because of that, I left Chicago for Las Vegas. George McPhee didn't tell the Chicago Wolves about that discussion, so it was assumed that I left the team on purpose. In the press, there was a story that I travelled to my wife because she doesn't speak English. Where did that come from? I spoke with my family at home, and after months of uncertainty, smiles, discussions which didn't have anything to do with reality, we decided to give them money and return to Russia.
- Were there physical problems?
- The media wrote that I arrived in bad shape, but why did they draw those conclusions. I played in three games, performing well for my ten minutes ice time. The guys in the team didn't know what was going on either. The only good thing there was the group we had. There were fun guys there, but I didn't feel too positive.
- How did you leave the club?
- When I stated that I don't want to be in the NHL and I'm ready to give my bonuses, the agent phoned the club and organised everything. There were calls to the league and the players association, so the situation dragged on to this day.
- Was SKA the only option?
- I stated that when the contract is sorted, I won't speak with anyone. I want to return to SKA and play for the club with which I won two Gagarin Cups. I have only nice memories here. However, first of all, I had to speak with the board and coaches to see whether they're waiting for me. I couldn't train in Las Vegas, but I was given a chance to work out at Hockey City by SKA when arriving. I was told that the situation will be sorted out when I get the paperwork from the USA, but Vegas didn't sign the documents for a while. I knew that SKA had won 20 consecutive games and not lost in regulation for a long time. I knew that they could say: "Sorry, we don't need you," but the club helped me and I am grateful.
- Are you ready to play now?
- I have worked on the ice and in the gym with coaches. I have missed ice hockey, but I can analyse my physical shape after training with the team. When you are alone, it's hard to analyse.
- What can you take from this incident?
- I am happy to have returned, but a bit said that it turned out that way. I have only taken the puck with which I scored away from Vegas. However, even a negative experience helps you appreciate how things worked in Saint Petersburg.

Vadim Shipachyov: "A negative experience helped me appreciate my time with SKA" - ХК СКА Санкт-Петербург.

Reactions: haveandare

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
So is Shesterkin the backup?

He wasn't the back up today, the third goalie who didn't play was the back up.

Hard to know, at this point. Sorokin performed better in these games, most seemed to think Shestyorkin was the starter with Sorokin on his heels coming into this tournament. Shestyorkin's been the better of the two goalies the last year for Russia and in the KHL.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Shesterkin didn't do himself any favors by being a losing goalie against the Finns. He's neck in neck against Sorokin for Team Russia starting goalie. Is the schedule for the Olympic hockey out? Are they going to get a few easy games against lesser competition to determine who will be the starter when elimination rounds start? And even then there's going to be a pretty short leash if either allows a soft goal and the team is down.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Shesterkin didn't do himself any favors by being a losing goalie against the Finns. He's neck in neck against Sorokin for Team Russia starting goalie. Is the schedule for the Olympic hockey out? Are they going to get a few easy games against lesser competition to determine who will be the starter when elimination rounds start? And even then there's going to be a pretty short leash if either allows a soft goal and the team is down.

So just like the 2015 WJC, crazy how things haven't changed at all. :laugh:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
There are reports on Russian sites claiming Shesterkin had a minor injuring during the just completed international tourney. I've seen no details.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He had missed a match recently with SKA due to "rest", but it seemed like it might've been injury, so its very possible he's been playing injured recently, it would explain his poor play of late.

Also, the reason he was not at the game yesterday also might have something to do with the fact that SKA plays in the Far East tomorrow, less than two full days after the last Karjala Cup match. He could've very well left after he got his match in. That seems to be poor scheduling by the KHL, like half SKA's team plays for Russia on these international breaks, why would you schedule them in the Far East two days after the last match?

Anyway, tomorrow they play in Vladivostok, 4:30 AM NY time. Same time Thursday in Khabarovsk and Saturday in Shanghai.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Same problem today. He's on the roster for the trip. If he was so seriously injured, I don't know why they'd include him on the Far East trip. Maybe he'll be back next game.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Well,

I think there are so many factors that differ in Shestyorkin's situation compared to Shipachyov.

1. We are the team who drafted him
2. He is younger
3. This team has Buchnevich who is becoming a success story as a Russian, and played with him at SKA

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He seems to be good buddies with Kovalchuk, as well, which is an interesting situation. Maybe we add Kovalchuk and Shestyorkin at the same time? I wonder if we added Kovalchuk if Shestyorkin would be willing to come over this offseason.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Interesting tidbit: in today's game against Ugra, SKA starting goalie is their 19-year old prospect Alexey Melnichuk who just had a pretty good series for Russia's U20 team against Teams WHL, OHL and Q in the Challenge Series. Would it have an impact on timing of Shesterkin's decision to join the Rangers?

P.S. Shesterkin is still out. Koskinen is today's backup.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Interesting tidbit: in today's game against Ugra, SKA starting goalie is their 19-year old prospect Alexey Melnichuk who just had a pretty good series for Russia's U20 team against Teams WHL, OHL and Q in the Challenge Series. Would it have an impact on timing of Shesterkin's decision to join the Rangers?

P.S. Shesterkin is still out. Koskinen is today's backup.

I don't think it would have anything to do with that.

Koskinen played three in a row, and they had a game three days after coming back from the far east. Their 3rd keeper is not someone they find suitable to play. Its like a big football club that has a 3rd keeper who sucks and is actually like a 2nd division keeper but will take the improved wages to be a 3rd keeper who trains with the team and occasionally sits on the bench. So if Shestyorkin is still injured, they don't want to play the 3rd keeper, Koskinen isn't going to play because he played the last three and they don't particularly need to win this game, they can give a young keeper a game.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hmmm, I was simply implying that SKA will have an easier time letting Shesterkin go if they already had an up and coming goalie in their system that earned a chance to play. Melnichuk seems to / could be that goalie.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hmmm, I was simply implying that SKA will have an easier time letting Shesterkin go if they already had an up and coming goalie in their system that earned a chance to play. Melnichuk seems to / could be that goalie.

Thats a good point. Lets root for Melnichuk to have an excellent WJC and start earning some hype, that can't hurt.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Back on the bench today, so he might be ready to play soon.

There would seem to be a good chance that he'll play the game that @Amazing Kreiderman will be at, if they are still doing the two game rotations. Koskinen would get this game and the next one, and the game after that is the KHL Outdoor Game.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad